Zone1 Beggars at the Intersection: How do you feel about them? What do you do?

In the past two years, I have noticed an epidemic of people begging at major intersections in my city. At a big four-way stop, you'll see them at all four medians. They're working in tandem. All have cardboard signs. All begging for help.

What do you do about it?

My first impulse is anger. I'm angry that they're implicitly lying about how they'll use the money, probably going for drugs or booze. The other thing is my charity solicits in front of certain stores. We have to go through a lot of red tape to get permission and permits to solicit. From the business; from the state; from the strip mall owner. And it absolutely frosts me to see these beggars at those same strip mall exits panhandling for themselves...not for charity....to buy drugs and booze. They didn't ask permission from anyone. It angers me even more when dunderheads give them money.

Now as a Christian, I wrestle with this. I feel bad that I get angry. I've talked to two priests about this. Both said I shouldn't get angry. One said that rather than give them money, I should engage with them and offer to accompany them to a restaurant and have a meal with them. The other priest said I should be pleasant and treat them like a human being, though I don't have to give them anything. He said "How rotten must their lives be that they would stand out there, regardless of what they do with the money?" He had a point. People addicted to drug or alcohol are not happy or well people. Anger isn't the proper response.

One time I did as the first priest instructed. The very next day after I talked to him, I was sitting in the parking lot at Lowe's looking at my phone. A woman tapped on my window and asked for money for something to eat. I thought it was divine providence. So I offered to go into the Kroger's and get her some fruit and bread and such. But that wasn't what she had in mind. She wanted to eat at the Sonic across the way. So I said fine and let her order. She got a meal deal with fries and a drink. I bristled at what I considered a junk meal, but went with it. I paid $8.64. Trying to make conversation, I asked her name. She refused to tell me. We talked a little bit about her circumstance. Everyone in her life was a f*cking asshole by her account. At the end, she asked for money. I declined. She thanked me for the meal and went on her way .

Pope Francis when asked the question, said he would not only talk to a beggar kindly, he would give them money. He said "So what if the person wants to buy a glass of wine. Who among us doesn't have a guilty pleasure?" I don't see it that way. I see it as enabling an addiction. I was talking to a woman who works in the ABC stores. She said she'll see these guys who were out panhandling come in with stacks of bills to buy liquor. Homeless professionals advise people to NOT give beggars money, that you can give them vouchers for the local shelter. It is a fact that most homeless are not beggars, and most beggars are not homeless.

So how did I feel after my encounter with the woman at Lowe's? Ambivalent. I felt sort of good, but also sort of like a sucker. Probably more the latter. I definitely didn't like getting her a junk meal, but I guess that wasn't the point. I liked that she seemed appreciative, and may it did help her a little. But I decided I probably would do it again if given the same circumstance, at least not in the same way.

I have softened recently, when I considered the plight of a neighbor girl my daughter's age who fell into drugs. Nice family, good neighborhood. But she just went bad. Now they don't know where she lives. She has a child her parents have adopted and take care of. What if it was this neighbor girl whom I've know since she was six who I saw pandhandling on the street corner? I wouldn't be angry then. I would feel compassion and sorrow. I'd ask her if she needed anything or to be driven somewhere. But I wouldn't give her any money.

Any thoughts about this topic?
I think you're a generous person, the type moochers exploit. I also think your instincts and judgment are superior to those you humbly asked for advice, including Frannie.

These people typically make more money than they would at a warehouse or restaurant, with frequent bonus days where someone is feeling especially generous and gives them a $100 bill or multiple people give them $20's.

They only "work" half a day or so, set their own schedule, don't get drug-tested or have to explain missed days. The American people are reliably generous. What a country!

The public assumes these people are homeless, when that's usually not the case. They often have cars and homes. The begger gig beats working for a living.

These people are exploitative. They don't feel embarrassed. I don't give them anything and I don't feel the need to explain why to them or feel guilty. They are counting on good people feeling awkward. I'm also not unfriendly or rude. In fact, I often simply say "no thanks" and move on.

Your mention of needing permits to solicit money from strangers sparked the idea that perhaps that should be applied by local authorities and enforced on these people, too.

Don't worry about them further. I'm sure your decency and generosity can be put to better use elsewhere. 👍🏻

So you‘re prioritizing Muslims over others, even if the money you gave went toward terrorism?

To answer OP’s question, I ignore them - and yes, they are all over the place. They often have children in tow, and even a baby in a stroller, which I suspect they’ve “borrowed” in order to get more people to fork over.

I have to wonder about these “mothers” I see, who are in the Target and Walmart parking lot, next to the help-wanted at $17 and hour. We give them rent-subsidized housing, food stamps, Medicaid, free this, free that. Why are they also begging?
Yes, places are begging for workers. These people probably can't pass drug tests, which leads me to another question: Why do moronic Democrats legalize pot if it means people can't pass drug tests for jobs?

Even after providing the information for you to inform yourself you are unable to educate yourself on a subject.

Nothing says I have to agree with some lower court political activist hack judge's decision. The SC even disagreed with a previous SC decision, when they overturned Roe vs. Wade.

Therefore, if anyone walks up to my window and begs for money, I will tell them to STFU and GTFO.

I had one asshole who walked up to the car once and and said "Gimme a cigarette." I saw him coming and before he'd gotten to the car, I'd already unholstered my Glock 19 and was holding it in my lap. When he saw that pistol, he turned around and walked away.

We need to show less tolerance for scam artists who exploit decent people. Why are you so quick to criticize business owners working for a living and unwilling to castigate lying thieves?

I have no idea where I criticized business owners. Can you point that out to me?

Nothing says I have to agree with some lower court political activist hack judge's decision. The SC even disagreed with a previous SC decision, when they overturned Roe vs. Wade.

Therefore, if anyone walks up to my window and begs for money, I will tell them to STFU and GTFO.

That is also your free speech right. Just the same as I do with the begging politicians.

I had one asshole who walked up to the car once and and said "Gimme a cigarette." I saw him coming and before he'd gotten to the car, I'd already unholstered my Glock 19 and was holding it in my lap. When he saw that pistol, he turned around and walked away.

Which didn't over turn the court ruling. You asked where I came up with the idea of it being protected speech and I provided that.

As long as they aren’t aggressive or in any way threatening, which most of them seem to know and abide.

That's coming.
They are begging for now because it works, or used to.
But as you can see from this thread as the millions upon millions flood every street corner, the "take" will diminish.
And they will get angry. VERY angry...."Where the fuck is MY American dream I was promised?"
Not to mention the millions of Americas already existing homeless will get less.
Hunger and desperation change a person fundamentally.

That's when the beggars will become robbers / thieves and often violent.
It's a natural progression. A few might try to return to the country they came from but most won't because it's bad there too.

America is being set up for a period of crime and violence it has never known. Might make Brazil seem ultra safe.

At the same time, Democrats are neutering and spaying Americans ability to defend themselves.
What part of this is NOT a disaster in the making?
Women will be targeted like never before and are going to suffer especially hard.

Last edited:
That's coming.
They are begging for now because it works.
But as you can see from this thread as the millions upon millions flood every street corner, the "take" will diminish.
And they will get angry. VERY angry...."Where the fuck is MY American dream I was promised?"
Not to mention the millions of Americas already existing homeless will get less.

That's when the beggars will become robbers / thieves and often violent.
It's a natural progression.

America is being set up for a period of crime and violence it has never known. Might make Brazil seem ultra safe.

At the same time, Democrats are neutering and spaying Americans ability to defend themselves.
What part of this is NOT a disaster in the making?
We are indeed turning into a third-world country.

It's a mixed bag when it comes to the homeless, and panhandlers. Recently I say a guy posted out front of the local WalMart, waving a piece of cardboard, saying he's out of work, anything helps. He even had his wife and two kids with him. Well it just so happened I was on my way to a piece of my property to do some land clearing. I offered the guy 20 bucks an hour to help, and he can keep at it as long as he wanted too. He of course declined the offer. He probably makes more than what I offered through handouts by suckers at the grocery store.. oh well...

But I'll tell you who are the worst, most devious con artists when it comes to "donating" to those in need. It stores like WalMart, and Publix that ask you to round up, or donate to a given charity. Like StJudes, or children's hospitals ect... This is a flat out scam. Sure. They do give the money to said charity. What they don't tell you, is that that sum of money is then written off, as a tax deductible donation by the store. So you aren't really donating to charity. You are donating to that corporations tax payments. Fuck that!

You don’t give to charity? tzedakah is a commandment.

Maimonedes, in the Mishneh Torah, Hilkhot matanot aniyim, describes the highest level of Tzdaka as,

"Giving an interest-free loan to a person in need; forming a partnership with a person in need; giving a grant to a person in need; finding a job for a person in need, so long as that loan, grant, partnership, or job results in the person no longer living by relying upon others."

In other words, a hand, not a hand-out.

Giving a pittance either to someone on the street or to a "registered-charity" won't accomplish that.

The public assumes these people are homeless, when that's usually not the case. They often have cars and homes. The begger gig beats working for a living.

Don't worry about them further. I'm sure your decency and generosity can be put to better use elsewhere. 👍🏻

If you think that even a small fraction of the 20 million or more illegals that come across the border all have homes .....I have a bridge for sale.
Some of them will end up moving in with already established illegal friends that came earlier.

But resources are not infinite. A society can only absorb so much needy. Too many Democrats assume Americas wealth is infinite and boundless.
They say "Just print more money"

Last edited:
Years ago one of my nephews worked at a Big Red Liquor store that happen to be right next to a hwy exit ramp.
These people would come in several times a day and buy "singles" - a favorite item for many an alcoholic.
You see them right at the register. Tiny little bottles of vodka or rum or whatever.
All day long, in and out.. in and out.
That is where your money goes if you give to them. You are simply supplying their addictions.

The people begging do not care who is in office. Panhandling is a protected 1st Amendment right.

I don't think so. The Founding Fathers didn't pass the Bill of Rights to guarantee people the right to go out and ask for spare change.

In fact, in their day, bums would be sent to the local workhouse.

I doubt the amendment would have been ratified if the people thought they were glorifying this kind of behavior.

Years ago one of my nephews worked at a Big Red Liquor store that happen to be right next to a hwy exit ramp.
These people would come in several times a day and buy "singles" - a favorite item for many an alcoholic.
You see them right at the register. Tiny little bottles of vodka or rum or whatever.
That is where your money goes if you give to them. You are simply supplying their addictions.

Interesting you mention that.
Those little bottles you mention are showing up on my lawn more and more recently.

Or one could look at it as keeping your nephew in a job.

Forum List

Back