Best Live Rock Shows You've Ever Seen.

The Rolling Stones, New York Academy of Music, 1965?
Mountain (Catholic University, 197?)
Bruce Springsteen at Largo (Md.) Arena
The Alvin Brothers and the Blasters (1980's when?)
Roy Orbison (1980s. Fox Trap)
Bruce Springsteen, RFK Stadium
Bruce Springsteen, Constitution Hall (accoustic)
Bruce Springsteen, DC Convention Center

Last edited:
Target ctr acoustics suck,,,,,,

Don't most concrete bowls have crappy acoustics? Still, great show.
Targets is terrible.....cant remember who we saw there but when we went to The X the difference was incredible.

I saw just two shows at the Target Center when I lived in Minneapolis. The sound really wasn't that bad but I was pretty close to the stage. I did not see a show at the St. Paul Arena.
Were you born here....going to school.....

I got transferred by United Healthcare in 1995 and worked in their Minnetonka Corporate Office. They also had offices in Eden Prairie and Golden Valley. I lived in Minneapolis until 2001.

I saw Springsteen at the Hampton Coliseum in 1981 on the River Tour. Very good show except at times he got kind of preachy and political. I am like Bruce....just play some music buddy. :D

I just remembered another really good show. Billy Idol and Faith no More at the Capital Center in DC in 1990. Billy had to use a cane because he tore up his leg in a motorcycle crash. Great band backing him.

For old Rock, saw just about everybody. The best off the top of my head -

The Beach Boys - Washington Arena - 1965

The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Ambassador Theater - 1967

The Doors - Washington Hilton Hotel - 1967

The Byrds - don't remember where :auiqs.jpg:- 1968

The Who - Meriweather Post Pavilion - 1969

Santana (debut) - Woodstock - 1969

The Band/Ten Years After (tied) - Woodstock - 1969

The Kinks - Marshall High School - 1971

Emerson, Lake and Palmer (1st American Tour) - Alexandria Roller Rink - 1972

King Crimson - The Kennedy Center - 1975
Billy, normally I'm not a jealous guy, but that's quite a lineup. If you could pick one to travel back to, which would it be?

☮️

Billy, normally I'm not a jealous guy, but that's quite a lineup. If you could pick one to travel back to, which would it be?

Maybe the Byrds, so I could find out where I was. :auiqs.jpg:

Probably The Who concert. Ended up with better-than-front seats through no fault of our own. Was a wild night.

Probably The Who concert. Ended up with better-than-front seats through no fault of our own. Was a wild night.

The Who was by far the best show I ever saw. But you saw them in their absolute prime. Very jealous. :)

I was hoping you'd say Alvin Lee and TYA, thinking I might be able to hitch a ride with ya. Though traveling Eight Miles High sounds like a lot of fun. :)

☮️

Mountain (Catholic University, 197?)
I will never forget seeing that Bruce had a bucket of water somewhere on the drum raiser. I saw him just waltz over to it and stick his head in it, and come out like a dog shakin' it off, all without missing a bit. I saw him do it. Just keep going!

You know what sucks and is great about threads like this... Now I'm going to be up to about three or four am listening to music.

Actually, that doesn't suck!

Thanks to Lysistrata, I'm beginning with a vinyl copy of Nantucket Sleigh Ride.
Looking forward to a whale of a good time...

☮️

I saw Springsteen at the Hampton Coliseum in 1981 on the River Tour. Very good show except at times he got kind of preachy and political. I am like Bruce....just play some music buddy. :D

He plays and writes from his background and what he has learned. He came from a poor family in Jersey, his father a poor man of Irish background who was depressed and couldn't keep a job.. His mother ,the daughter of Italian immigrants ,who supported the family. He grew up in a duplex in south Jersey. He had a sister, some two years younger, but when he was a young teenager his parents then came up with another baby A few years later, his parents moved to California, his sister married at a young age, so he was alone. He rings true. He's just telling it true. This is why I like him. He fought himself out of his roots with just his guitar. This takes an amazing amount of fortitude. It takes an amazing amount of character. I love Bruce Springsteen because, whatever his faults, he is rock-solid;

Okay, let the fun begin. My all time favorite shows live.

1. The Who Hampton Coliseum 1980

2. Eric Clapton/Graham Parker Richmond Coliseum1985

3. Robert Plant Richmond Coliseum 1990.

4. Elton John Target Center Minneapolis 1998

5. Judas Priest Hampton Coliseum 1983

Please list some of your favorite shows.

Steely Dan -- Shoreline Ampitheater, Menlo Park, CA -- 1994???
(couldn't believe they were that good out of studio)

SugarLand and Little Big Town, Bridgestone Arena, 2014??
(best of new country rock and harmony)

He plays and writes from his background and what he has learned. He came from a poor family in Jersey, his father a poor man of Irish background who was depressed and couldn't keep a job.. His mother ,the daughter of Italian immigrants ,who supported the family. He grew up in a duplex in south Jersey. He had a sister, some two years younger, but when he was a young teenager his parents then came up with another baby A few years later, his parents moved to California, his sister married at a young age, so he was alone. He rings true. He's just telling it true. This is why I like him. He fought himself out of his roots with just his guitar. This takes an amazing amount of fortitude. It takes an amazing amount of character. I love Bruce Springsteen because, whatever his faults, he is rock-solid;

I read his biography as well. I only saw him once. It was a very good show. Darkness on the Edge of Town is my favorite album of his. I understand why you like him. I personally do not like a mix of entertainment and politics, no matter what the politics. But that is just me. But no doubt he is very, very good live, I certainly enjoyed the show I saw :thup:

Do I fess up to a couple Jimmy Buffet concerts or not here? Don't want to get laughed at.. It's WILD FUN.. More fun than getting bumped black/blue at a metal-head concert... LOL...

I saw him in College in the 80's before the Parrot head thing got huge, It was definitely a party. It would be hard to not enjoy yourself.

The first "US Festival", held in San Bernadino in 1982, and featured just about anyone who was hot at the time:

36311125_10216939577023869_3063811016476327936_o.jpg

A three day ticket was a whopping $37.50, and there were just shy of 500,000 people there. The heat was brutal. Four of us had driven up from San Diego in Pete Seufert's orange VW camper. We'd brought 30 cases of Budweiser with us and successfully traded beer for food with other campers.

I don't remember sleeping...

I do a lot of concert photography, and did tour photography for several "national acts", for several years, so my concert count is in the low four figures; maybe 2,000? 2,500? It's impossible to pick a favorite from that many, especially since you get to know the guys (and ladies) in the bands personally and you form friendships with them.

I can say that Kid Rock (whom I've never photographed) is pretty high up on the list of favorites. He opened for Lynyrd Skynyrd here in Jacksonville in 2018 (Kid Rock was the only act I couldn't photograph; only two photographers were approved). When his set was done, the smart move for Skynyrd would've been to just crank up the bus and hit the road. Kid Rock's set was great, while Skynyrd's was... meh.

Pink Floyd's "The Wall" was pretty fuckin' epic. Back in the 70's, everything was about "light shows", and some bands, like Pink Floyd, would really push that envelope, culminating with the "The Wall" production. It was an amazing show.

And, of course, Led Zeppelin at Madison Square Garden in 1977...

You know what sucks and is great about threads like this... Now I'm going to be up to about three or four am listening to music.

I don't think that politics or organized religion actually expresses who we truly are. in our hearts when we are alone with our our selves.

I read his biography as well. I only saw him once. It was a very good show. Darkness on the Edge of Town is my favorite album of his. I understand why you like him. I personally do not like a mix of entertainment and politics, no matter what the politics. But that is just me. But no doubt he is very, very good live, I certainly enjoyed the show I saw :thup:

I remember when I was in law school, at night after after working a full day at my job, working by day and going to school at night. I used to blast Springsteen on the radio when I was driving home, The message was DON'T QUIT!. Hang tough, even if you have to power through the darkness. Springsteen's music certainly helped me get to hang tough and graduate.

I don't think that politics or organized religion actually expresses who we truly are. in our hearts when we are alone with our our selves.

I remember when I was in law school, at night after after working a full day at my job, working by day and going to school at night. I used to blast Springsteen on the radio when I was driving home, The message was DON'T QUIT!. Hang tough, even if you have to power through the darkness. Springsteen's music certainly helped me get to hang tough and graduate.

I truly understand. I went to graduate school while working night shifts in a psychiatric hospital. I still don't know how I did it. It was an unbelievable grind. Springsteen was big for me in my late teens to mid twenties. I still remember drinking beer with some buddies listening to Racing in the Streets and Candy's Room. Atlantic City is an amazing song. So is Brilliant Disguise, Thunder Road, and many, many others.

Forum List

Back