Brain dead Medicaid patients on life support

Yes a quandry.
Death panels?
Do their relatives resist letting them expire?

I support death with dignity aka legal suicide for those with no hope.

He's not talking about assisted suicide. He's talking about killing people who are vulnerable, against the wishes of their family.

As I've always said, this is where progressivism takes us. The same people who support abortion support this. They want people THEY view as a burden killed. And they want the state to make the decision. This is why they want to force people into state medical programs. It's all about culling the population, it always has been.

has nothing to do with politics

My son works for a private health nursing staffing agency staffing nurses for Medicaid patients. One of the things he does is staff nurses to watch totally brain dead folks on respirators. His company bills Medicaid $40 an hour for 84 hours each week to sit and watch these people that have no chance whatsoever of ever living a productive life again. His company bills Medicaid $3360.00 a week for this. He has numerous patients they staff for this.
Do the math. He states that with the other administrative work that is involved the total cost is $200,000.00 a year in tax payer $$ to keep these people alive.
He states that many parents and family do not want it but that many people just sit and watch their loved ones with no chance of any productive life. The reason they need the care is that these people can not blink their eyes as they have no brain function for this.
Ethically, he believes this is a waste of money even though his company makes a lot of $$ off of it.
I posted it in this section because he states that almost all of the families that demand this Medicaid program are very religous and will not allow their family members to be taken off of life support.
I saw this when my father died. Full ward of 85+ year old patients billing Medicare $5,000 a day in ICU in south Florida hospitals on respirators with no chance of ever doing anything. Everyone of them brain dead.
This has to change. No other country on earth allows this kind of waste.

so humans are a waste to you.

I don't think he is saying that....but if a family wants to keep a person alive past the point of return, that should be on their dime, shouldn't it?

he is saying that supporting ill patents is a waste.

I'd also like to see the charts of the people gadawg deems no longer productive.

Are they REALLY brain dead, or are they just old, frail, and suffering from varying degrees of age-related illness, such as demential, alzheimers, parkinson's, etc?

I've worked in nursing homes. In 40 beds, we had, as I recollect, 2 who were completely out of it...one was a diabetic in a coma, the other was an illegal alien who had tried to commit suicide by choking himself with a bedsheet, while waiting for deportation to go to trial for the rape and murder of a 13 year old girl. Wait, there was one more, an old man who had stroked and was dying, and in fact died within a couple of months of my arrival.

They all breathed on their own.

So let's define terms...what would be the determining factors of someone who is no longer contributing to society? Someone who has difficulty eating? Who can't remember whether they left the stove on or not? Someone who can't talk? Someone who can't control their bladder?

And, incidentally, I didn't realize Medicaid footed the bill for private residential care.

Really? Interesting that we should be picking up that tab...when the person is past the point of return.

What is the point of us paying out for that, then? Explain.

human dignity, compassion and love, God's wishes

Human dignity? to be hooked up to machines that keep you alive past the point of return? God's wishes? Really? Love? Really?

Save me from such dignity, love, or some obscure god's wishes........paid for with our taxes.

yeah but he didn't really define "brain dead", and quantified it later with something like they were never going to be useful to society again..

You'll excuse me if I'm skeptical. What gadawg sees as *useful* and what I see as useful are likely to be widely divergent.

I see a use for people who are vulnerable and incapable of caring for themselves. They teach other people things just by their existence.

yeah but he didn't really define "brain dead", and quantified it later with something like they were never going to be useful to society again..

You'll excuse me if I'm skeptical. What gadawg sees as *useful* and what I see as useful are likely to be widely divergent.

I see a use for people who are vulnerable and incapable of caring for themselves. They teach other people things just by their existence.
:eek:

For once I agree with you. Gawdawg is pretty damn brain dead. There is no way there are wards of brain dead people being kept alive.

Maybe the family need closure before they can pull the plug.

So it is up to the doctor to tell the family what is meant by "brain dead" and the possiblity of their loved one coming back to them.

So I just can't say"go ahead and pull it--he/she is brain dead!!" there are some other issues at play here that has to be resolved.

My son works for a private health nursing staffing agency staffing nurses for Medicaid patients. One of the things he does is staff nurses to watch totally brain dead folks on respirators. His company bills Medicaid $40 an hour for 84 hours each week to sit and watch these people that have no chance whatsoever of ever living a productive life again. His company bills Medicaid $3360.00 a week for this. He has numerous patients they staff for this.
Do the math. He states that with the other administrative work that is involved the total cost is $200,000.00 a year in tax payer $$ to keep these people alive.
He states that many parents and family do not want it but that many people just sit and watch their loved ones with no chance of any productive life. The reason they need the care is that these people can not blink their eyes as they have no brain function for this.
Ethically, he believes this is a waste of money even though his company makes a lot of $$ off of it.
I posted it in this section because he states that almost all of the families that demand this Medicaid program are very religous and will not allow their family members to be taken off of life support.
I saw this when my father died. Full ward of 85+ year old patients billing Medicare $5,000 a day in ICU in south Florida hospitals on respirators with no chance of ever doing anything. Everyone of them brain dead.This has to change. No other country on earth allows this kind of waste.

I'm pretty sure Gadawg said "brain dead"....more than once.

I'd also like to see the charts of the people gadawg deems no longer productive.

Are they REALLY brain dead, or are they just old, frail, and suffering from varying degrees of age-related illness, such as demential, alzheimers, parkinson's, etc?

I've worked in nursing homes. In 40 beds, we had, as I recollect, 2 who were completely out of it...one was a diabetic in a coma, the other was an illegal alien who had tried to commit suicide by choking himself with a bedsheet, while waiting for deportation to go to trial for the rape and murder of a 13 year old girl. Wait, there was one more, an old man who had stroked and was dying, and in fact died within a couple of months of my arrival.

They all breathed on their own.

So let's define terms...what would be the determining factors of someone who is no longer contributing to society? Someone who has difficulty eating? Who can't remember whether they left the stove on or not? Someone who can't talk? Someone who can't control their bladder?

And, incidentally, I didn't realize Medicaid footed the bill for private residential care.
In Florida, at least, both Medicaid and Medicare pay for hospice.

Yes a quandry.
Death panels?
Do their relatives resist letting them expire?

I support death with dignity aka legal suicide for those with no hope.

He's not talking about assisted suicide. He's talking about killing people who are vulnerable, against the wishes of their family.

As I've always said, this is where progressivism takes us. The same people who support abortion support this. They want people THEY view as a burden killed. And they want the state to make the decision. This is why they want to force people into state medical programs. It's all about culling the population, it always has been.

How does one kill someone when they would die on their own if left to?
You are so full of shit it is disgusting. These people are already dead and machines are keeping them alive.
Nothing to do with anything other than compassion and common sense. No rational adult keeps a family member alive on machines. They do it because THEY are selfish.
Responsible Americans have it in writing to never allow this. Only a lazy citizen fails to have a DNR order on file and ready if they are brain dead and would have to live off of a machine.

Medicare and Medicaid are the BIGGEST drivers of the deficit.
Problem is most Americans are either too ignorant to know this or too stupid to admit it.
Georgia has a Medicaid deficit this year of 350 million and it is projected to be 600 million in 2 years.
Many states have billions in Medicaid deficits.
And koshergirl calls us the progressives! She is as big government as they come on this issue.
Koshergirl is a closet liberal.

I don't believe you. Hospitals would send patients to hospice, not keep wards full of brain dead people.

:cuckoo:

They make wards of brain dead people ravi...... they make money off of them.

Really? Interesting that we should be picking up that tab...when the person is past the point of return.

Human dignity? to be hooked up to machines that keep you alive past the point of return? God's wishes? Really? Love? Really?

Save me from such dignity, love, or some obscure god's wishes........paid for with our taxes.

If that is ur wishes I hope them to be caried out, if these people don't want what you want then it is their choice.

If God would have wished people to be kept alive on ventilators, he would have stuck one in the Ark.

who needed a ventillator on the Ark? My God is not the murderous killing God you people interact with

I am all for pulling the plugs on people like this.

And for the bible people... if god wants them to live... they will live without life support. If not... god wants them dead.

Medicare and Medicaid are the BIGGEST drivers of the deficit.
Problem is most Americans are either too ignorant to know this or too stupid to admit it.
Georgia has a Medicaid deficit this year of 350 million and it is projected to be 600 million in 2 years.
Many states have billions in Medicaid deficits.
And koshergirl calls us the progressives! She is as big government as they come on this issue.
Koshergirl is a closet liberal.

just because u value money over human life does not make koshergirl a closet liberal.

Forum List

Back