Black-owned school-lunch business moving to Philly area to create ‘culturally relevant’ meals for kids

How many of these meals meet Michelle Obama’s nutritional requirements for school lunches?
that is also, a dumbass policy--good on paper but in REALITY =waste tax payer $$$$$.....I've got a relative that works for school food service--they say the kids just throw away the fruits and veggies

Promising to cook “culturally relevant” meals with Black and brown kids in mind, a Black-owned school-food management company based in Harlem will be creating a hub in the Philadelphia region to serve local schools.

Red Rabbit has announced it has found a South Jersey location and will likely set up shop by summer, with the hopes of providing school meals by the fall. Company officials declined to name the spot.

Company CEO and founder Rhys Powell said he expects to employ “a few hundred regional people” at Red Rabbit, given its name by the child of a company employee.

In business for 16 years, Red Rabbit is the largest Black-owned K-12 school-food management company in the country. It has served more than 5.5 million meals per year to urban schools throughout the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic region, according to company figures.

.... Dishes include Puerto Rican pollo guisado, West African suya chicken, Nigerian jollof rice, and Indian chana masala.
Black-owned school-meals business expanding here, stressing cultural relevance of food (inquirer.com)

That is awesome!
I've never attended school in Philadelphia so I have no clue what is on any of their menus but I'm skeptical of Euro-centric label. I mean schools have been known to kick out some horrendous food so, potato famine European? Soviet breadline?
I would think that the kids in the suburbs would enjoy a lot of those dishes as well. Good food is good food. Better than that crap Michelle Obama was trying to push on kids.

that is also, a dumbass policy--good on paper but in REALITY =waste tax payer $$$$$.....I've got a relative that works for school food service--they say the kids just throw away the fruits and veggies

I know. I just assumed that a school lunch project directed at African-descendant students would obviously follow the policy goals of the first African-descendant White House primary occupant.

Promising to cook “culturally relevant” meals with Black and brown kids in mind, a Black-owned school-food management company based in Harlem will be creating a hub in the Philadelphia region to serve local schools.

Red Rabbit has announced it has found a South Jersey location and will likely set up shop by summer, with the hopes of providing school meals by the fall. Company officials declined to name the spot.

Company CEO and founder Rhys Powell said he expects to employ “a few hundred regional people” at Red Rabbit, given its name by the child of a company employee.

In business for 16 years, Red Rabbit is the largest Black-owned K-12 school-food management company in the country. It has served more than 5.5 million meals per year to urban schools throughout the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic region, according to company figures.

.... Dishes include Puerto Rican pollo guisado, West African suya chicken, Nigerian jollof rice, and Indian chana masala.
Black-owned school-meals business expanding here, stressing cultural relevance of food (inquirer.com)

That is awesome!
I've never attended school in Philadelphia so I have no clue what is on any of their menus but I'm skeptical of Euro-centric label. I mean schools have been known to kick out some horrendous food so, potato famine European? Soviet breadline?
I would think that the kids in the suburbs would enjoy a lot of those dishes as well. Good food is good food. Better than that crap Michelle Obama was trying to push on kids.
I think most of them in the suburbs are probably eating the same foods anyway. I was not happy with the changes by Michelle Obama. I don't know if these people realized that kids were taking lunches to make sure they had something to eat over the weekend or later on. Not all of them of course but some.

I know. I just assumed that a school lunch project directed at African-descendant students would obviously follow the policy goals of the first African-descendant White House primary occupant.
...now LUNCHES are RACIAL!!!!! -the MSM = IDIOCY

How many of these meals meet Michelle Obama’s nutritional requirements for school lunches?
In what century have kids NOT thrown away the fruits and veggies?
Most kids like fruit, though. Are you saying don't bother giving them any? The mothers of the world disagree.

It's great to hear a few school kids are getting fresh cooked, from scratch meals like we got served when I was in school. Red Rabbit is even hiring real lunch ladies to cook their food in the schools with functioning kitchens. This guy is a genius teaming with food banks and Share programs where he makes more connections to surplus foods he can use while increasing his profile with his target audience.

Cooking the food fresh and serving it hot makes it so much better, no matter what it is, than the standard frozen reheated burgers and burritos kids are getting these days. It's a crying shame what they're paying for.

I wish Red Rabbit all the luck in the world!!

Another write up from Forbes a couple years ago. Glad they made it through the pandemic.
When Michelle Obama started her school lunch reforms she didn't count on people who worked in the schools making the lunch and the contractors who delivered the food and produce to be non caring and corrupted. And they are Progs with most minorities in the schools and the contracting services. The truth is never told on the bad side.

In what century have kids NOT thrown away the fruits and veggies?
Most kids like fruit, though. Are you saying don't bother giving them any? The mothers of the world disagree.
hahahahhahahaha
not with MY $$$$
are you kidding???? that food cost tax $$$$ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forum List

Back