Birds A-Z

Xinjiang Ground-Jay

1612369079003.png

Canadian geese

I don't know how to transfer a picture on my tiny cell phone, so I'm going to just tell a short story about the only time a bird was actually sassy about her preferences.

Years ago, my late husband and I stopped over in Denver one night, and before sunset, I just strolled around the hotel's grounds, when I came face to face with a mama Canadian goose, her brood shuffling around behind. Well! She walked straight up to me, her eyes fixed on my small sack of popped corn half out of my purse, when she grabbed the sack and proceeded to share the fruits of her larceny with her chicks. But that wasn't the end of her exercising her power of mastery over humiliated me. So instead of showing a semblance of gratitude, the feisty mama demanded more in every which way bird body language can express along with honking her demands for more, of which I hadn't any. When she realized that she gathered her young together with her wing tips, and I swear she was sharing her disgust to her babies with unprepared, intolerable humans on her sidewalk who had insufficient treats for her family. I laughed my ungenerous self all the way back to our hotel room. That happened years ago, but that mother's attitude became one of my most endearing memories of the avian community, especially Canadian geese.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back