Pogo

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2012
Fennario
This thread is about politics --- not sports. Let's get that clear at the start.

>> ...if you’ve been to a baseball game at any time in the last decade, you’ve probably noticed some changes. Military or law enforcement members now perform flag ceremonies before the start of the game. Military recruits are enlisted right on the field. Surprise reunions of deployed men and women and their families play out before an audience of thousands. There’s always the obligatory ovation for wounded warriors. And this year saw a flyover by three F-18 fighter jets during the playing of the national anthem.

The games have morphed into choreographed patriotic events. Who’s paying for all this hoopla? As it turns out, you and I are, through the tax money that we send to the Pentagon.

Former Arizona Republican senators John McCain and Jeff Flake issued a report a few years ago that found that since 2013, the most recent year for which statistics are available, the Pentagon has shelled out at least $6.8 million for Major League Baseball, the National Football League, and other sports leagues to “honor” troops with cheap stunts at sporting events. The details are listed in a new Senate report.

The total tally may top $10 million — and even reach $100 million, if you count the military’s marketing deals with NASCAR.

For millions of your tax dollars, the Pentagon is buying things like ceremonial first pitches for recent veterans, club-level seats for vets at football games, and airport greetings for returning service members.

If that sounds crass to you, you’re not alone.

... Patriotism is a good thing. It can be unifying and inspiring. But what we’re seeing at sporting events isn’t patriotism. It’s nationalism — propaganda, even — and it’s potentially dangerous.

The Pentagon even pays for “sponsored” renditions of God Bless America.

Irving Berlin wrote that song in 1918 as a show tune for a revue called Yip Yip Yaphank. ...Since then, it’s become an official part of Major League Baseball games. In several stadiums the tune has replaced Take Me Out to the Ballgame in group sing-alongs during the seventh-inning stretch.

In fact, this former show tune has become mandatory in some places.

In 2008, a fan at Yankee Stadium was restrained and then ejected by police officers for attempting to leave his seat for the restroom while the song was playing. The following year, three minor league fans of the now-defunct Newark Bears were ejected from the stadium for refusing to stand during the song.

If it’s freely chosen, standing for the national anthem is patriotic. Forcing people to stand for God Bless America isn’t. This is about more than taxpayer money. The government has no business propagandizing the American people. --- John Kiriakou, former CIA counterterrorism officer and former senior investigator with the Senate Foreign Relations Committee

This Paid Patriotism Scandal, starring the US Pentagon in the role of Pimp, is sadly not a new story. It's the same Jingoism song and dance (literally) that brought NFL players out to the field for the national anthem about ten years ago, which, unknown to the general public because it was never part of the telecast, became a fake "issue" when some photographer who obviously wasn't doing the Jingo Dance snapped quarterback Colin Kaepernick's picture, sitting out the song.

Your tax dollars at work, fans. And you non-fans, you're paying the same thing for mass Jingo-ball choreography literally forced on a captive audience who came there for a completely different purpose, that being to specifically get away from . Good to know as April 15 approaches, right?

Just in case it didn't sink in:
"God Bless Ameirca" replaces "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" --- the exact event they all came there for.
Now try to imagine being forcibly ejected for refusing to sing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame".

Next time you go to a sports event and they try to force you to do the mandatory Jingo Dance, pull out your Earnest V. Starr flag and walk out of your seat. Do it in droves. We won't all fit in the bathroom so go get something to eat or drink. Just walk around until the Jingo Exercise peters out. Flatly refuse to sit in the back of the bus and make them arrest us all until it sinks in to them that they can't coerce people.

Got virtually a whole baseball season in front of us. Do it. Resist Big State.

Statist-enforced mob mentality ---- where it leads:

ExaltedVictoriousJellyfish-max-1mb.gif

Authoritarians LOVE this shit. And they rouse the unwashed to do their authoritarian bidding with phrases like "get that sumbitch off the field, he's fired".

PLAY BALL.

This thread is about politics --- not sports. Let's get that clear at the start.

>> ...if you’ve been to a baseball game at any time in the last decade, you’ve probably noticed some changes. Military or law enforcement members now perform flag ceremonies before the start of the game. Military recruits are enlisted right on the field. Surprise reunions of deployed men and women and their families play out before an audience of thousands. There’s always the obligatory ovation for wounded warriors. And this year saw a flyover by three F-18 fighter jets during the playing of the national anthem.

The games have morphed into choreographed patriotic events. Who’s paying for all this hoopla? As it turns out, you and I are, through the tax money that we send to the Pentagon.

Former Arizona Republican senators John McCain and Jeff Flake issued a report a few years ago that found that since 2013, the most recent year for which statistics are available, the Pentagon has shelled out at least $6.8 million for Major League Baseball, the National Football League, and other sports leagues to “honor” troops with cheap stunts at sporting events. The details are listed in a new Senate report.

The total tally may top $10 million — and even reach $100 million, if you count the military’s marketing deals with NASCAR.

For millions of your tax dollars, the Pentagon is buying things like ceremonial first pitches for recent veterans, club-level seats for vets at football games, and airport greetings for returning service members.

... Patriotism is a good thing. It can be unifying and inspiring. But what we’re seeing at sporting events isn’t patriotism. It’s nationalism — propaganda, even — and it’s potentially dangerous.

Irving Berlin wrote that song in 1918 as a show tune for a revue called Yip Yip Yaphank. ...Since then, it’s become an official part of Major League Baseball games. In several stadiums the tune has replaced Take Me Out to the Ballgame in group sing-alongs during the seventh-inning stretch.

In 2008, a fan at Yankee Stadium was restrained and then ejected by police officers for attempting to leave his seat for the restroom while the song was playing. The following year, three minor league fans of the now-defunct Newark Bears were ejected from the stadium for refusing to stand during the song.

If it’s freely chosen, standing for the national anthem is patriotic. Forcing people to stand for God Bless America isn’t. This is about more than taxpayer money. The government has no business propagandizing the American people. --- John Kiriakou, former CIA counterterrorism officer and former senior investigator with the Senate Foreign Relations Committee

This Paid Patriotism Scandal, starring the US Pentagon in the role of Pimp, is sadly not a new story. It's the same Jingoism song and dance (literally) that brought NFL players out to the field for the national anthem about ten years ago, which, unknown to the general public because it was never part of the telecast, became a fake "issue" when some photographer who obviously wasn't doing the Jingo Dance snapped quarterback Colin Kaepernick's picture, sitting out the song.

Your tax dollars at work, fans. And you non-fans, you're paying the same thing for mass Jingo-ball choreography literally forced on a captive audience who came there for a completely different purpose, that being to specifically get away from . Good to know as April 15 approaches, right?

"God Bless Ameirca" replaces "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" --- the exact event they all came there for.
Now try to imagine being forcibly ejected for refusing to sing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame".

Next time you go to a sports event and they try to force you to do the mandatory Jingo Dance, pull out your Earnest V. Starr flag and walk out of your seat. Do it in droves. We won't all fit in the bathroom so go get something to eat or drink. Just walk around until the Jingo Exercise peters out. Flatly refuse to sit in the back of the bus and make them arrest us all until it sinks in to them that they can't coerce people.

Authoritarians LOVE this shit. And they rouse the unwashed to do their authoritarian bidding with phrases like "get that sumbitch off the field, he's fired".

PLAY BALL.
Compelled patriotism – with those who refuse to conform accused of being ‘unpatriotic’ and ‘un-American.’

Pity Americans can’t enjoy sporting events absent the jingoistic bombast.

I don't watch pro sports. We're all sorry that your sensibilities have been harmed by seeing a military plane fly across a stadium.

And you paid for it. Keep that in mind on Monday when your tax return is due. Gaze at that number on Line 15 and rejoice that it's going to pimp a Jingo commercial to a captive audience attending a sport you don't even follow.

I don't watch pro sports. We're all sorry that your sensibilities have been harmed by seeing a military plane fly across a stadium.

And you paid for it. Keep that in mind on Monday when your tax return is due. Gaze at that number on Line 15 and rejoice that it's going to pimp a Jingo commercial to a captive audience attending a sport you don't even follow.

You'll have to remind me what line 15 is. My acct does my taxes. Id screw it all up if I ever got near doing my own taxes.

You'll have to remind me what line 15 is. My acct does my taxes. Id screw it all up if I ever got near doing my own taxes.

Not to worry about screwups. The government is already doing that for you.

That's kind of the point of this whole thread.

Not to worry about screwups. The government is already doing that for you.

That's kind of the point of this whole thread.

I get it, lol.

Captive audience? The attendees are allowed to get up and leave any time they want, right? Or am I mistaken?

Now if you want a clear case of a captive audience being forced to swallow propaganda look no further than your nearest public school.

Captive audience? The attendees are allowed to get up and leave any time they want, right? Or am I mistaken?

Now if you want a clear case of a captive audience being forced to swallow propaganda look no further than your nearest public school.

That's another and unrelated instance. I clearly remember that captivity when it dawned on me the first day at age 5 that I couldn't leave.

But yes, "captive audience" still applies. They make you do the Jingo Dance just before the game starts, in other words you don't get the game until you get through the Jingo Ball. And in some cases they're throwing you out if you don't do it.

Click on that Earnest V. Starr link for a clue where that leads.

PLAY BALL.
Wow! Looks like the left has their own conspiracy theorist nutjobs........ Next you'll be believing that Jade Helm is indeed the military's plan to take over the country........ Never expected that from you.

Remember, all volunteer military which means more monies have to be earmarked for recruitment and retention of qualified individuals not to mention finding ways to appeal to those individuals.

Military Leaders Highlight Efforts, Challenges in Recruiting, Retention > U.S. DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE > Article

us military retention problems - Google Search

PLAY BALL.

It happens at Blue Jay games too, but of course, it's the Canadian Armed Forces, but they don't have recruiting on the field or anything like that, but they do have veterans throwing out the first pitch. Canada was in Afghanistan for 10 years, and we had a lot of deaths and wounded veterans there too. Most Americans aren't aware of this.

PLAY BALL.
Wow! Looks like the left has their own conspiracy theorist nutjobs........ Next you'll be believing that Jade Helm is indeed the military's plan to take over the country........ Never expected that from you.

Remember, all volunteer military which means more monies have to be earmarked for recruitment and retention of qualified individuals not to mention finding ways to appeal to those individuals.

Military Leaders Highlight Efforts, Challenges in Recruiting, Retention > U.S. DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE > Article

us military retention problems - Google Search

Oooookaaaay... what's any of this got to do with the topic?

When I go to a baseball game, I go FOR a baseball game. Not for a fucking jingo commercial and for DAMN sure not for a frickin' mandatory one.

Forum List

Back