Buster Douglas Mike Tyson 30 for 30 tomorrow night

Mike Tyson was 20 years old when he won the heavyweight belt. Barely 20 as it were. Think about how that for a moment.

I don't know how many of you were watching Tysons fights during these years, but he was an Atom bomb, moved in one direction, left to right like an alien until he caught his prey. Even in this first loss to Buster, as I suggested, he hit the much bigger Douglas with one real solid punch all night, and it immediately dropped him to a count of 9, requiring the end of the round to save him.

There was simply no fighter then or since like him. Much like a Joe Louis, he just redefined the sport, in the most raw and savage manner. Forget beauty and style points, he was going to knock you out. Again, in his prime and with one focus, I say he beats Ali.

Here is an interesting analysis of both fighters, he makes some very important points about Tysons head movement being side to side, and the videos illustrate this. He stalked and struck like a cobra, with such power that often one or two punches was enough.

Ali would rely on holding and trying to keep Tyson at bay with his jab. For my money, I would say he wouldn't be successful. If he was lucky it would be a quick uppercut and lights out. I'd hate to see him try and absorb punches as he did with Frazier and hope to stay on his feet. It would be very dangerous if he could even be successful at it.

A Brutally Honest Look at Mike Tyson versus Muhammad Ali
Ali beat Joe Frazier who could be Tyson for 15 rounds
He beat Sonny Liston when people thought Liston would literally kill him
He beat George Forman in his prime when Forman was looked at as indestructible

He would have danced and tied up Tyson for five rounds and thoroughly frustrated him
Then he would have moved in for the kill

I’ve seen a few Ali fights on video to know he wasn’t nearly as close to the physical specimen Holyfield was nonetheless Tyson. A prime Tyson knocks Ali out in the first round.

I was shocked I tell ya, shocked! Douglas knocked him the fuck out!

Tyson had a great run up until then. He's a bad mofo and had good training.

That's before he got hungry for Holyfield's ear.

I’ve seen a few Ali fights on video to know he wasn’t nearly as close to the physical specimen Holyfield was nonetheless Tyson. A prime Tyson knocks Ali out in the first round.

Nope
iu

Them Michigan people hate him for some reason, but he had skills.

Mike Tyson was 20 years old when he won the heavyweight belt. Barely 20 as it were. Think about how that for a moment.

I don't know how many of you were watching Tysons fights during these years, but he was an Atom bomb, moved in one direction, left to right like an alien until he caught his prey. Even in this first loss to Buster, as I suggested, he hit the much bigger Douglas with one real solid punch all night, and it immediately dropped him to a count of 9, requiring the end of the round to save him.

There was simply no fighter then or since like him. Much like a Joe Louis, he just redefined the sport, in the most raw and savage manner. Forget beauty and style points, he was going to knock you out. Again, in his prime and with one focus, I say he beats Ali.

Here is an interesting analysis of both fighters, he makes some very important points about Tysons head movement being side to side, and the videos illustrate this. He stalked and struck like a cobra, with such power that often one or two punches was enough.

Ali would rely on holding and trying to keep Tyson at bay with his jab. For my money, I would say he wouldn't be successful. If he was lucky it would be a quick uppercut and lights out. I'd hate to see him try and absorb punches as he did with Frazier and hope to stay on his feet. It would be very dangerous if he could even be successful at it.

A Brutally Honest Look at Mike Tyson versus Muhammad Ali
Ali beat Joe Frazier who could be Tyson for 15 rounds
He beat Sonny Liston when people thought Liston would literally kill him
He beat George Forman in his prime when Forman was looked at as indestructible

He would have danced and tied up Tyson for five rounds and thoroughly frustrated him
Then he would have moved in for the kill

Tyson damn near knocked all his contemporaries when he became champ. Ali was in a lot of wars. There was simply no match for Tyson. And that’s not a knock on his competition. Tyson was head and shoulders above everyone

Nope
iu

Yeah Ali dropping his hands below his waist against Tyson would have ended well.

Nope
iu

Yeah Ali dropping his hands below his waist against Tyson would have ended well.

He might could slip all Tyson has.

There’s a reason Roy Jones jr didn’t play around with Tarver. Same reason Ali would have to fight orthodox against Tyson. Fear of his life!

Ali fights were boring to watch
He danced, tied up the other fighter then threw flurries at the end of the round
But he was wicked smart and took away your advantage

No other fighter beat champions like Liston, Frazier and Forman

Nope
iu

There’s a reason Roy Jones jr didn’t play around with Tarver. Same reason Ali would have to fight orthodox against Tyson. Fear of his life!
Sonny Liston was the Mike Tyson of his day
People feared him

Cassius Clay humiliated him

He danced, tied up the other fighter then threw flurries at the end of the round

What makes for an exciting fight is purely subjective. The point me and Canadian are trying to make was Tyson was a machine. Ali considering all his greatness was a near mortal. The athletes I put in the same category as Tyson were Bo Jackson, Walter Payton, Barry Sanders and Michael Jordan. And that’s it!

Nope
iu

People feared him

Did he knock him out in the first round like Tyson did to spinks?

What makes for an exciting fight is purely subjective. The point me and Canadian are trying to make was Tyson was a machine. Ali considering all his greatness was a near mortal. The athletes I put in the same category as Tyson were Bo Jackson, Walter Payton, Barry Sanders and Michael Jordan. And that’s it!
Tyson was flawed. A one trick pony
Ferocious slugger who could take you out in one punch. But no tactician

Ali could take you out of your game. He would figure out how to neutralize you

He beat HW champs Liston, Frazier and Foreman......All time great sluggers

Want to see a slugger Ali beat?
Look up Ernie Shavers
A ferocious knockout punch
Ali took him out

All the K.O's by Tyson.

Remember, we compare them both in their prime. There is simply no way Ali is going to be able to tie up, the much shorter, more compact and powerful Tyson. You were safe and warm one second, the next, he snaps you with a punch and you're on the mat. It was unlike anything boxing has ever seen. They were quick, vicious fights.

There is nothing civilized about Tysons fighting. You would have to believe that Ali is going to effectively use his jab to avoid any body shots and uppercuts to his head, try to extend the fight past 4 rounds and then win. I just don't see it.

I don't even watch MMA today, I don't like fights in hockey. For the purposes of science, when it comes to boxing, Tyson would beat any other past heavyweight in their primes. He just hit too damn hard and at a lightning quick pace with no regard for his own safety. He also hit hard with both hands...just too difficult to prevent.

Look up Ernie Shavers
Ali took him out

Yes, he was a slugger like no other. You give him no credit for his head movement? His rapid advancement on his opponents, his ability to avoid jabs and responding with bone crushing hooks and lightning speed upper cuts? He was compact, focused and accurate. Watch some of the videos of his uppercut, it's just rapid and definite.

That would be a major error. Just look at how many people he K.O'ed in the first round. Everyone wanted to be a tactician against him, recall the Spinks match. 91 Seconds for what was billed the Fight of the Century.

He had no equal in his prime. The fight against Douglas wasn't even Tyson he still came within one second (and some say a long count) from winning. He was just on another planet. As boxing goes, he was the brawler you couldn't avoid.

Nope
iu

People feared him

Did he knock him out in the first round like Tyson did to spinks?

Michael Spinks is a good example. Light Heabyweight who Tyson destroyed.
One of Tyson’s top victories. Tyson does not have many prestige victories

Ali beat......HW champs
Liston, Patterson,Frazier, Norton, Foreman, and Leon Spinks

Look up Ernie Shavers
Ali took him out

Yes, he was a slugger like no other. You give him no credit for his head movement? His rapid advancement on his opponents, his ability to avoid jabs and responding with bone crushing hooks and lightning speed upper cuts? He was compact, focused and accurate.

That would be a major error. Just look at how many people he K.O'ed in the first round. Everyone wanted to be a tactician against him, recall the Spinks match. 91 Seconds for what was billed the Fight of the Century.

He had no equal in his prime. The fight against Douglas wasn't even Tyson he still came within one second (and some say a long count) from winning. He was just on another planet. As boxing goes, he was the brawler you couldn't avoid.
I loved to watch Tyson. A knockout machine that dominated a six year period but no prestige wins

I hated Ali and what he stood for. But damn, he dominated for twenty years.
I thought he would lose to Liston, Frazier, Norton, Forman.......but he figured out how to win

Tyson was short and a bull. Ali would have danced and tied him up. Frustrate him, mock him, jab him at will

Ali would have got him in later rounds

Look up Ernie Shavers
Ali took him out

Yes, he was a slugger like no other. You give him no credit for his head movement? His rapid advancement on his opponents, his ability to avoid jabs and responding with bone crushing hooks and lightning speed upper cuts? He was compact, focused and accurate.

I loved to watch Tyson. A knockout machine that dominated a six year period but no prestige wins

I hated Ali and what he stood for. But damn, he dominated for twenty years.
I thought he would lose to Liston, Frazier, Norton, Forman.......but he figured out how to win

Tyson was short and a bull. Ali would have danced and tied him up. Frustrate him, mock him, jab him at will

Ali would have got him in later rounds

Well that would have been Alis plan anyways, I don't think he pulls it off.

I don't even put Ali ahead of Frazier or Louis. I think he lost to Frazier in what is unquestionably a curious fight. Notice, these suspicious fights always seem to happen overseas? Japan and Philippines?

If you look at many of Alis wins, you say "wow, look at that punch, the guy flew". You would say that for two or three career punches he's thrown, I've seen Tyson do that a dozen times, before he was even 24 years old.

In my opinion, people like Tyson shouldn't be walking the streets. He was picked up by Cus when he punched out a kid at his Foster Home. That was honestly how he was found. An angry fat little kid. Tyson said left alone he might have murdered and certainly would have been murdered eventually, or at best, living in some run down apartment somewhere. He was naturally angry and his was trained and "programmed" to just hurt. With his physical attributes, nobody would even last three rounds in their prime against him.

It is what it is. There's no doubt with or without D'Amato he would have eventually snapped and become the crazy guy he became, as instinctively that's what he was. His performances in the ring were just demons he was able to unleash in a legal manner.

All the K.O's by Tyson.

Remember, we compare them both in their prime. There is simply no way Ali is going to be able to tie up, the much shorter, more compact and powerful Tyson. You were safe and warm one second, the next, he snaps you with a punch and you're on the mat. It was unlike anything boxing has ever seen. They were quick, vicious fights.

There is nothing civilized about Tysons fighting. You would have to believe that Ali is going to effectively use his jab to avoid any body shots and uppercuts to his head, try to extend the fight past 4 rounds and then win. I just don't see it.

I don't even watch MMA today, I don't like fights in hockey. For the purposes of science, when it comes to boxing, Tyson would beat any other past heavyweight in their primes. He just hit too damn hard and at a lightning quick pace with no regard for his own safety. He also hit hard with both hands...just too difficult to prevent.

Interesting the number of temple knockouts. He knows where to aim. Rock the jaw, straight in, and temple. Tyson knows how to knock out.

I don't like MMA. Once somebody's out like that, it's over.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back