Boy kicked out of school because he has gene for cystic fibrosis

CaféAuLait

This Space for Rent
Oct 29, 2008
Pacific Northwest

A California boy has been ordered to transfer to another middle school because he carries the gene for cystic fibrosis, even though he doesn't actually have the incurable, life-threatening and non-infectious disease. His parents have gone to court to fight the move.

Their son, 11-year-old Colman Chadam, was told last week that he’d have to transfer from Jordan Middle School in Palo Alto, Calif., to a school three miles away because he posed a risk to another student at school who does have the disease, according to TODAY.

“I was sad but at the same time I was mad because I understood that I hadn’t done anything wrong,” Colman told TODAY. He added: “It feels like I’m being bullied in a way that is not right.”

Boy kicked out of school because he has gene for cystic fibrosis - TODAY Health

If he does not pose a threat to the other student why should he be moved? :confused:

CaféAuLait;6177343 said:

A California boy has been ordered to transfer to another middle school because he carries the gene for cystic fibrosis, even though he doesn't actually have the incurable, life-threatening and non-infectious disease. His parents have gone to court to fight the move.

Their son, 11-year-old Colman Chadam, was told last week that he’d have to transfer from Jordan Middle School in Palo Alto, Calif., to a school three miles away because he posed a risk to another student at school who does have the disease, according to TODAY.

“I was sad but at the same time I was mad because I understood that I hadn’t done anything wrong,” Colman told TODAY. He added: “It feels like I’m being bullied in a way that is not right.”

If he does not pose a threat to the other student why should he be moved? :confused:

As far as I understand it is not communicable so the school as no right to kick him out. Did they even make an attempt to explain their reasoning? Further how the hell does the school know what genes he has?

From the link

"While it is not contagious, doctors say people with cystic fibrosis can pose a danger to each other through bacterial cross-contamination if they are in close contact."

The school clearly overreacted as should have consulted a doctor before assuming that someone who carries the gene will pose the same risk as someone who has the condition.

CaféAuLait;6177343 said:

As far as I understand it is not communicable so the school as no right to kick him out. Did they even make an attempt to explain their reasoning? Further how the hell does the school know what genes he has?

According to the article his mother shared such information on the school health sheet. Their reasoning is two CF patients can't be togther because one will make the other sicker, simply put. However the boy who was kicked out of school only carries the gene, he is not sick and does not have CF.

Since he has CF that means BOTH of his parents carry the gene too. Neither of them are sick either.

Ok read the report. Seems if 2 people with the "disease" are in close proximity they can cross contaminate themselves with what ever infections are in the other person.

And that a Medical center recommended the move.

However.... the child in question does NOT have the disease, he simply carries the gene for it. He does not get the lung and stomach infections and is no risk to anyone, including other people that actually have the disease.

Simple facts that destroy the forced move of the child.

Sounds to me like the school in fact over reacted.

My advise is never put on a Government form any information that is not absolutely required. Big Brother is amazingly stupid.

I have a relative with CF. No one ever did gene scans on him or his classmates. I'm glad of that. He's in his 50s now and doing just fine.

What does the school do if there's a kid with hay fever? Or if there's a flu outbreak in town? If the CF kid is that fragile, should he be in school with hundreds of other kids that could be carrying any number of communicable diseases?

I'm sure the other kid's parents will win their case.

To me, the kid who already has CF should be the one leaves because them having it is what makes them contagious to anyone who carries a gene for it.

God bless you and both kids always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

From the link

"While it is not contagious, doctors say people with cystic fibrosis can pose a danger to each other through bacterial cross-contamination if they are in close contact."

The school clearly overreacted as should have consulted a doctor before assuming that someone who carries the gene will pose the same risk as someone who has the condition.

He doesn't have CF he only has the genetic marker.

There is a difference.

Rule 1: Share as little personal information with the government as humanly possible...what they don't know won't hurt you.

Forum List

Back