Blizzard

Andrew36

Nov 28, 2022
It's a blizzard out there, it's really cold..
my favorite weather and I'm feeling amped up, energetic and chomping at the bit to put in a record long walk or a run...
Or go target shooting or hunting...
And I'm in quarantine until tomorrow.
:p

my favorite weather and I'm feeling amped up, energetic and chomping at the bit to put in a record long walk or a run...

Is this your first blizzard? ... because it's not cold right now ... wait until the cyclone passes and air flow straight from the Arctic Ocean fuckin'Canada invades ... THAT'S cold ...

My Border Patrol friend (former neighbor) says they got hammered up in MT. Not so much the amount of snow but the wind and cold temps.

Here in Western Pennsylvania, we are having our usual crappy weather, but no snow to speak of.

We actually seem to be benefiting from "global warming," based on the life experience of my generation. When I got my driver's license in 1965, it was normal for the streets to be covered in snow from mid-December until mid-March. Oh, the snowplows had done their job, but there was always a coating of ice and snow during that period, which forced "us" to learn how to drive a RWD car with no positraction on icy pavement.

Now, our snowfall comes in fits and starts. It does snow (not yet this year), but usually it has melted within four or five days, then we wait for the next snowfall. Those of us who like snow sports like skiing and snowmobiling have to go north to Western NY or Ontario, or to the "mountains" east of us known as the Laurel Highlands. But parks in the Pittsburgh area that have little ski slopes have only 8-10 days of credible skiing in a Winter season. Outdoor ice skating venues have to have chillers because the cold is simply not that reliable any more.

The positive side is that it's possible to continue to do outdoor stuff through the Winter, as long as we take precautions with what we are wearing. At 73 y.o., I find that I can be perfectly comfortable biking, hiking, or motorcycling, except that I need extra help to keep my hands from freezing. Electrified gloves and whatnot. Even the best insulation in the world can't protect you for long when you hands aren't moving.

I wouldn't mind a blizzard about now. I don't have to go into the office anymore.

No snow in the Midwest, but I remember two huge snows from last year, the first one was January 31, when we got almost 12" of snow, and then about two or three weeks later, we got around 8", which was less than the foot that was forecast. We don't get normal snows of my childhood, we now may have warm weather for a week, and then get a huge snowstorm, and then after a few days, it could get warm again. I am old enough to remember the winters of the late 70's, and they were really bad and lasted all season, and I rode a snowmobile every winter in the early 80's, all thru the winter. It seemed to have changed to these warmer winters in the mid-80's.

nope , if fact we're often a** deep by Dec Muhammed

~S~
I miss snow, dammit. I built an electric snow bike last year so I could go play riding it around in the snow at night without waking up all the neighbors and having them bitch at me because of the noise my snowmobile makes

It's big deal because it's fun.

Oh I know ... a mile away gets snow a few times a year ... 20 miles will put me ten feet in mid winter ... 40 miles will put me in ten feet in summer ...

Just it rarely snows here in my yard ... maybe jack frost a few times a year ... or not ... depends on the winter ...

Just got 6 inches in central, Mn.
The shores of Lake Superior north of Duluth got hammered with 30 inches.
Bitter cold coming tomorrow with single digits highs.

It's winter baby...

Forum List

Back