Best Memories - share 'em if you got 'em

BDBoop

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2011
Don't harsh my zen, Jen!
I once went on a McDonald's run with a coworker after midnight on a weekday. This'd be late 80's, early 90's. As we pulled out of McDonald's, 'Footloose' started playing. He stopped, got out of the car, and danced the dance from the movie. I mean seriously, in the middle of the road, car running, door open - he's dancing alongside.

Snorkeling for the very first time and not realizing just how CLEAR the ocean is in certain spots around the globe.

• Banned
Being at my grandma's cabin. Running and swimming all day. Up the hill, down the hill, never got tired, whined about nap time.

Ate like a pig, slept like the dead. I don't know that as an adult, I ever slept as hard as I did up at my grandma's cabin.

Waking up in the middle of the night after a bad dream with my cocker spaniel licking my face.

Man I miss that dog.

Well I guess there's a theme of sorts.

Mine was a kiss in an elevator where I worked at the time. It was quite surprising and sudden didn't lead to anything else. We just couldn't make a connection after that for some reason but it was definately an attraction.

• Banned
This would look familiar to anybody in the Coffee Shop thread - I posted it because I was trying to cheer up a fellow member. But really, it is one of the memories guaranteed to make me smile if not actually laugh a bit.

Two prefaces: 1) we lived in the country, and 2) I never wear a bra.

Okay. Back in the day, if my husband showed up home from work without his ever present smile on his face, I'd flash him. The hardest he ever laughed was when I nipple-planted on the storm door, so it looked like the girls were back in their 20's.

The hardest I ever laughed was when he arrived with a smile, but then stopped in his tracks, slumped, and dropped his head. I was puzzled. He then looked up at me through his lashes and gave me the international "show me your tits!" sign - so I did, but omg. We laughed So Hard.

Graduating from Marine Corps Boot Camp.

Followed by Finishing first in my MOS school. ( Military Job)

My Navy Shrink in 94/95 after the break down said that I should never have been able to finish boot camp as sick as I was, nor have spent almost 16 years in and attained the rank of GySgt.

• Banned

My Navy Shrink in 94/95 after the break down said that I should never have been able to finish boot camp as sick as I was, nor have spent almost 16 years in and attained the rank of GySgt.

That is awesome. Here's my comparable happy memory. Boot camp, 1976. Bout a week from the end, we're doing PT testing. I can never do the run, dodge and jump. I can run and dodge, but my brain says "the jump is 5' across. You're 5' tall. This is not doable."

The drill sgt says "You fail this, you fail basic. You will do it all over again."

Well, hell dude! No need to be harsh. Suddenly, I can leap five feet in a single bound! Twice.

Basic complete. :thup:

That is awesome. Here's my comparable happy memory. Boot camp, 1976. Bout a week from the end, we're doing PT testing. I can never do the run, dodge and jump. I can run and dodge, but my brain says "the jump is 5' across. You're 5' tall. This is not doable."

The drill sgt says "You fail this, you fail basic. You will do it all over again."

Well, hell dude! No need to be harsh. Suddenly, I can leap five feet in a single bound! Twice.

I can not climb ropes well. In Boot camp I was stuck at an obstacle where you climb a rope, crawl up onto a log beam run across logs climb a ladder and then come down a rope.

My CO ( commanding officer) suddenly showed up. I had failed the rope climb about 5 times by that point. 2 other recruits were struggling on their first attempt.

He shouted at them he would fail them if they did not climb the rope. Suddenly I scrambled up the rope and over the log. LOL.

But it doesn't end there. At the top you are about3 stories up, I am terrified of heights. You have to reach out and grab the rope then swing out and climb down. I couldn't get up the nerve to reach out for the rope. The CO was screaming at me as were a couple Drill Instructors. The CO finally reached out and demonstrated how it was safe to swing out. I still couldn't do it. Then he said disgusted like. " Fine go down the ladder and quit"

I was embarrassed by his disdain and so I reached out took the rope and swung out. Of course as tired as my arms were the climb down was no fun.

I can not climb ropes well. In Boot camp I was stuck at an obstacle where you climb a rope, crawl up onto a log beam run across logs climb a ladder and then come down a rope.

My CO ( commanding officer) suddenly showed up. I had failed the rope climb about 5 times by that point. 2 other recruits were struggling on their first attempt.

He shouted at them he would fail them if they did not climb the rope. Suddenly I scrambled up the rope and over the log. LOL.

But it doesn't end there. At the top you are about3 stories up, I am terrified of heights. You have to reach out and grab the rope then swing out and climb down. I couldn't get up the nerve to reach out for the rope. The CO was screaming at me as were a couple Drill Instructors. The CO finally reached out and demonstrated how it was safe to swing out. I still couldn't do it. Then he said disgusted like. " Fine go down the ladder and quit"

I was embarrassed by his disdain and so I reached out took the rope and swung out. Of course as tired as my arms were the climb down was no fun.

I was like a monkey. I would climb anything.

I was like a monkey. I would climb anything.

Share a memory, Spock. :lol:

Most recent awe inspiring thing I will never forget.....giving a stick bug a drink of water from my finger. The feeing of it's mandible thingies....sucking up the droplet. Awed.

All my wonderful memories I never want to forget is about animals.

Belle, our pointer, was covers-trained. First one in the bed. Whichever side she was on, one of us would hold up the covers for her. She'd walk down to knee level, do a 180°, and come back up to pillow level. Then she'd lay down and gather the expected loves and cuddles. Then when we all fell asleep, she'd plant her feet on me and try to shove me out of bed.

Well, it was a good memory up until the end there.

Silver Gray Doberman used to snarl and bark and foam at the mouth as she chewed the chain link fence. Trained guard dog. Neighbors had about 10 of them and they rented them out to junk yards, etc. Pure breds. Trained in German language.

One day, I hear yelping, the woman runs out of the house screaming the silver dog is giving birth, one is stuck (breach) and both will die. HELP. So I run to their gate and they let me in. All the dogs are loose, but they run WITH me to her house, where I find the silver dog, writhing on the floor, panting, writhing, panting. I stop and say quietly "can I help you?" and she lays there..just panting. So I touch her gently, and she does not chew me up. I feel her contractions. I ask for vaseline or olive oil...which I am promptly given by the woman. I grease my hand, show it to the dog, then wait for next contraction. It comes, and I insert my hand carefully, and pull. Plop. It is not breathing. Sack still over it's head. I yell for a towel, woman grabs kitchen towel, I wipe sack off puppy face. I gently tap it. It does not move. I give it mouth to mouth. It is not breathing. I keep trying. Finally..a gasp from this tiny silver wet puppy no bigger than my hand. Silver mom is now licking the other 8 pups she already gave birth to, content to let me work on this special one. I put my mouth over its wet nose and face, breath out. It gasps again. I am awed. Cryig. Awwwwing over this puppy. Next thing I know, I feel a nose sliding along my arm...and mom gently takes her baby from my hand, begins licking. Puppy is doing ok now.

Mom never snarled at me again when I walked by. Puppy grew up but was not "all there", possibly due to lack of oxygen for so long...but so what. They had a goofy happy ALIVE puppy.

Waking up at my grandparents farm, waiting for grandpa to stoke the fire in the pot bellied stove until it was warm enough to go downstairs. Gathering eggs in the barn while grandma milked the cows. Eating a big farmers breakfast of fresh eggs, milk, ham, scratch biscuits and gravy while not realizing how poor we were.

The wife and I were cruising on my HD Road King coming up on Lake Tahoe. We rounded the bend and WHAM- we were floored. The water was turquoise and flat. It looked like a mirror. It was beyond epic

That moment is flash etched in our minds.

-Geaux

Forum List

Back