Budgeting weekly meals

It's an hour drive to Sam's from here. You have to save a whole lot of money to justify 3 hours and 4 gallons of gas.4
I have a business account and buy snacks and a lot of paper goods there at $500 a pop. Some things are ust too damned expensive. I can buy cigarettes locally cheaper by the carton than I can buy them by the case at Sam's.
My wife goes there. I work too much..............Might go over there shortly though. We have kittens that were dropped off on our doorstep and she's off to petsmart to get some kitten food. I want to swing by Sears and see if anything is worth buying. Sears at the Mall is going out of business by the end of next month, and I need some new batteries for my cordless drills.

It doesn't say on the pkg ( interesting). So I will assume it's margarine. Sorry. The store brand butter was 2.50 so...

I'm all for getting stuff at lowest possible prices and waiting around for prices to drop. I've got a bin in a local store full of shelf cutouts, dented cans, expiring shelf dates, overstocks, and I'll troll there regularly for deals. But I also have health standards, and those standards when not met can turn cheap food into expensive medical treatments.

So quality comes in to play -- I'd never get butter that I didn't know was RBST-free, and I'd never use margarine for any reason ever. I can't even imagine buying a substance and not knowing whether it's butter or margarine. That could never happen.

That's why the 33-cent bread caught my eye -- I wouldn't even consider Wonder Bread, I don't even consider it a food. The last time I bought a loaf it was gluten-free and cost five bucks. Even if I got regular wheat bread it would still be at least four.

My holdout source for butter (the place I wait until I can get to in order to get real butter) is Trader Joe's and I think last time I went a pound was $3.39 or so. At the local grocery it's closer to five bucks or more.

I always browse the clearance shelves. Got pasta there a few weeks ago for ,50 cents. Oral b toothbrushes for .25 cents. Deodorant for free. On clearance for 1.00 and I had a coupon for a dollar.

There are something's I prefer that are not store brand or packaged though. Coke/ Pepsi...deli meat... Sausage...Brussel sprouts... Pickles.

I love Trader Joes. Have to travel a ways to get there... So I make sure I have money. Love their orange chicken, teriyaki chicken, dark chocolate bark... My kids love the California rolls. See.. I need to go there now. :)

Yeah TJ is fifty miles for me, so it only comes up if I have a bunch of things to do in the city. Some of their stuff is bargainistic, some isn't. One thing I like about TJ is anything that has their name on it is guaranteed to be GMO-free, so I'll get stuff like salsa/tomato products. Cereals and nuts are fair bargains.

Do you have Aldi's in your area? They have some real deals. Owned by the brother of the guy who owns Trader Joe's.

I still like pasta but can't eat it unless it's gluten-free (because it makes fat), so 50c is out of range. Actually I don't even see wheat pasta for that -- my clearance shelf would be at the lowest a dollar a pound. I got GF spaghetti yesterday at 2.29 and that was a bargain.

We have The Vitamin Cottage ( Now natural Grocers I believe). Whole Foods, Sprouts and Trader Joe's.

Here you can buy whole wheat pasta for around 1.00 to a 1.50 at Target, haven't priced it at the health food stores though. I usually just go there for fruit,veggies and certain meat. Their grains are cheap though. Sprouts currently has brown rice for .77 a lb.

A few weeks ago. Pinto beans for the same price.

I guess I take it for granted food here is cheap.

Must be because we ranked as #49 on the list of states that have people living outside the poverty level.
Mississippi?

New Mexico. What ...did we move up since the last time I read the list ? :)

WinnDixie has buy one get one free deals a lot. So you can stock up on Chicken or chops when they have the sale.
Rousses has a weekly deal on meats if you watch the ads..............We stock up on meats whenever they go on sale and fill the deep freeze up. My wife also shops at Greers, WallyWorld and now Costco which has come to town. Sam's club as well. I sometimes go into Save a Lot and Greers on the way home from work and when I do I check out the prices on Roasts and other meats and stock up if I see them on sale. Usually stopping to get the milk, bread, and essentials on the way home from work.

There are deals out there if you look. My daughter goes to online coupon sites and prints out coupons and gets low prices and even free promotional items all the time.

Yep. Last free promotional items I got were a carton of almond milk and Clorox wipes. My daughter now requests the almond milk for her cereal she liked it so much. :)

I'd like to see the menu listed by meal for the week in which that shopping list is to feed a family of four.

84 meals required.

21 meals required. 4 servings plus snacks and drinks.

And I will. :)

Last edited:
Drinks available
Tea ( hot or cold )
Tang
Pink lemonade
Apple juice
Water

Monday:

Breakfast:

Eggs in bell pepper rings (4 servings)
Bacon
Toast

Lunch:

BLT's (4)
Baked Zucchini Chips

Dinner:

Marinated Pork Kabobs (4)
Sautéed onion and bell pepper
Spanish rice

Last edited:
I'd like to see the menu listed by meal for the week in which that shopping list is to feed a family of four.

84 meals required.

21 meals required. 4 servings plus snacks and drinks.

And I will. :)

Ruh-roh.
84 individual meals = 21 meals-for-four -- so it depends on how you define "meal". :)

If you have the storage space, stocking up when items are on sale can save you a ton!

Strategic Shopping A Month-by-Month Analysis

I'm guilty of that. "Wonder if I can still use this applesauce from the Ford Administration"?

Last edited:
Tuesday:

Breakfast:

Oatmeal
Diced pears to add on

Lunch :

Burritos
Spanish rice

Dinner:

Spaghetti
Salad
Texas toast

Wednesday;

Breakfast:

Cheerios
Sliced strawberries to add on

Lunch:

Tuna Sandwiches
Pork and Beans

Dinner:

Italian grilled chicken (4)
Peas
Chicken and broccoli rice

Thursday:

Breakfast:

Oatmeal
Diced pears

Lunch:

Grilled cheese sandwiches
Milk based tomato soup

Dinner:

Tuna noodle casserole
Broccoli
Fruit salad

If I don't see eggs for breakfast soon I'm not comin'. :eusa_snooty:

Well, 'cept for lunch on Toozday.
And dinner on Wenzday....

Last edited:
This thread is to prove to JoeB that you can feed a family of 4 for 119.00 a week or less.

Did my shopping at Albertsons, Sprouts,Dollar Tree and Family Dollar Store

All on my way home from work ( no special trips)

Oatmeal 13 servings 1.00
Cheerios 9 servings 1.49
Milk (2 gallons) 3.98
Strawberries .97 carton
Blackberries .97 carton
Pears 4 lbs 2.00 (16)
Butter 1.00
Eggs ( 18 ct) 2.49
Bacon ( buy 1 get 2) 3.99
Tina's Burritos 4/1.00
Spanish rice 2/1.50
Broccoli cheddar rice .75
White cheddar rice .75
American cheese 1.00
Bread 3/3.00
Tomato Soup 2/1.00
Chicken Noodle Soup (3) 1.50
Pork n beans 2/1.00
Tuna 4/2.00
Lettuce (3) 2.97
Mayo 1.00
Cheese crackers 4pks 2/2.00
Cucumbers 4/2.00
Radishes 4/2.00
Marinated pork cubes ( buy one get one) 6.29
Red bell pepper 4/1.00
Onion 2/1.00
Canned corn (4) 2.00
Ground turkey 2.77
Spaghetti .75
Tri color pasta .75
Pasta sauce 1.00
Italian dressing 1.00
Ranch dressing 1.00
Cream chicken soup .75
Cheese 2/3.98
Fresh broccoli 2 lbs for 1.98
Chicken thighs (5pk) 2.91
Canned peas 2/1.00
Canned green beans 2/1.00
Steak ( buy one get one ) 5.39
Mac n cheese 2/1.00
Squash 1 1/2 lbs 1.49
Tomatoes 1 1/2 lb 1.49
Frozen spinach 2/1.50
Tea bags 1.00
Country Time pink lemonade 2.48
Tang 2.48
Strawberry/ vanilla sugar wafers 2/1.50
Grapes 1.98 2 lbs
Granola bars 2/3.98 (12 total)
Concentrated apple Juice 2/2.59

Total 98.41
Where the heck do you get a pound of butter for a dollar and a gallon of milk for $1.99?

Albertsons... Blue bonnet stick butter and the store brand milk is on sale this week.

Plus they have a lot of meat priced buy one get one.
I just looked at their weekly ad and neither are on sale.

Friday:

Breakfast:

Cheerios
Sliced Strawberries to add on

Lunch:

Chicken /macaroni casserole
Green beans
Fruit salad

Dinner:

Steak (4)
Corn
Dinner salad

This thread is to prove to JoeB that you can feed a family of 4 for 119.00 a week or less.

Did my shopping at Albertsons, Sprouts,Dollar Tree and Family Dollar Store

All on my way home from work ( no special trips)

Oatmeal 13 servings 1.00
Cheerios 9 servings 1.49
Milk (2 gallons) 3.98
Strawberries .97 carton
Blackberries .97 carton
Pears 4 lbs 2.00 (16)
Butter 1.00
Eggs ( 18 ct) 2.49
Bacon ( buy 1 get 2) 3.99
Tina's Burritos 4/1.00
Spanish rice 2/1.50
Broccoli cheddar rice .75
White cheddar rice .75
American cheese 1.00
Bread 3/3.00
Tomato Soup 2/1.00
Chicken Noodle Soup (3) 1.50
Pork n beans 2/1.00
Tuna 4/2.00
Lettuce (3) 2.97
Mayo 1.00
Cheese crackers 4pks 2/2.00
Cucumbers 4/2.00
Radishes 4/2.00
Marinated pork cubes ( buy one get one) 6.29
Red bell pepper 4/1.00
Onion 2/1.00
Canned corn (4) 2.00
Ground turkey 2.77
Spaghetti .75
Tri color pasta .75
Pasta sauce 1.00
Italian dressing 1.00
Ranch dressing 1.00
Cream chicken soup .75
Cheese 2/3.98
Fresh broccoli 2 lbs for 1.98
Chicken thighs (5pk) 2.91
Canned peas 2/1.00
Canned green beans 2/1.00
Steak ( buy one get one ) 5.39
Mac n cheese 2/1.00
Squash 1 1/2 lbs 1.49
Tomatoes 1 1/2 lb 1.49
Frozen spinach 2/1.50
Tea bags 1.00
Country Time pink lemonade 2.48
Tang 2.48
Strawberry/ vanilla sugar wafers 2/1.50
Grapes 1.98 2 lbs
Granola bars 2/3.98 (12 total)
Concentrated apple Juice 2/2.59

Total 98.41
Where the heck do you get a pound of butter for a dollar and a gallon of milk for $1.99?

Albertsons... Blue bonnet stick butter and the store brand milk is on sale this week.

Plus they have a lot of meat priced buy one get one.
I just looked at their weekly ad and neither are on sale.

Just an aside...

Smiths also has milk two for 4.00 this week

And Dollar Tree has imperial tub butter for a dollar.

Saturday:

Breakfast:

Egg and cheese breakfast sandwiches
Pear slices

Lunch:

Chicken noodle soup
Cheese crackers
Raw veggies and ranch

Dinner:

Pork and squash kabobs (4)
Spinach
Mac n Cheese