Biscuits and Gravy

Larsky

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2016
DuPage County
Had a little debate this morning while preparing the above.

Who saves bacon grease for cooking, and for how long?

I say indefinitely.

My mother always saved it and she used it mostly when she started chowders or fried eggs. Tasted okay to me. I suppose after awhile it might get funky, though? She kept it in the cupboard or in a ceramic pot by the stove, not in the fridge, either.

I keep it until I make the next batch of bacon.
If I run short I'll fry a batch and snack on it,give it to the dogs,save it and make BLTs.
They say it'll keep for around 6 months but if I kept all my bacon grease over that period I'd have to buy another fridge.

I keep it in a short Mason jar on the counter. When I add hot grease, it seals as it cools.

That may add to the half life.

I say indefinitely.

You can't save it indefinitely - it will go rancid.

But if you cook at home a lot, the bacon grease won't last long anyhoo.

I say indefinitely.

I save it for soup broths, roux and pot roast, and I save it until I clean the fridge out usually, which can be few month intervals.

I say indefinitely.

I save it for soup broths, roux and pot roast, and I save it until I clean the fridge out usually, which can be few month intervals.

It get the roux and pot roast, but adding bacon fat to soup doesn't do anything for me. Soups shouldn't be greasy.

I say indefinitely.

It get the roux and pot roast, but adding bacon fat to soup doesn't do anything for me. Soups shouldn't be greasy.
You only use a little to saute the onions and such when you start out. It isn't greasy, just adds some flavor.
Not exactly bacon fat, but when I bake beans, I always use half a pound of salt pork. I've had plenty of beans where the cook used margarine or some such shit, and they taste totally flat. Even though you don't taste the pork or see any grease, it makes a huge difference.

I say indefinitely.

You only use a little to saute the onions and such when you start out. It isn't greasy, just adds some flavor.
Not exactly bacon fat, but when I bake beans, I always use half a pound of salt pork. I've had plenty of beans where the cook used margarine or some such shit, and they taste totally flat. Even though you don't taste the pork or see any grease, it makes a huge difference.

I read once that bacon (and pork fat) is to American cuisine what butter is to French.

I don't use margarine for anything. If something calls for butter, it's best to use real butter.

I say indefinitely.

I read once that bacon (and pork fat) is to American cuisine what butter is to French.

I don't use margarine for anything. If something calls for butter, it's best to use real butter.
The old timers always insisted on that--including my Dad. Then come to find out, margarine was worse for you.
Butter makes everything better.

I keep it in a short Mason jar on the counter. When I add hot grease, it seals as it cools.

That may add to the half life.
Because bacon grease is photosensitive, light can make it go rancid quicker. It will stay fresher in an opaque container or if you store it in a dark cool place.

That's why some people keep it in the fridge. However, fats like butter and bacon grease tend to quickly absorb off flavors from other foods in there if they are not in a hermetically sealed container.

I say indefinitely.

The old timers always insisted on that--including my Dad. Then come to find out, margarine was worse for you.

Indeed, it does. Last night for dinner I made a really simple spaghetti side dish with butter, truffle oil and a bit of parmesan. The butter with the oil worked perfectly. I'm going to add this to my regular repertoire.

I say indefinitely.
So this is an organic chemistry question about the molecular structure of pig fat.

Indeed, it does. Last night for dinner I made a really simple spaghetti side dish with butter, truffle oil and a bit of parmesan. The butter with the oil worked perfectly. I'm going to add this to my regular repertoire.
I've never had truffle, but I've loved pasta with butter and parmesan ever since I was a kid. I mix the butter with good olive oil if I have some. Now olive oil is something that goes rancid fast. I don't use it all that much and usually end up throwing most of it away, unfortunately.

I've never had truffle, but I've loved pasta with butter and parmesan ever since I was a kid. I mix the butter with good olive oil if I have some. Now olive oil is something that goes rancid fast. I don't use it all that much and usually end up throwing most of it away, unfortunately.

Real truffle oil is fabulous! It's somewhat expensive, but you can buy it in small bottles for a special treat - same thing with extra virgin olive oil. I've gotten to the point where I just dress salads with balsamic vinegar and olive oil instead of prepared dressings - so we use up the olive oil while it is still good.

We often make Alfredo sauce. Puts store bought jarred sauce to shame. You're an ingredient or two away!

Cooking is chemistry. Milk Street radio always devolves to the periodic table on their program.

Call Milkstreet.

Forum List

Back