Bodycam shows white cop fatally shooting fleeing black dude

And that's why I keep raising the question -- if this kid is thought to be so dangerous, and armed, what the hell is McMillin doing accosting him alone?

I don't know. Did they have a report that he was armed? I still don't know if it was a celphone or gun; but the cop was pretty adamant that it was a gun and he called it a gun in the video on several occasions while knowing that they were being filmed. And no other officer refuted that. But why was he alone when it seemed the whole damn police department was there in about two to three minutes? That's a fair question. I'm not saying he broke protocol. But it seems shortsighted.

Right, that's my point. Actually it was the OP's point but he never came back to defend it.

Cops confront dangerous people alone all the time. Its why the job is hard. But most times it doesn't go bad.

If they sent multiple officers to every dangerous call...they'd never catch up on calls.

And that's why I keep raising the question -- if this kid is thought to be so dangerous, and armed, what the hell is McMillin doing accosting him alone?

I don't know. Did they have a report that he was armed? I still don't know if it was a celphone or gun; but the cop was pretty adamant that it was a gun and he called it a gun in the video on several occasions while knowing that they were being filmed. And no other officer refuted that. But why was he alone when it seemed the whole damn police department was there in about two to three minutes? That's a fair question. I'm not saying he broke protocol. But it seems shortsighted.

Right, that's my point. Actually it was the OP's point but he never came back to defend it.

Cops confront dangerous people alone all the time. Its why the job is hard. But most times it doesn't go bad.

If they sent multiple officers to every dangerous call...they'd never catch up on calls.

Sometimes the perp doesnt wait around for back up to show.
Damn inconsiderate of him.

And as you yourself posted above -- how come, if this is a stop to corral such a dangerous gun-toting thug -- this officer takes him on alone? Does that strike you as a little odd? Well, me too. You can see and hear after the shooting, the cop's standing there trying to control a crowd and hold off a perp he doesn't yet know is disabled (could be playing possum) -- with an empty gun, desperately calling for backup to "step it up". If the perp is still alive and armed, or if someone else is -- he's a sitting duck. And he knows it.

The officer is a control freak like so many are and cares more about control than their life.

He...again...went for a gun vs a cop.

Sad. But cop was justified.

Yep,had he just kept running the cop wouldnt likely have shot him.
But even if he did,as long as the cop knew he had a weapon it would be justified.
They have every right to shoot to stop an armed assailant,in the back or otherwise.
I don't know about that one...so if a tea party militia man is armed, and refuses the direct orders of a cop...no matter what, they should be shot in the back?

So do you think all of those thugs at the Bundy Ranch should have been eliminated?

But even if he did,as long as the cop knew he had a weapon it would be justified.
They have every right to shoot to stop an armed assailant,in the back or otherwise.
I don't know about that one...so if a tea party militia man is armed, and refuses the direct orders of a cop...no matter what, they should be shot in the back?

So do you think all of those thugs at the Bundy Ranch should have been eliminated?

Maybe. But that was a different dynamic. A sniper wouldve had to take them out due to distance. And a sniper is under command of a swat commander. A group vs group conflict with leaders giving order. Not a war...but tactically more similar to it and far different than a lone cop facing a single bad guy up close with a pistol.

Should the swat snipers have engaged those militia men pointing rifles at federal agents? Maybe. It would've sparked a massive gunfight and lots of death...so the commander didnt order it.

Maybe. But that was a different dynamic. A sniper wouldve had to take them out due to distance. And a sniper is under command of a swat commander. A group vs group conflict with leaders giving order. Not a war...but tactically more similar to it and far different than a lone cop facing a single bad guy up close with a pistol.

Should the swat snipers have engaged those militia men pointing rifles at federal agents? Maybe. It would've sparked a massive gunfight and lots of death...so the commander didnt order it.
Good answer.

And as you yourself posted above -- how come, if this is a stop to corral such a dangerous gun-toting thug -- this officer takes him on alone? Does that strike you as a little odd? Well, me too. You can see and hear after the shooting, the cop's standing there trying to control a crowd and hold off a perp he doesn't yet know is disabled (could be playing possum) -- with an empty gun, desperately calling for backup to "step it up". If the perp is still alive and armed, or if someone else is -- he's a sitting duck. And he knows it.

The officer is a control freak like so many are and cares more about control than their life.
You're serious? Really? The cop should let the perp first?

They think that way. Like cops are obligated to let the thug get the first shot off.

Maybe cops should be restricted by Old English dueling rules. They must stand and face the first shot before they can shoot back hahaha

The perp was dead. :eusa_hand:

Next time, read what I quoted.

They think that way. Like cops are obligated to let the thug get the first shot off.

Maybe cops should be restricted by Old English dueling rules. They must stand and face the first shot before they can shoot back hahaha

I don't have any problem with this shooting, except like Pogo said that he could have waited for back-up before trying to handcuff him.

I don't have any problem with this shooting, except like Pogo said that he could have waited for back-up before trying to handcuff him.

In theory. But the reality is...cops face dangerous people all the time. Most departments dont have the manpower to send backup to every single risky call.

Of course...once shots are fired...that signals everyone to come.

If you mean not dying then yeah he's into control. I see some dude picking up a pistol I'm sure as hell not going to wait and see if he tries to shoot me.

If he believes the kid is picking up a gun -- and it's entirely reasonable to presume he is -- why doesn't he shoot at the gun or the kid's hand to keep it out of his control?

Because this isn't Hollywood. And apparently you have absolutely no experience with a handgun, shooting at a suspect while running. I'm honestly surprised he hit the guy at all.

When they miss, it doesn't make the news.

In theory. But the reality is...cops face dangerous people all the time. Most departments dont have the manpower to send backup to every single risky call.

Of course...once shots are fired...that signals everyone to come.

Yet they will send 3 squad cars for someone jaywalking.

If you mean not dying then yeah he's into control. I see some dude picking up a pistol I'm sure as hell not going to wait and see if he tries to shoot me.

Pogo was talking about how the officer kept screaming "Get back" after the shooting, and I was referring to that.

Forum List

Back