Bradley Manning: 1000 Days and No Trial?

For the crime of reporting war crimes?

For releasing classified military documents.
Classified military documents hiding war crimes deserve to see the light of day in any free society:

"The logs also added an additional 15,000 civilian deaths to the known body count, totalling over 150,000 deaths, of which roughly 80% were civilian."

Bradley Manning Faces 1000th Day in Prison » Counterpunch: Tells the Facts, Names the Names

You bleeding hearts disgust me.

Unless the delay in getting his case to trial is a strategy by the defense, then the guy does deserve to have his case tried.

Has the defense made a motion to dismiss the prosecution for violating his right to a speedy trial yet?

Wait. His defense lawyers have asked for a hearing on their claim that he has been denied his constitutional right to a speedy trial.

I still can't post U R L's but -- http ... dissenter.firedoglake.com/2013/01/16/bradley-mannings-speedy-trial-motion-hearing-day-1-2/

Wait. His defense lawyers have asked for a hearing on their claim that he has been denied his constitutional right to a speedy trial.

I still can't post U R L's but -- http ... dissenter.firedoglake.com/2013/01/16/bradley-mannings-speedy-trial-motion-hearing-day-1-2/

Manning IS in the military system, not the civilian legal system, however.

That may be making a difference in this case.

Manning IS in the military system, not the civilian legal system, however.

That may be making a difference in this case.

Maybe. I don't know much about the procedures followed by the military for assuring the Constitutional rights of the accused to things like a fair trial or a speedy trial.

For releasing classified military documents.
Classified military documents hiding war crimes deserve to see the light of day in any free society:

"The logs also added an additional 15,000 civilian deaths to the known body count, totalling over 150,000 deaths, of which roughly 80% were civilian."

Bradley Manning Faces 1000th Day in Prison » Counterpunch: Tells the Facts, Names the Names

As a Conservative and Libertarian I say 1,000 days is too long and he should be set free.

If they woukd just try the fella I would be equally for execution if found guilty or a medal of honor if he comes out looking that great.

3+ years is too long. Lets not exoand the government's power of detainment too much.

Unless the delay in getting his case to trial is a strategy by the defense, then the guy does deserve to have his case tried.

Has the defense made a motion to dismiss the prosecution for violating his right to a speedy trial yet?

No such thing under the Uniformed Code of Military Justice - ask Nadal Hasan

No such thing under the Uniformed Code of Military Justice - ask Nadal Hasan

Google leads to the UCMJ and Article 10.

There not only is a right to a speedy trial, but it is pretty "stringent."

As a Conservative and Libertarian I say 1,000 days is too long and he should be set free.

If they woukd just try the fella I would be equally for execution if found guilty or a medal of honor if he comes out looking that great.

3+ years is too long. Lets not exoand the government's power of detainment too much.

I agree with you. Get it done. The military is being weird. True, they screwed up royally.

But I don't think it's such a huge problem even so: cybersabotage is a common problem and we're pretty forgiving about it. Just try the guy, sentence him to life or whatever, and call it a day.

I don't think there was a big problem with the Wikileaks, but it isn't a good precedent; he knew he was doing major espionage. His life is forfeit. I hate saying that, but it's true. I still want a trial. Is that asking too much, even for the military?

That’s a neat trick.

Being ‘conservative’ or ‘libertarian,’ however, has nothing to do with it, and neither have a monopoly on advocacy of due process.

Indeed, as we’ve seen in this and other threads on the topic, conservatives for the most part presume Manning to be guilty and have no issue with his long detention.

Otherwise, the government is affording Manning due process, however slow.

The "slow" process is a deliberate violation of Manning's right to a speedy trial, and it's being done to send a clear message to anyone else thinking about revealing US war crimes.

From November, 2011:

"More than 50 members of the European parliament have signed an open letter to the US government raising concerns about the treatment of Bradley Manning, the US soldier in military detention for allegedly leaking classified US documents to the whistleblowing site WikiLeaks.

"The call on the US government comes before a pre-trial hearing – Manning's first appearance in court – which begins on 16 December.

"The MEPs said internal investigations into Manning's treatment in custody, which included solitary confinement for up to 23 hours a day, inspections by officers every five minutes from 5am onwards and removal of his clothes, had been marred by "clear conflicts of interest".

"They call for US authorities to grant Juan Méndez, the UN special rapporteur on torture, access to Manning.

"Mendez has made repeated requests for access to the military base where Manning is held, all of which have been refused by US authorities."

Bradley Manning treatment in custody concerns MEPs | World news | The Guardian

I agree with you. Get it done. The military is being weird. True, they screwed up royally.

But I don't think it's such a huge problem even so: cybersabotage is a common problem and we're pretty forgiving about it. Just try the guy, sentence him to life or whatever, and call it a day.

I don't think there was a big problem with the Wikileaks, but it isn't a good precedent; he knew he was doing major espionage. His life is forfeit. I hate saying that, but it's true. I still want a trial. Is that asking too much, even for the military?

ditto.

I don't see why he has not had a trial and it speaks volumes about our government and its respect of peoples rights. This does not surprise me though. Rights recently have become a concept of the past to be replaced by convenience.

It would be nice to see the civilian courts come to bear on this topic but I have little faith in that occurring. It is generally given that military give up their 'unalienable' rights when they join, no matter how asinine such an idea might be.

"This Saturday, February 23rd, will mark the 1,000th day in prison without trial for PFC Bradley Manning, accused of releasing classified military documents to Wikileaks.

"Among the documents was the Collateral Murder video, which shows the 2007 murder of over a dozen people in Baghdad by a U.S. Apache helicopter. The murdered included civilians and two Reuter’s employees, photojournalist Namir Noor-Eldeen and his driver Saeed Chmagh.

"Manning was also alleged to have released the Iraq War Logs, comprised of nearly 400,000 military logs recorded from 2004 to 2009.

"The files revealed thousands of reports of prisoner torture and abuse filed against coalition forces in Iraq, including reports of people being hung from the ceiling on hooks, whipped with cables, sexually assaulted, urinated on, and having holes bored into their legs with electric drills.

"The logs also added an additional 15,000 civilian deaths to the known body count, totalling over 150,000 deaths, of which roughly 80% were civilian.

"Furthermore, the leaks detailed allegations of child abuse and child trafficking by the U.S. defense contracting company in Afghanistan, DynCorp, a company which is estimated to make about $2 billion per year in revenue from the U.S."

What message is the Pentagon sending to future truth tellers by denying Manning his day in court? The same message Thucydides sent: "Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must."

maybe we can just J-Dam his ass from a Drone?

Maybe DynCorp has a few suggestions for Bradley's future?

"Furthermore, the leaks detailed allegations of child abuse and child trafficking by the U.S. defense contracting company in Afghanistan, DynCorp, a company which is estimated to make about $2 billion per year in revenue from the U.S."

Your solution seems to fit Dick the Draft Dodger better.

http://www.counterpunch.org/2013/02/19/bradley-manning-faces-1000th-day-in-prison/

Last edited:
Cases where the defendant has classified knowledge are special.

"A military judge has pushed back the start of the trial for an Army private charged with leaking classified documents to the WikiLeaks website to June 3.

Army Col. Denise Lind set the new trial date during a pretrial hearing at Fort Meade on Wednesday for Pfc. Bradley Manning. The trial had been set to begin March 6.

Lind said extra time was needed to deal with classified information."

Read more: Military judge delays Army GI's trial in WikiLeaks case to June 3 | Fox News

I suspect they are pushing the trial back to allow information of a classified nature to become less sensitive...perhaps after troops are withdrawn from Afghanistan.

Last edited:
"The defense says military prosecutors are drawing comparisons between Manning's alleged leak of classified documents and Civil War-era spying cases. Defense attorneys say Manning's alleged offenses are more akin to providing government documents to a newspaper.

Military judge delays Army GI's trial in WikiLeaks case to June 3 | Fox News

Why do you think it's necessary for US forces to leave Afghanistan before Manning gets his day in court?

Forum List

Back