Bush Wiretapping Ruled Illegal

Political Junky

Gold Member
May 27, 2009
Bush wiretapping program takes hit in Calif ruling | Top AP Stories | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

By PAUL ELIAS Associated Press Writer © 2010 The Associated Press :clap2:
March 31, 2010, 7:31PM

SAN FRANCISCO — In a repudiation of the Bush administration's now-defunct terrorist surveillance effort, a federal judge ruled Wednesday that government investigators illegally wiretapped the phone conversations of an Islamic charity and two American lawyers without a search warrant.

U.S. District Court Judge Vaughn Walker said the plaintiffs provided enough evidence to show "they were subjected to warrantless electronic surveillance" by the National Security Agency.

The judge's 45-page ruling focused narrowly on the case involving the Al-Haramain Islamic Foundation, touching vaguely on the larger question of the program's legality.

Nonetheless, Al-Haramain lawyer Jon Eisenberg said the ruling had larger implications.

"By virtue of finding what the Bush administration did to our clients was illegal, he found that the Terrorist Surveillance Program was unlawful," Eisenberg said.
<more>

I support the Bush/NSA monitoring. It wasn't a "wiretap" and FISA doesn't really apply, since no human was involved. If one end was a terrorist, like the FT hood shooter, and the other was in the ME, like the Ft Hood shooter's emam, then we need to know who is going postal and stop them.

Look at Mioscow. If they has the right intel they could have stopped the attacks. There is no "right to privacy" I hope the USSC sets the rules to help stop terrorists and not to enable them.

Last edited:
Interesting, all the major networks covered this ruling, but in a search of Fox I found zilch.

• Thanks
Reactions: blu
Bush wiretapping program takes hit in Calif ruling | Top AP Stories | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

SAN FRANCISCO — In a repudiation of the Bush administration's now-defunct terrorist surveillance effort, a federal judge ruled Wednesday that government investigators illegally wiretapped the phone conversations of an Islamic charity and two American lawyers without a search warrant.

U.S. District Court Judge Vaughn Walker said the plaintiffs provided enough evidence to show "they were subjected to warrantless electronic surveillance" by the National Security Agency.

The judge's 45-page ruling focused narrowly on the case involving the Al-Haramain Islamic Foundation, touching vaguely on the larger question of the program's legality.

Nonetheless, Al-Haramain lawyer Jon Eisenberg said the ruling had larger implications.

"By virtue of finding what the Bush administration did to our clients was illegal, he found that the Terrorist Surveillance Program was unlawful," Eisenberg said.
<more>

should make all the unhinged bush supporters who never were bush supporters but are now obama haters and fearers relax.

<more>

should make all the unhinged bush supporters who never were bush supporters but are now obama haters and fearers relax.

The only political "news" shows I watch are on the Comedy Channel.
Strangely enough they seem to be the most accurate ones.

My satellite guide lists Billo's show as news....

Interesting, all the major networks covered this ruling, but in a search of Fox I found zilch.

they were probably protecting president obushma

"The ruling came after U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder said the lawsuit threatened to expose ongoing intelligence work and must be thrown out.

In making the argument, the Obama administration agreed with the Bush administration's position on the case but insisted it came to the decision differently."

keep swingin', sooner or later you'll find something that obushma disagreed with his predecessor on.

:rofl:

<more>

shocking an sf court ruled this shocking i tell you.....

bush wire tapping is illegal. Obama wiretapping, however, is legal.

I support the Bush/NSA monitoring. It wasn't a "wiretap" and FISA doesn't really apply, since no human was involved. If one end was a terrorist, like the FT hood shooter, and the other was in the ME, like the Ft Hood shooter's emam, then we need to know who is going postal and stop them.

Yeah who needs those pesky rights.

Look at Mioscow. If they has the right intel they could have stopped the attacks. There is no "right to privacy" I hope the USSC sets the rules to help stop terrorists and not to enable them.

It was the Supreme Court that made the right to privacy in the first place.

HEY! I sense sarcasm here.

You know full well that if you aren't saying things you shouldn't be saying on the phone, you are never going to be hurt by a wiretap.

:dig:

I truly hate the cliche of 'if you're not doing it wrong than you got nothing to worry about'

I worry about government abusing that power and I generally think my conversations are my own business since I haven't done anything to warrant them spying on me.

You know full well that if you aren't saying things you shouldn't be saying on the phone, you are never going to be hurt by a wiretap.

I truly hate the cliche of 'if you're not doing it wrong than you got nothing to worry about'

I worry about government abusing that power and I generally think my conversations are my own business since I haven't done anything to warrant them spying on me.

Of course - totally agree. I trust you saw the sarcasm in my post.

Of course - totally agree. I trust you saw the sarcasm in my post.

No. Sorry about that.

New Topics

Forum List

Back