Beautiful day in the neighborhood.

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
We spent the first 10 minutes confused. We thought the movie was about Mr. Rogers, which it kind of is... but then it isn't.
The main character is a Esquire magazine writer who is interviewing Mr. Rogers. And that is what the movie is about.
Once you understand that, the movie is okay. But not really very good.
In a rare underperformance, Tom Hanks doesn't capture Fred Rogers very well, and the atrocious makeup job makes that worse. You simply can't get beyond you are watching Tom Hanks in bad make up playing a character he isn't connecting with.

I say skip this one...

We spent the first 10 minutes confused. We thought the movie was about Mr. Rogers, which it kind of is... but then it isn't.
The main character is a Esquire magazine writer who is interviewing Mr. Rogers. And that is what the movie is about.
In a rare underperformance, Tom Hanks doesn't capture Fred Rogers very well, and the atrocious makeup job makes that worse. You simply can't get beyond you are watching Tom Hanks in bad make up playing a character he isn't connecting with.

I say skip this one...

I remember as a child I tuned in to him. Something felt creepy and uneasy and I never watched him again

Then I saw Sesame Street, shook my head and said how fucking stupid this was

Then I saw Capt Kangaroo and thought how ridikilis this is

But when I met Miss Barbara on Romper Room, I fell in love with her head over heals. That is when I discovered my heterosexuality, at that moment

I remember as a child I tuned in to him. Something felt creepy and uneasy and I never watched him again

But when I met Miss Barbara on Romper Room, I fell in love with her head over heals. That is when I discovered my heterosexuality, at that moment
I didn't like Mister Rogers either, and like you, I didn't like Capt Kangaroo either.
Scooby Doo, Fat Albert and Lost in Space was for me
And for sure my heterosexuality was affirmed by Daphne in Scooby Doo... I had a certain liking to her that I did not yet understand.

I say skip this one...

I have to give the movie a B Plus. Think it was the last movie I ever saw at the cinema since the Democraps used Covid to imprison us and destroy everything

The problem may be that you started watching children's TV shows when you were in your 20s.

A lame movie with a lame plot starring Hanks in his declining career.
Declining or by choice?
Hanks has clearly decided to do only what he wants to do.
To me, his last great film was "Bridge of Spies" in 2015. I didn't say his last GOOD film, I said great movie.
News of the Day was very good for instance.
Hanks is 65 years old. He has been in dozens of movies, starred in most. I don't think he has any interest in exhausting himself like he use to.
We see this in many-many other aging actors.

I say skip this one...

If you have an interest in Mr Rogers, try the documentary, Won't You Be My Neighbor? IMHO, it is better than the movie. Tom Hanks did a good job but playing Mr. Rogers would not be easy. Dramatizing his life is difficult because he was not a very dramatic person. You can sum up his whole life in a statement he made many times to kids,
You are special and so is everyone else in this world.” The world needs more people like Mr. Rogers.

If you have an interest in Mr Rogers, try the documentary, Won't You Be My Neighbor? IMHO, it is better than the movie. Tom Hanks did a good job but playing Mr. Rogers would not be easy. Dramatizing his life is difficult because he was not a very dramatic person. You can sum up his whole life in a statement he made many times to kids,
You are special and so is everyone else in this world.” The world needs more people like Mr. Rogers.
Mr. Rogers was the speaker at my undergrad graduation.

Declining or by choice?
Hanks has clearly decided to do only what he wants to do.
To me, his last great film was "Bridge of Spies" in 2015. I didn't say his last GOOD film, I said great movie.
News of the Day was very good for instance.
Hanks is 65 years old. He has been in dozens of movies, starred in most. I don't think he has any interest in exhausting himself like he use to.
We see this in many-many other aging actors.
Very true. Most actors like most successful people reach a time in their life where they want to do things that they could never do during their busy career. That might be making movies about subjects they really care about, pursuing other careers, or just focusing on things that they missed like family, hobbies, or just the simply pleasures in life.

There are certainly exceptions. Michael Caine who served in British Military in Germany in 40's and in Korea began a 70 year career making over 72 major movies, most of which he had the leading role. At 89, today he is still making major movies. He told a reporter once, "Regarding retirement, I've spent over 50 years getting up at 6 a.m. to make movies, and I'm not getting rid of my alarm clock!" For some people, their career is just a job, for others, it's their life.

Forum List

Back