Bob Knight dead

He was the first coach to say Michael Jordan is the best player in the world
I'm surprised he made it to 83 the way he used to get worked up. He was a chair throwing character and a hard-core coach.

He was a great man, very much in the way Donald Trump is a great man. He was brilliiant, highly successful, pulled no punches, he told it like it is, and he was extraordinarily generous in quiet unheralded ways.

He was a great man, very much in the way Donald Trump is a great man. He was brilliiant, highly successful, pulled no punches, he told it like it is, and he was extraordinarily generous in quiet unheralded ways.
Knight was an asshole. So is Trump.

I have been an IU fan my whole life.
I live in Bloomington, IN.
Where Coach Knight has lived most of his life.
"It is not what your friends say about you that defines you the most, it is what your adversaries say about you"
And what Knight's adversaries say about him is nothing short of a legendary hero.
Division 1 basketball has been forever changed by Bobby Knight. Pick any legendary NCAA coach you can think of - and that coach was HEAVILY influenced by Knight. That coach altered his game, built his defense based on principles Coach Knight used. - All of them.
At this point in history, Coach Knight is the greatest college basketball coach that ever lived. All of his titles, all of the wins - all came WITHOUT CHEATING. No other coach can say that.
He won all of his wins with teams that had less raw talent than other teams. The winningest basketball coach in history Mike Krzyzewski, did that with some of the most talented players that ever played the game. Bobby Knight did not have those players. He beat Krzyzewski numerous times - with far less talent!
This is what he said today - “We lost one of the greatest coaches in the history of basketball today,” Krzyzewski said, via The Athletic’s Brendan Marks. “Clearly, he was one of a kind. Coach Knight recruited me, mentored me, and had a profound impact on my career and in my life. - Mike Krzyzewski

He got more out of "less". His players played all parts of a game well. He made his players into better citizens too. He cared about them. But he recruited only decent character players as much as possible.

To paraphrase my favorite Bobby Knight line:
I have the greatest motivator......ARSE on Bench. Bench sends signal to Brain, play better.

I am extremely fortunate to have been an IU fan during the Knight years.
Sure we loved the wins, we loved the titles... but what we loved the most - HE NEVER CHEATED.
He won the RIGHT way. He won and won and won and won with teams other coaches would have given up on. Other coaches would have left Indiana for a team that is willing to "do a little under the table gifting" to get better recruits.
Not Bobby Knight. Never cheated. Not once.

No matter what people thought of his personality, Bob Knight knew the game of basketball as well as any coach ever. He also coached the last undefeated college team (1975-76). Maybe not universally loved, but definitely universally respected.

Just look at Texas Tech.
Year before he came they were 9 - 19
Same players the year he took over - 23 - 8.
If he would have been younger when he took over, Texas Tech would now be a basketball powerhouse like Indiana once was.

Great coach. His rivalry with Keady at Purdue was awesome.

He was the first coach to say Michael Jordan is the best player in the world
We all loved Bob Knight. In a way I am kind of like him, I get very hot tempered and explosive sometimes... we all do I think :)

Forum List

Back