Can I train mma in my 50s

Quasar44

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 21, 2020
Phoenix, AZ
I am 45 and train twice a week
I am like an older car that has very few mileage on it ( kind of sitting in the garage for decades )
Obviously I don’t have any delusions of grandeur and i only train for self defense and hobby !!

Been in Vegas only 3.5 years and came super close to 4 fights!!!
1) Whole Foods 2) neighbor in the parking lot
3) ex- employee 4) ex- employee

My goal is to keep training my last 4-5 yrs in Vegas because we have the best gyms
I think I can train until my late 50s !!
When I hit 60..no way

I even look 35

From 2000 to 2010 my entire life was tennis !!
Tennis 4 days a week
Then in 2011-2016 ..I did tennis but added on Krav Maga and Muay Thai
Then in 2018 ..I started grappling ( hardest thing I have ever did in my life )

Tennis is a bunch of vociferous stick boys who whine about every thing

I only do the beginner classes !!
I don’t see why I can’t !! I feel young

The problem when you are athletic but getting past 45 is that you lose elasticity in your muscles. I had a friend who was in his mid 40s and went all in on cross fit. Within a few months he blew his shoulder out doing handstand pushups. Surgery. He healed up and went back to crossfit. Within a few months he tore his miniscus doing some crazy leg lifts. Surgery. After that one, he quit and just went back to standard weight lifting.

I am like an older car that has very few mileage on it ( kind of sitting in the garage for decades )
Obviously I don’t have any delusions of grandeur and i only train for self defense and hobby !!

My goal is to keep training my last 4-5 yrs in Vegas because we have the best gyms
When I hit 60..no way

I even look 35
What sort of training did you do when you were 20-30 years younger? Were you athletic?

When I hit 60..no way

I even look 35

Sounds like you need a bit of therapy and anger management.

As for MMA, nothing wrong with staying fit. Just don't try to spar with anyone other than other seniors.

When I hit 60..no way

I even look 35
What sort of training did you do when you were 20-30 years younger? Were you athletic?
In my 20s ..I did zero Sports

When I hit 60..no way

I even look 35

Sounds like you need a bit of therapy and anger management.

As for MMA, nothing wrong with staying fit. Just don't try to spar with anyone other than other seniors.
The whole class is 16-30
We only do light sparing

I just turned 62. It takes me a'lot of warm up and stretching exercise before I start any vigorous routines. I suggest you do the same. I can still give the younger guys a good work out in grappling matches. It just takes longer to recover. If your healthy you should do fine.

I just turned 62. It takes me a'lot of warm up and stretching exercise before I start any vigorous routines. I suggest you do the same. I can still give the younger guys a good work out in grappling matches. It just takes longer to recover. If your healthy you should do fine.
Do you train in judo or bjj
??

Not like I am ever going to fight lol
I get in enough fights in life !!
I will leave the cage to the real warriors

Do you train in judo or bjj
??
No formal training. My father taught me some and I self learned. I did it for my own self defense. I have been known since I was a child to have a hard punch but submission grappling seemed to suit me. I've been in some tough street fights in my younger days and submission grappling served me well and kept me from getting seriously injured or killed. I got a real kick out of the expression on the face of school bullies in high school when I threw them.

If you're a grown man and so many people want to fight you, it's time for some introspection.

(and what the hell does anyone fight in Whole Foods about? Over-priced produce?)

If you're a grown man and so many people want to fight you, it's time for some introspection.

(and what the hell does anyone fight in Whole Foods about? Over-priced produce?)
No
A “ creature “ in front of me in the line was talking very loudly and calling all T supporters “White Sup. And Nazis “

No
A “ creature “ in front of me in the line was talking very loudly and calling all T supporters “White Sup. And Nazis “

And you were wise enough to know that crazy SOBs love attention, so you didn't give him any, right?

No

And you were wise enough to know that crazy SOBs love attention, so you didn't give him any, right?
I agree , I should have blocked it out ( I usually do )..it was very immature and sophomoric of me !!
Still it was a great show as we exchanged verbal jabs and I called him “ street trash “ etc

When I hit 60..no way

I even look 35
100% yes. We have people in their 70s that train.

Forum List

Back