Boxing legend Earnie Shavers who fought Muhammad Ali passes away aged 78...he was a Hard puncher who knocked out Larry Holmes

basquebromance

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2015
This man held a 76% overall knockout ratio, and was feared by many in the ring, including Ali, who was once quoted, “Earnie hit me so hard, it shook my kinfolk in Africa,”

RIP. I always had a lot of respect for him. Boxing was mostly rigged by bookies, but the boxers themselves were pretty decent people.

He was part of the 70s age of top-class heavyweights that today's fighters would not be able to hang with. Being a boxer must be a tough life just to earn a living. Shaver's reached that top level and made a living among the toughest heavyweights in history.

Ernie Shavers was maybe the heaviest handed guy since Sonny Liston. George Foreman probably hit just as hard but it was arm power and power generated with his body; Shavers just had slabs of concrete for fists. Just effing sledgehammers in those hands. How Ali, who probably already had early CTE, stood up to Shavers' beating, I'll never know.

RIP Ernie.

Forum List

Back