Bashkortostan today, as I predicted I 1917 N2

Clashes broke out between the police and a large crowd of people in support of Fail Alsynov, who was a leader of an extremist organization.

He was accused of insulting migrant workers in a speech and was found guilty of inciting ethnic hatred. Moscow did the right thing and the far-right rioters needed to be contained.

Jan 17 (Reuters) - Riot police fired tear gas and hit protesters with batons in the Russian republic of Bashkortostan on Wednesday after a leading local rights activist was sentenced to four years in a penal colony.

Clashes broke out between the police and a large crowd of people who had gathered in support of the activist, Fail Alsynov. At a trial that was closed to the media, a court found him guilty of inciting ethnic hatred, a charge he denied.

Alsynov was accused of insulting migrant workers in a speech he made in April 2023 at a protest over plans to mine for gold in Bashkortostan, which is located in Russia's southern Ural mountains near the border between Europe and Asia.

Forum List

Back