California governor Gavin Newsom, who suports green energy, demands an investigation to find out why clouds and weak wind caused widespread blackouts

My nephew in California who is 34 YO told me that they can get power from the grid when the sun isn't shinning or the wind isn't blowing.

YCMTSU. He thinks the grid is a giant battery.

This is the problem. Ignorance.

Though not technically correct, this is how we're taught in the solar industry to think of the relationship between a grid-tie solar power system, and the utility grid itself.

A true off-grid system, of course, has to have batteries. You need enough panels to produce plenty of surplus when they are producing, with the extra being stored in the batteries, for use during nonproductive times.

In a grid-tie system, when you're producing a surplus, you “sell” that surplus to the utility, against what you use later, when you're not producing enough. The grid provides the same function, therefore, that the batteries provide in a standalone system. The big difference is that with a grid-tie system, you don't need enough surplus when you're producing to cover what you'll use when you're not, and in fact, very few grid-tie systems achieve a net surplus. Whatever you use, in total, beyond what you produce yourself, you buy from the utility. With an off-grid system, if you use more power, in total, than you produce, then you'll run out and be without power for a while, until you can produce more.

And, of course, a grid-tie system is vulnerable to blackouts from the utility. Most grid-tie systems do not produce enough power, by themselves, to meet the needs of the building that they power, so if there's a blackout you experience it too.
My point was is that my Nephew was trying to explain to me how we could be 100% solar. that's the basis of this conversation.

California Governor Gavin Newsom is against nuclear power and fossil fuels. He has been getting rid of those reliable sources of electricity, and replacing them with solar power (which only work when the sun is shining) and wind power (which only works when the wind is blowing).

California recently had widespread blackouts.

California’s Independent System Operator had been warning for years that the state’s growing dependence on solar and wind power could lead to blackouts. The organization blamed the state’s recent blackouts on clouds and weak wind. And now Governor Newsom is demanding an investigation to see how and why clouds and weak wind prevented California’s solar panels and windmills from operating at their maximum possible capacity.

Governor Newsom is a hypocrite and an idiot.

Here’s an article about it from the Wall St. Journal:

https://archive.is/fOpT5#selection-2543.0-2543.41

California’s Green Blackouts

If you eliminate fossil fuels, power shortages are inevitable.

By the Editorial Board of the Wall St. Journal

Aug. 19, 2020

Millions of Californians have lost power in recent days amid a brutal heat wave, and state regulators warn of more outages in the days and perhaps years to come. Welcome to California’s green new normal, a harbinger of a fossil-free world.

“These blackouts, which occurred without prior warning or enough time for preparation, are unacceptable and unbefitting of the nation’s largest and most innovative state,” Gov. Gavin Newsom declared Monday while ordering regulators to pull out all stops to keep power on. “This cannot stand.”

Mr. Newsom is demanding an investigation, though he can start with his party’s obsessions over climate and eliminating fossil fuels. Even former Gov. Gray Davis admitted the culprit is the state’s anti-fossil fuel policies. “The bottom line is, people don’t want lights to go down,” he told Politico. “People also want a carbon-free future. Sometimes those two aspirations come into conflict.” They certainly do.

California’s Independent System Operator (Caiso) has been warning for years that the state’s increasing dependence on intermittent renewables, especially solar, is making it harder to ensure reliable power. Renewables currently make up about 36% of California’s electric generation, and Democrats have set a 60% mandate for 2030 and 100% for 2045.

Caiso in part blamed cloud cover, weak winds
A few years ago California's crops were dying in the field with no water, you couldn't water your lawn. but Cal was still dumping half their fresh water into the Gay Bay. It was to save a fish not native to the Sacramento River called a Smelt. They then spent a lot of money to do a count of the Smelt. The count was one. That's one Smelt.

Cal passed a gun law a few years ago that was latter found unconstitutional. Of course the Democrats hit the air ways saying what they say about all gun laws that this law will end crime. As they went about barging and patting them self on the back Cal was releasing thousands of felons from their prisons due to over crowding.

This crap is to crazy to make up and will continue as long as democrats control any part of America. Democrats give genocide a good name.

California had brownouts and blackouts when they didn't use solar or wind generated power also.

That's because California didn't have enough fossil fuel and nuclear plants.

Some people tried to blame California's blackouts on Enron. But Enron was located in Texas. If California had had enough of its own fossil fuel and nuclear plants, it wouldn't have had to rely on importing electricity from other states.

I have been visiting my son out here in Fresno Californication, there are miles of solar panels all over the place, but what i noticed was the amount of dirt on these things. Layers of dust cutting, preventing the cells from achieving their maximum energy input, thus causing a large reduction in electrical output. Just a big waste. But then this is what Democrats love to do...Waste money, time and peoples happiness....

The supporters of solar power are too lazy to clean their own solar panels.

In the past five years, in order to protect the environment, California has shut down 9,000 MW of natural gas capacity – enough to power 6.8 million homes.

I can understand shutting down the natural gas plants – if they were being replaced by new nuclear plants.

But instead of building new nuclear plants, California has been shutting down its already existing nuclear plants, and is planning to close the very last last one in 2025.

Solar power doesn’t work when the sun isn’t shining.

Wind power doesn’t work when the wind isn’t blowing.

Anyone in California who opposes both fossil fuels and nuclear power, but also complains about electricity blackouts, is a hypocrite.

Sources:

California had brownouts and blackouts when they didn't use solar or wind generated power also.
Not very often and even those can be laid at the feet of the liberal ‘environmentalists’ who have been blocking power plant construction and expansion for thirty years at least.

they need conventional or nuclear to be the backbone of the energy production. for now at least.

wave power generation is a fine idea, for where it can work.

i like OTEC, myself. but, we need to start small, prove the concept and work up.

rushing it leads to problems.

There are problems with wave generation, just a couple are that the ocean, especially the surf zone, is a horribly corrosive environment, even high quality stainless steel rusts there and most of the coastline that isn’t public beach is owned by rich liberals who don’t want their pricey ocean views compromised. You know like the ones on the east coast that blocked several windmill farms on the ocean because they would block the view from their expensive waterfront properties.

God. I want on that investigation. It would be the easiest job ever.

Solar power doesn't work when it is cloudy. Windmills don't work when the wind doesn't blow.

BOOM, done. NOw pay me.

mmm, then again, how would I justify charging a million dollars for that report?

I'll need some filler. HEY, maybe I could hire a lib. They are experts at padding shit with meaningless shit that doesn't mean shit.
You need a solution. Luckily I have one. We set up massive diesel generators to power giant fans blowing at the windmills. Bam, no more wind problem. For solar we set up more generators and hook lights up to them shining on the solar panels. Badabing, 24 hour cloud free power.

California Governor Gavin Newsom is against nuclear power and fossil fuels. He has been getting rid of those reliable sources of electricity, and replacing them with solar power (which only work when the sun is shining) and wind power (which only works when the wind is blowing).

California recently had widespread blackouts.

California’s Independent System Operator had been warning for years that the state’s growing dependence on solar and wind power could lead to blackouts. The organization blamed the state’s recent blackouts on clouds and weak wind. And now Governor Newsom is demanding an investigation to see how and why clouds and weak wind prevented California’s solar panels and windmills from operating at their maximum possible capacity.

Governor Newsom is a hypocrite and an idiot.

Here’s an article about it from the Wall St. Journal:

archive.ph

California’s Green Blackouts

If you eliminate fossil fuels, power shortages are inevitable.

By the Editorial Board of the Wall St. Journal

Aug. 19, 2020

Millions of Californians have lost power in recent days amid a brutal heat wave, and state regulators warn of more outages in the days and perhaps years to come. Welcome to California’s green new normal, a harbinger of a fossil-free world.

“These blackouts, which occurred without prior warning or enough time for preparation, are unacceptable and unbefitting of the nation’s largest and most innovative state,” Gov. Gavin Newsom declared Monday while ordering regulators to pull out all stops to keep power on. “This cannot stand.”

Mr. Newsom is demanding an investigation, though he can start with his party’s obsessions over climate and eliminating fossil fuels. Even former Gov. Gray Davis admitted the culprit is the state’s anti-fossil fuel policies. “The bottom line is, people don’t want lights to go down,” he told Politico. “People also want a carbon-free future. Sometimes those two aspirations come into conflict.” They certainly do.

California’s Independent System Operator (Caiso) has been warning for years that the state’s increasing dependence on intermittent renewables, especially solar, is making it harder to ensure reliable power. Renewables currently make up about 36% of California’s electric generation, and Democrats have set a 60% mandate for 2030 and 100% for 2045.

Caiso in part blamed cloud cover, weak winds
Gavin Newson is right up the alley with climate change with fires abound. I don't know what it is about climate change, somethings you republicans don't understand.

Gavin Newson is right up the alley with climate change with fires abound. I don't know what it is about climate change, somethings you republicans don't understand.
Back in 1970 they told us the beaches would be gone in a few years. The same beaches exist today.

They are getting smaller and smaller. They were right, back in the 1970's
The tectonic plates shift. The coastal areas for some reason keep building on the beach areas and islands that protect the mainland. Do you see the removal of buildings in all these areas? Move the beaches back a block? They keep building new structures on areas to where it was back then. Obama has two ocean front properties.

Back in 1970 they told us the beaches would be gone in a few years. The same beaches exist today.

Why? Because someone reacted and changed something?

The hole in the O3-sphere for example is not a big problem any longer since CFCs are not used any more. But now in the moment (since some years as far as I know) China is again using a lot of CFCs - what satellite pictures show very clear. To destroy the O3 protection shield of the planet is an important problem! So who is able to speak with China about this problem? The USA? Since Donald Trump had been a fake-president of the USA I doubt this.

California recently had widespread blackouts. ...

Magic word: "power storage". Hydrogenium for example.

Bwaahhaaaaa......For a Climate Change religious zealot like Gavin moonbeam, his state sure seems to have a lot of fires in it, while in Florida where we arent concerned about rising waters, we havent seen a large fire in decades..Could it be that for the faggots who live in Californication, that it is turning into the new Sodom and Gomorrah?

The hole in the O3-sphere for example is not a big problem any longer since CFCs are not used any more. But now in the moment (since some years as far as I know) China is again using a lot of CFCs - what satellite pictures show very clear. To destroy the O3 protection shield of the planet is an important problem! So who is able to speak with China about this problem? The USA? Since Donald Trump had been a fake-president of the USA I doubt this.
Ozone: The Hole Truth
But WMO concedes that no statistically significant long-term trends have been detected, noting earlier this year that "outside the polar regions, ozone depletion has been relatively small, hence, in many places, increases in UV due to this depletion are difficult to separate from the increases caused by other factors, such as changes in cloud and aerosol." In short, the impact of ozone depletion on UVB over populated regions is so small that it's hard to detect.
So people like Al Jazeera Gore had to change the panic topic from Ozone depletion to....wait for it....."Globull Warming". Errr i mean Global Climate Change......Because after his warming predictions didnt happen for warming and the Ice increased at the poles everything that happens with weather, is now Climate Bullshit Change.

You're actually repeating the "hole in the ozone layer" hoax? Hahahaha hahaha

More people living there more power demands and a super hot summer is a perfect formula for electrical troubles. We have them at the campgrounds with the campers and RV's sucking more juice makes those breakers pop and the circuit hot.
Um, people are leaving in record numbers, trollie.

An idiot is still smarter than a Joe Biden voter..

Binet-Simon_scale.jpg

Forum List

Back