Benchmarks for success in the Obama administration?

DavidS

Anti-Tea Party Member
Sep 7, 2008
New York, NY
I hear so many Republicans are whetting their appetite for revenge in 2012, they're almost SURE that Obama will mess up!

So - with that in mind, I'd like to know just how Obama will mess up?

What are your benchmarks that you want in place, as a standard, a goal for Obama to hit by October 2012 in order to consider his 4 years a success or a failure?

Unemployment numbers? GDP numbers? Dow figures? Foreign policy measures?

You name it. This is your chance to state loudly and clearly what your goals are for the Obama administration. Hopefully if we're all still around here in 4 years, we can go back to this thread. Of course, there's one catch - if Obama meets these goals, you have to vote for him in 2012.

I do not accept your caveat that we "have to" vote for him in the next election.. if I or anyone else would feel that the opposing candidate better suits our criteria, our stances, etc, I would still indeed vote for the other person

If Main Street's economy is turning around, if the nosedive that describes the trajectory of the quality of life for the majority of American, so much as turns into a bellyflop, I'll call Obama a genius.

Obama alluded to doing something about fixing our insane trade policies.

Given that so few Americans seem to understand that that is the major problem facing us, I understand why he didn't make that one of his major talking points.

But surely the *cognogensia understand what the fundamental problem is and has been for some time.

Now all they have to do is change those laws from FREE TRADE to something approaching fair trade.

If I see that happening, then I'll know this Democratic regime is serious about saving this nation.

Some of you MUST REALIZE that I sound more like a 1950's radical Republican than a Liberal, when I harp on this issue, right?

I'm not entirely howling in the winderness here, am I?

Can I get a witness?

* "cognogensia" don't bother looking it up. I just coined the word.

In no particular order I will be happy if:

1. Oceans stop rising.
2. Famine is no longer spreading.
3. Storms do not devastate our lands.
4. Children in Bangladesh are lifted out of poverty.
5. The scourge of AIDS is banished.
6. Bloggers in Iran are free to blog.

I submit that President-Elect Obama's first term will see little in the way of real improvement in the economy as we see it now or the world security situation. In fact I see his first 4 years as more of a hold the line and and plug the leaks period. Let me explain my opinion, First if the Bush tax cuts are allowed to expire which they will at this point be allowed to do, that won't happen until 2010. Then you will have most likely a long protracted congressional fight over the very same tax cuts during a time when the mid term elections are in play, when no Middle Class tax cut has been instituted yet. This by itself will be a good item for candidates to run on in the mid-term elections. When and if the Middle Class-Tax cuts come into being and at this point no one is sure what they will look like now as the Obama Administration seems to be putting the brakes on the timing because the receission at best case will come into being by late FY2011 which at that time candidates for president for 2012 will have already been announced.

President-Elect Obama has indicated a willingness to listen and Democratic congressional members have indicated that they intend to institute another economic stimulus package of approx. 150 billion dollars soon after President-Elect Obama takes office. This will add an additional 150 Billion to the already 700 billion added to the deficit with not one penny spent to reducing it yet. Further, Nancy Pelosi has indicated a willingness to listen to further "bailouts" of the auto industry.

President-Elect Obama and his staff have indicated that a top priority is green jobs and energy. So most likely you will see the Gore model cap and trade legislation come into being and large amounts of additional funding to wind, solar, and tidal, with no funding to nuclear, coal, or any industries that the environmental lobby considers off limits.

President-Elect Obama will sign SCHIP almost immediatly or within the first 60 days of his administration which was vetoed by President Bush. He will most likely push for increased funding for Education and revisit other bills vetoed by President Bush.

President-Elect Obama will give Cent-Com an overall new mission in Iraq and that is to withdraw and do so as soon as possible which he has indicated can be no sooner than 16 months and then redeploy part of those Brigades to Afghanistan. Well considering the fact that is starting now and the draw down will begin from 16 to 14 as of next month that order is a little late in comming. However, on that model that would mean that US ground forces will be withdrawn from Iraq totally by late 2010. considering the 2011 Budget would have already been signed and approved and funding for those troops on the ground would need to be there till the time they leave. The real cost savings will not be realized until his re-election year of 2012.

In conclusion, given all the factors above, IMHO President-Elect Obama will be very busy just trying to keep things stable. His ambitions and spending plans will simply not be able to be implemented until 2012. If however, he decied to push the window of those social spending plans given the deficit, the economy, two wars, and a recession, he will inviting a disaster of epic proportions IMHO.

I expect him to live up to every single one of his promises. It was important enough to make them now I expect him to keep them.

I want my taxes cut.

I want the soldiers home

I want to run my car on farts

I want someone to pay for my medical bill

I want my mortgage paid for

oh, and I want all my children enrolled in college.

Thanks in advance.

I do not accept your caveat that we "have to" vote for him in the next election.. if I or anyone else would feel that the opposing candidate better suits our criteria, our stances, etc, I would still indeed vote for the other person

Your criteria? Your stances?

So if the war in Iraq is over, we've found bin laden and the economy is doing much better, because someone opposes abortion but won't stack the supreme court's deck to make abortion illegal, you'd vote for him instead of obama?

This is blind party loyalty. Our guy could be the best in the world, your guy could be the worst, but as long as he meets your "moral" crtieria, boom he's got your vote?

Your criteria? Your stances?

So if the war in Iraq is over, we've found bin laden and the economy is doing much better, because someone opposes abortion but won't stack the supreme court's deck to make abortion illegal, you'd vote for him instead of obama?

This is blind party loyalty. Our guy could be the best in the world, your guy could be the worst, but as long as he meets your "moral" crtieria, boom he's got your vote?

If someone more closely supports equality in taxation, the elimination of the entitlement mantra, having more conservative appointees to the SCOTUS, etc... YES... I would vote for them over Obama... UNLESS Obama would renouce his liberal stances and govern from a true middle/moderate position and work along those lines within my stances...

No... it is not "blind party loyalty"... it is standing by one's convictions and beliefs... I don't care if the candidate is from the Dr. Seuss party... But I do care and will always fight against the extreme liberals such as Pelosi and Obama

He will spend the first 2 or 3 years doing damage control, he was honest before he was elected by saying it could take 10 years to balance the budget and he knows that there is no way he can turn shit into shinola in 1 term. Where does he even start, We have the ongoing issues in Iraq and Afganistan and Russia is going to be that test that Biden was talking about, then he needs to somehow stabilize the credit markets so people will start buying instead of selling off every day. What a fricken mess.

He will spend the first 2 or 3 years doing damage control, he was honest before he was elected by saying it could take 10 years to balance the budget and he knows that there is no way he can turn shit into shinola in 1 term. Where does he even start, We have the ongoing issues in Iraq and Afganistan and Russia is going to be that test that Biden was talking about, then he needs to somehow stabilize the credit markets so people will start buying instead of selling off every day. What a fricken mess.

he can start with his promise of medical care just like he gets for all of us. Just like he gets. nothing less. and as quickley as he gets it.

Then he can lower my taxes.

If he can do just those too then I'll kiss his shoes.

If someone more closely supports equality in taxation,

Please, tell me what your version of equality in taxation is.

having more conservative appointees to the SCOTUS,

Why would we want social conservatives sitting on the Supreme Court? Bush appointed two judges to the court... what socially conservative programs have they voted for that you agree with?

etc... YES... I would vote for them over Obama... UNLESS Obama would renouce his liberal stances

What's wrong his liberal stances?

No... it is not "blind party loyalty"... it is standing by one's convictions and beliefs...

You may have convictions and beliefs that do well for you, but what about the rest of the country? Isn't it selfish to want to ban abortion because YOU don't like it? What about the rest of the country?

he can start with his promise of medical care just like he gets for all of us. Just like he gets. nothing less. and as quickley as he gets it.

Then he can lower my taxes.

If he can do just those too then I'll kiss his shoes.

Do you make less than $200,000 a year?

Blind equality... on income tax.. everyone is taxed the same % on every dollar earned... no loopholes... no determinations of class... the rich still pay more in total, and the poor still pay less

Why would we want social conservatives sitting on the Supreme Court? Bush appointed two judges to the court... what socially conservative programs have they voted for that you agree with?
IMHO the court is still left leaning.. and this is not a good thing

Wealth redistribution.. being beholden to the enviro-nazis... being pro-late term abortion... all wrong

You may have convictions and beliefs that do well for you, but what about the rest of the country? Isn't it selfish to want to ban abortion because YOU don't like it? What about the rest of the country?
I do not want to ban abortion... but ban it in terms of birth control... preserve the sanctity of the most innocent of human life... but still have the choice option in terms of women with their health in danger, incest, rape, etc... I fully believe stances and conviction that more closely match the stances of the founding fathers.. I believe in personal freedoms (that do not infringe on the rights and property of others)... I believe that the government is not responsible for your personal responsibilities... and these are good for the country, whether there are a bunch of people who think they are entitled to the earnings of others because they want it

your title was misleading. I thought you wanted to hear from us not argue with us. my bad.

Blind equality... on income tax.. everyone is taxed the same % on every dollar earned... no loopholes... no determinations of class... the rich still pay more in total, and the poor still pay less

Flat tax doesn't work.

IMHO the court is still left leaning.. and this is not a good thing

Why not? Why do you think the government needs to interfere in my personal life and tell me what's moral and immoral?

Wealth redistribution.. being beholden to the enviro-nazis... being pro-late term abortion... all wrong.

You think the environment and late term abortions is the only thing that liberalism stands for?

I do not want to ban abortion... but ban it in terms of birth control... preserve the sanctity of the most innocent of human life...

Who are you to tell me that because my girlfriend and I made a mistake, she has to go through 9 months of pregnancy along with all of the helathcare costs that come along with it? Again, this is government interfering with my morals - and I do not want that. I do not believe that a fetus needs protecting until it can survive outside of the womb scientifically. But those are my morals. Others believe that a fetus never needs protecting. Others believe that the clump of cells at conception needs protecting. Everyone disagrees, but at the same time, everyone has the right to disagree. In the end, the party with the most to lose should be protected the most. That party is women. They should have the right to choose to do whatever they want. To them, it's not immoral. Your religious views are different than theirs, if they have any at all. You cannot impose your religious views on them. If a woman gets pregnant 5 different times by 5 different guys and has a second trimester abortion each of those 5 times, that is her right as much as you and I would find that disgusting.

I fully believe stances and conviction that more closely match the stances of the founding fathers..

You mean, like, slavery? Sorry, but the founding fathers are obselete in a lot of their views. As time changes - so do the people's needs.

[/I believe in personal freedoms (that do not infringe on the rights and property of others)...

And yet you would be willing to infringe your own personal moral beliefs on others?

If Main Street's economy is turning around, if the nosedive that describes the trajectory of the quality of life for the majority of American, so much as turns into a bellyflop, I'll call Obama a genius.

Obama alluded to doing something about fixing our insane trade policies.

Given that so few Americans seem to understand that that is the major problem facing us, I understand why he didn't make that one of his major talking points.

You are assuming that BHO understands them.

When you ASSUME.....

Who are you to tell me that because my girlfriend and I made a mistake, she has to go through 9 months of pregnancy along with all of the helathcare costs that come along with it? Again, this is government interfering with my morals - and I do not want that. I do not believe that a fetus needs protecting until it can survive outside of the womb scientifically. But those are my morals. Others believe that a fetus never needs protecting. Others believe that the clump of cells at conception needs protecting. Everyone disagrees, but at the same time, everyone has the right to disagree. In the end, the party with the most to lose should be protected the most. That party is women. They should have the right to choose to do whatever they want. To them, it's not immoral. Your religious views are different than theirs, if they have any at all. You cannot impose your religious views on them. If a woman gets pregnant 5 different times by 5 different guys and has a second trimester abortion each of those 5 times, that is her right as much as you and I would find that disgusting.

It'ss also murder in many people's eyes. Why should that child not have a chance at a full life, the same chance we all have because you and your girlfriend made a "mistake". I was always taught that if you make a mistake you should take responsibility for it, not run away from it.

Has nothing to do with religion, I am Cathloic, but I guess by name, by their standards I am prob off to hell because I haven't been to Mass since 8th grade.

But in the end, people will always run away from their problems instead of manning up to them. Abortion will never leave and will always be used as another form of birth control.

Whats amusing is my girl used to work an abortion clinic for a little bit under a year, mostly because it was her first job in the field for which she majored in. She always told me, it was the same people that came in over and over again.

Thats very disturbing

Forum List

Back