Bicycle 'airbag' for your head

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
Saw this on 'Outrageous Acts of Science' last night. An airbag for your head. Instead of a helmet that's on all the time, messing up your hair, this one fits in your collar and only deploys when shock and gyroscopic sensors detect a crash like motion. Inflating then it covers the whole head like am otorcycle helmet, but not the face. What a cool idea. :)

H vding Airbag for cyclists

invisble-bicycle-helmet.png

There are similar things for horseback riding (especially jumping). A cord connects from the gas cylinder to the saddle. If the rider falls, the cord is yanked and the airbag instantly deploys.

Sometimes a rider forgets to detach the cord before dismounting, and much hilarity ensues. But here's a video of an airbag deployment saving a rider from serious injury.

Saw this on 'Outrageous Acts of Science' last night. An airbag for your head. Instead of a helmet that's on all the time, messing up your hair, this one fits in your collar and only deploys when shock and gyroscopic sensors detect a crash like motion. Inflating then it covers the whole head like am otorcycle helmet, but not the face. What a cool idea. :)

I am 66 today.

I wonder how I survived, I never had a bike helmet, knee pads, elbow pads or shin guards.

... and a nice fashion statement to boot.

I am 66 today.

I wonder how I survived, I never had a bike helmet, knee pads, elbow pads or shin guards.

Gary-Busey-289x290.jpg

"Wear a helmet? Helmets are for sissies."

I am 66 today.

Me too. I rode a bicycle on some of the rockiest dirt trails and down some of the steepest hills and down some of the busiest boulevards and survived to my current age of 54 without one of those stupid looking pointy helmets.

"Each year about 2 percent of motor vehicle crash deaths are bicyclists. In a majority of bicyclist deaths, the most serious injuries are to the head, highlighting the importance of wearing a bicycle helmet. Helmet use has been estimated to reduce head injury risk by 85 percent."
Bicycle Helmet Statistics

"Each year about 2 percent of motor vehicle crash deaths are bicyclists. In a majority of bicyclist deaths, the most serious injuries are to the head, highlighting the importance of wearing a bicycle helmet. Helmet use has been estimated to reduce head injury risk by 85 percent."
My momma taught me not to ride in the street when cars were coming.

Mostly dumbass "green" adults without the sense to stay off of streets made for motor vehicles.

Natural selection in action, to me.

Forum List

Back