What's new
US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bush Wiretapping Ruled Illegal

Political Junky

Gold Member
Reaction score
Bush wiretapping program takes hit in Calif ruling | Top AP Stories | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

By PAUL ELIAS Associated Press Writer © 2010 The Associated Press :clap2:
March 31, 2010, 7:31PM

SAN FRANCISCO — In a repudiation of the Bush administration's now-defunct terrorist surveillance effort, a federal judge ruled Wednesday that government investigators illegally wiretapped the phone conversations of an Islamic charity and two American lawyers without a search warrant.

U.S. District Court Judge Vaughn Walker said the plaintiffs provided enough evidence to show "they were subjected to warrantless electronic surveillance" by the National Security Agency.

The judge's 45-page ruling focused narrowly on the case involving the Al-Haramain Islamic Foundation, touching vaguely on the larger question of the program's legality.

Nonetheless, Al-Haramain lawyer Jon Eisenberg said the ruling had larger implications.

"By virtue of finding what the Bush administration did to our clients was illegal, he found that the Terrorist Surveillance Program was unlawful," Eisenberg said.
<more>

kyzr

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I support the Bush/NSA monitoring. It wasn't a "wiretap" and FISA doesn't really apply, since no human was involved. If one end was a terrorist, like the FT hood shooter, and the other was in the ME, like the Ft Hood shooter's emam, then we need to know who is going postal and stop them.

Look at Mioscow. If they has the right intel they could have stopped the attacks. There is no "right to privacy" I hope the USSC sets the rules to help stop terrorists and not to enable them.

Last edited:
OP
Political Junky

Political Junky

Gold Member
Reaction score
Interesting, all the major networks covered this ruling, but in a search of Fox I found zilch.

• Thanks
Reactions: blu

L.K.Eder

unbannable non-troll
Reaction score
Bush wiretapping program takes hit in Calif ruling | Top AP Stories | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

SAN FRANCISCO — In a repudiation of the Bush administration's now-defunct terrorist surveillance effort, a federal judge ruled Wednesday that government investigators illegally wiretapped the phone conversations of an Islamic charity and two American lawyers without a search warrant.

U.S. District Court Judge Vaughn Walker said the plaintiffs provided enough evidence to show "they were subjected to warrantless electronic surveillance" by the National Security Agency.

The judge's 45-page ruling focused narrowly on the case involving the Al-Haramain Islamic Foundation, touching vaguely on the larger question of the program's legality.

Nonetheless, Al-Haramain lawyer Jon Eisenberg said the ruling had larger implications.

"By virtue of finding what the Bush administration did to our clients was illegal, he found that the Terrorist Surveillance Program was unlawful," Eisenberg said.
<more>

should make all the unhinged bush supporters who never were bush supporters but are now obama haters and fearers relax.

uscitizen

Reaction score
Bush pardoned (in legislation) ATT and VErizon for their illegal activities didn't he?

uscitizen

Reaction score

<more>

should make all the unhinged bush supporters who never were bush supporters but are now obama haters and fearers relax.

The only political "news" shows I watch are on the Comedy Channel.
Strangely enough they seem to be the most accurate ones.

My satellite guide lists Billo's show as news....

del

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Interesting, all the major networks covered this ruling, but in a search of Fox I found zilch.

they were probably protecting president obushma

"The ruling came after U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder said the lawsuit threatened to expose ongoing intelligence work and must be thrown out.

In making the argument, the Obama administration agreed with the Bush administration's position on the case but insisted it came to the decision differently."

keep swingin', sooner or later you'll find something that obushma disagreed with his predecessor on.

:rofl:

manu1959

Left Coast Isolationist
Reaction score

<more>

shocking an sf court ruled this shocking i tell you.....

elvis

Rookie
Reaction score
bush wire tapping is illegal. Obama wiretapping, however, is legal.

Father Time

I'll be Still Alive
Reaction score
I support the Bush/NSA monitoring. It wasn't a "wiretap" and FISA doesn't really apply, since no human was involved. If one end was a terrorist, like the FT hood shooter, and the other was in the ME, like the Ft Hood shooter's emam, then we need to know who is going postal and stop them.

Yeah who needs those pesky rights.

Look at Mioscow. If they has the right intel they could have stopped the attacks. There is no "right to privacy" I hope the USSC sets the rules to help stop terrorists and not to enable them.

It was the Supreme Court that made the right to privacy in the first place.

Father Time

I'll be Still Alive
Reaction score

HEY! I sense sarcasm here.

You know full well that if you aren't saying things you shouldn't be saying on the phone, you are never going to be hurt by a wiretap.

:dig:

I truly hate the cliche of 'if you're not doing it wrong than you got nothing to worry about'

I worry about government abusing that power and I generally think my conversations are my own business since I haven't done anything to warrant them spying on me.

George Costanza

A Friendly Liberal
Reaction score

You know full well that if you aren't saying things you shouldn't be saying on the phone, you are never going to be hurt by a wiretap.

I truly hate the cliche of 'if you're not doing it wrong than you got nothing to worry about'

I worry about government abusing that power and I generally think my conversations are my own business since I haven't done anything to warrant them spying on me.

Of course - totally agree. I trust you saw the sarcasm in my post.

Father Time

I'll be Still Alive
Reaction score

Of course - totally agree. I trust you saw the sarcasm in my post.

No. Sorry about that.

USMB Server Goals

Total amount
$350.00
Goal
$350.00

Most reactions - Past 7 days

Forum List