Bernie, Hillary, Progressivism, and The Big Change

Mac1958

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2011
Opposing Authoritarian Ideological Fundamentalism.
Here's another sign that the country is indeed "fundamentally changing": Bernie Sanders challenging Hillary Clinton's progressive bona fides and Hillary fighting for them.

Up until this election, it was (by far) more likely that only conservatives would be having this conversation on their end of the spectrum, and liberals would be avoiding it.

Republican candidates have been falling all over each other, claiming to be "the most conservative candidate in the race" (from City Council to President), and the Democrats have been avoiding the opposite and saying that "labels don't matter". I saw MANY signs in my town where the Democrat didn't have the word "Democrat" anywhere. This was even after Bush's horrific administration.

Now, the Democrats are loud and proud and "progressive".

Times do change!

Most people could care less what Bernie and Hillary call themselves. It's a waste of time to focus on it. This is more for the media pundits who make their living following politics and filling air time with blah blah blah that doesn't matter. Does Hillary actually think more people will vote for her if she takes on the label "Progressive?" How they have voted and what they have done in the political arena is what counts.

If it matters at all, you're probably right, Mac, that the country is becoming proud of its extremes. Not such a great thing, imo, but it is the natural consequence of the US Congress screwing around for the past several years. Time to clean house.

Most people could care less what Bernie and Hillary call themselves. It's a waste of time to focus on it. This is more for the media pundits who make their living following politics and filling air time with blah blah blah that doesn't matter. Does Hillary actually think more people will vote for her if she takes on the label "Progressive?" How they have voted and what they have done in the political arena is what counts.

If it matters at all, you're probably right, Mac, that the country is becoming proud of its extremes. Not such a great thing, imo, but it is the natural consequence of the US Congress screwing around for the past several years. Time to clean house.
Can't argue. In politics, right now, the highest priority is on little words and phrases that fit onto a bumper sticker, "tweet", protest sign or sound bite.

We simply no longer have the requisite attention span.

Interesting to watch, though.

Last edited:
Here's another sign that the country is indeed "fundamentally changing": Bernie Sanders challenging Hillary Clinton's progressive bona fides and Hillary fighting for them.

Up until this election, it was (by far) more likely that only conservatives would be having this conversation on their end of the spectrum, and liberals would be avoiding it.

Republican candidates have been falling all over each other, claiming to be "the most conservative candidate in the race" (from City Council to President), and the Democrats have been avoiding the opposite and saying that "labels don't matter". I saw MANY signs in my town where the Democrat didn't have the word "Democrat" anywhere. This was even after Bush's horrific administration.

Now, the Democrats are loud and proud and "progressive".

Times do change!

I told you guys Bernie is the one you don't see coming. There has been animosity building for awhile.

There are two groups vying for power with the Republican party.

There are liberals that are liberals and those that are Wall Street.Those are two camps of people that vote Democrat. Most of the Democrats as elected officials are all about big business.

A whole lot of us left both parties.

I find it interesting that whether or not Hillary is progressive is an Issue. The fact that this is the biggest difference they have is encouraging because they agree on almost everything else. The programs that Obama started will be continued no matter which one comes out on top.

Hillary is not a liberal. She maintains the status quo.

Forum List

Back