Can anyone tell me why the liberal emphasis on inequality rather than poverty?

Poverty is a status that can be changed. Equality does not exist without tyranny.
Yes and no Tipsycatlover
The fixes that Liberals want and can be forced within a 4 year term involve govt support of people in a state of poverty WITHOUT changing the real causes.
That isn't a real change to poverty
which takes longterm education and
training in ownership and self reliance,
not depending on Govt which is only
for the quick sounding fixes that sell politically for election campaigns.

As for Equality, Liberals like DuBois lobbied for Equality to be established by recognizing political rights "through govt."
Again, yes and no, the short term fix of
forcing this isn't a real solution but a protest of the problems that sells in the media.

The REAL equality comes from equal ownership and respect for the laws.

That comes from people, before govt reflects the equal authority established by the people as the source. This takes years.

The uprising of voices in protest now are because the unequal access and knowledge of the laws has to be addressed. Liberals think you can get there by forcing govt to change policies and force MORE laws on the people to feel they are equally heard represented and protected.
But Conservatives are saying that doesn't change the dynamic. The inequality is rooted in people being controlled by govt in the first place, instead of people governing ourselves as the default, where we run the govt not the govt running us.

Liberals come across like domestic abuse victims wanting to sue the abusive partner to pay them more money to take care of their needs on their terms and just change the behavior while still relying on govt.

Conservatives are like people who want out of the abusive relationship and run their own households on their own.

Just throwing more money at poverty only keeps people dependent and doesn't motivate change. So that relationship will never be equal and poverty will remain.

Breaking free and learning to manage independently will eventually lead to equal standing. But it takes time and mentorship. The resources needed to support the work and education and training are not overnight fixes. Most poor cannot afford that learning curve but will need mass microloans for business training and schools they can access while working to support families at the same time.

Liberals want this but don't have the resources to set it up without help. So they turn to govt to force the help from taxpayers unless Corporate sponsors or donors with the access to capital and experience agree to fund such antipoverty measures by tax breaks instead of relying on govt to fund this through student loans or welfare, bailouts or other grants that aren't guaranteed to go toward sustainable solutions.

The Democrats don't talk about poverty because no one, except for the homeless, is poor anymore.
I think you are right! But it seems odd how they were able to switch and get so much traction so quickly on a totally idiotic issue. ...
I’m aware of a substantial segment of United States population being financially poor, but prior to reading Blackrook’s and Edward’s posts, I was unaware that all of them are also homeless.

Contending particularly liberals believe that inequality is of greater than concern for poverty within our nation, is Edward’s, and I suppose may possibly be Blackrook’s opinion. Their opinions are not based or supported by facts.
I’m not aware of a majority of any particularly defined segments within our nation’s spectrums of political among groups or individuals’ have a greater concern for inequality rather than poverty within our nation. I disagree with the rational of Edward’s statement, (i.e. the title of this thread). Edward's statement 's not factually supported.

Respectfully, Supposn

The Democrats don't talk about poverty because no one, except for the homeless, is poor anymore.
I think you are right! But it seems odd how they were able to switch and get so much traction so quickly on a totally idiotic issue. ...
I’m aware of a substantial segment of United States population being financially poor, but prior to reading Blackrook’s and Edward’s posts, I was unaware that all of them are also homeless.

Contending particularly liberals believe that inequality is of greater than concern for poverty within our nation, is Edward’s, and I suppose may possibly be Blackrook’s opinion. Their opinions are not based or supported by facts.
I’m not aware of a majority of any particularly defined segments within our nation’s spectrums of political among groups or individuals’ have a greater concern for inequality rather than poverty within our nation. I disagree with the rational of Edward’s statement, (i.e. the title of this thread). Edward's statement 's not factually supported.

Respectfully, Supposn

Notice Obama and others, including Hillary, said inequality, not poverty, is the defining issue of our time. Embarrassing.

www.washingtonpost.com › plum-line › 2013/12/04 › i...

Dec 4, 2013 - Obama gives a speech that inequality experts will see as one of the most important presidential addresses in some time.

Yes, the Political and Economic Issue of Our Time Really Is ...
verdict.justia.com › 2017/09/21 › yes-political-economi...

Sep 21, 2017 - George Washington law professor and economist Neil H. Buchanan argues that economic inequality is the political and economic issue of our...
You visited this page on 5/25/20.

Forum List

Back