Baseball Strategy

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
I am a lifetime resident of Pittsburgh and a follower, if not a fan, of the Pirates. In this position one recalls the names of players who have historically been hard on the Pirates. At the top of that list is one Albert Pujols. He has beat the Pirates like the proverbial rented mule.

It hasn't been much of a problem during the time when he was playing for the LAA, but now he is back in St Louie.

It seems to me that if I were the manager of the Pirates I would sit down with the pitching staff and say, "Don't let this guy beat us."

It's a simple request. Don't give the sonofabitch any pitch that he can hit. Even if you walk him, even if you hit him, DON'T LET HIM BEAT US!

So yesterday I got a couple of free tickets to the Pirate game (fireworks night). Pujols hits a home run and gets three RBI. The Pirates lost through a couple of fluke happenstances, but had Pujols been neutralized, they would have won the game.

Today, SAME FUCKING THING. Pirates up 2-0 in the ninth and PUJOLS HITS A 2-RUN HOMER!

Jesus Fucking Christ!

I'm reminded of the title of an old book about the original, pathetic, New York Mets: "Can't Anybody here Play this Game?"

It's bad enough that they refuse to spend any money on payroll, but do they have to give away games through strategic idiocy?

What about it? Is it reasonable to expect that the Pirates would make such a demand of the pitching staff, and is it possible at the Major League level? Don't let this particular player beat us.

That's difficult with The Machine. He has beaten every team for 20 years. One of the truly all-time greats. And someone I would have zero problems with breaking Babe's record. He's always played the game clean and is a phenomenal person. His charity work and giving of his time is legendary.

If he doesn't get to 715 this year, I hope he comes back next year, although he has been pretty adamant that this year is it for him.

I had planned to travel to Pittsburgh for late August to visit relatives and see the Braves play the Pirates. I really want to go to PNC Park, one of the nicest, and with a view that's pretty much unmatched.

PNC Park Top 5 Traits - Bucs Dugout

Pirates are on the bottom of the league. If there was something to battle for, yeah, I pitch strategically to certain players in specific situations. If you're out of it as the Pirates are, bring the fans who pay good money the battle between athletes.

That's my take at least. There is no shame in losing the battle once in awhile.

I am a lifetime resident of Pittsburgh and a follower, if not a fan, of the Pirates. In this position one recalls the names of players who have historically been hard on the Pirates. At the top of that list is one Albert Pujols. He has beat the Pirates like the proverbial rented mule.

It hasn't been much of a problem during the time when he was playing for the LAA, but now he is back in St Louie.

It seems to me that if I were the manager of the Pirates I would sit down with the pitching staff and say, "Don't let this guy beat us."

It's a simple request. Don't give the sonofabitch any pitch that he can hit. Even if you walk him, even if you hit him, DON'T LET HIM BEAT US!

So yesterday I got a couple of free tickets to the Pirate game (fireworks night). Pujols hits a home run and gets three RBI. The Pirates lost through a couple of fluke happenstances, but had Pujols been neutralized, they would have won the game.

Today, SAME FUCKING THING. Pirates up 2-0 in the ninth and PUJOLS HITS A 2-RUN HOMER!

Jesus Fucking Christ!

I'm reminded of the title of an old book about the original, pathetic, New York Mets: "Can't Anybody here Play this Game?"

It's bad enough that they refuse to spend any money on payroll, but do they have to give away games through strategic idiocy?

What about it? Is it reasonable to expect that the Pirates would make such a demand of the pitching staff, and is it possible at the Major League level? Don't let this particular player beat us.
Lifelong St. Louis fan here. I was miffed at sitting both Arenado and Goldschmidt yesterday and figured it was a giveaway game. I don't agree with those, we need to keep pushing as we haven't won anything yet. And your Pirates held us to 3 hits until the 9th when I believe DeJong came in....leadoff double, Pujols hits his homer followed by another from O"Neill.
We in St. Louis are very surprised at how well Albert is playing, but he is getting additional at bats from what he has seen the last 6 years or so. He will kill just about anything inside, off-speed in well placed locations is usually his Achilles heel.

I don't deny that Pujols is a great player. I've always admired his play and how he carries himself. Sure fire HOF.

But why the fuck did the Pirates let him beat them, TWICE? It is inexplicable.

Jesus Fucking Christ!

I think you're overreacting in this particular instance.

If Puljols was in his prime? Yes, your post would make sense.

But he's washed up overall, and not to be feared like he was. He's bound to get some big hits here and there like all mid-level players... but you can't be scared of him as if he was in his prime. Just tip your cap to an old man who got a good swing on a pitch...

Forum List

Back