Banning ammo that can defeat body armor...?

We both know why the 5.56 was singled out. It's the round that fits into those "scary guns"

I'm actually fine with the ban. MOST people who want such ammunition probably can't even legally own a gun anyway; which of course begs the question of why are we not enforcing current law.

Guns are just one of those thing where hard liners on BOTH sides are going to have to give some in order to come up with any reasonable solutions.
Oh bullshit.

It is cheaper than lead, and this is all because some menopausal old bitches like Feinstein think green tipped ammo looks scary.

Same reason they banned bayonet lugs, to phallic for dried up crones in power.

See , you're completely irrational on the topic. Have a good day RR

No, but for the first time I might actually believe you were a fuckin' low life MP.

no one, least of all I,cares what you think Road Runner. You're just a crusty old man who has nothing left in his life except the internet and his guns.

Not even smart enough to figure out that if you fight every little sensible gun regulation people will just feel less inclined to deal with you.
This is not a sensible little gun regulation and your Fascist ass knows it.

I never said it was

M-855 is really not that good of an ammo. It is notoriously inaccurate and does not fragment as well as M-193 at useful distances. It is better at penetration but less able to create fragmentation. I can take it or leave it but I prefer M-193.'

However, M-855 is plentiful and its ban will cause a major disruption in both the ammo and reloading market for the next couple of years.

I am to the point where I have enough ammo in storage to last me the rest of my life with shooting at the range each week and still have a respectable SHTF supply. In addition, I have significant reloading components including thousands of M-855 projectiles.

I am not worried but I hate to see the disruption in the market. Another Obamascare.

I'm actually fine with the ban. MOST people who want such ammunition probably can't even legally own a gun anyway; which of course begs the question of why are we not enforcing current law.
SS109 rounds are in demand, and being banned, because they are relatively cheap and plentiful - the idea that only kids want them is utterly unsupportable.
Guns are just one of those thing where hard liners on BOTH sides are going to have to give some in order to come up with any reasonable solutions.
If the anti-gun loons had anything to offer in return for my giving away part of my rights, I'd listen.

i wasnt implying that kids want them. I meant criminals.
You implied most AR owners are criminals.

That is totally wrong.

SS109 rounds are in demand, and being banned, because they are relatively cheap and plentiful - the idea that only kids want them is utterly unsupportable.
If the anti-gun loons had anything to offer in return for my giving away part of my rights, I'd listen.
I wasnt implying that kids want them. I meant criminals.
Also unsupportable given the tiny fraction of gun-related crimes committed with AR-type rifles, much less SS109 rounds.

M-855 is really not that good of an ammo. It is notoriously inaccurate and does not fragment as well as M-193 at useful distances. It is better at penetration but less able to create fragmentation. I can take it or leave it but I prefer M-193.'

However, M-855 is plentiful and its ban will cause a major disruption in both the ammo and reloading market for the next couple of years.

I am to the point where I have enough ammo in storage to last me the rest of my life with shooting at the range each week and still have a respectable SHTF supply. In addition, I have significant reloading components including thousands of M-855 projectiles.

I am not worried but I hate to see the disruption in the market. Another Obamascare.
It's like they create these ammo panics because they own stock in the companies.

Much has been made of the BATFE decision to ban 5.56mm SS109 “green tip” ammunition, as it is “armor piercing” and able to defeat the typical soft armor vests worn by police.

http://www.atf.gov/sites/default/fi..._primarily_intended_for_sporting_purposes.pdf

Presuming that you support this move by the BATFE, do you then believe that all ammunition capable of defeating the typical soft armor vests worn by police should be banned as well?

If so, why?
If not, why not?

We both know why the 5.56 was singled out. It's the round that fits into those "scary guns"

Why should anyone "give up" a right? Since guns stop, on average 1.6 million violent crimes a year.....and those bullets go into guns that are the least likely to be used in a crime......what is the point other than banning by small cuts......?

Green tipped? ANY 5.56/223 ammo will go through level III soft armor. Many .45 pistol rounds will. All rifle will. Almost all shotgun will. By this standard...almost all ammo should be banned.

Hes a moron for using this standard. For one...5.56 ammo is rarely used to shoot cops.

Second...in the event an "assault rifle" is used against cops, its most often an AK47 variation. Which fires 7.62, not 5.56.

Green tipped? ANY 5.56/223 ammo will go through level III soft armor. Many .45 pistol rounds will. All rifle will. Almost all shotgun will. By this standard...almost all ammo should be banned.

Hes a moron for using this standard. For one...5.56 ammo is rarely used to shoot cops.

Second...in the event an "assault rifle" is used against cops, its most often an AK47 variation. Which fires 7.62, not 5.56.

And hence....this is just the first tentative step towards going after that other ammo......

That's why I say, not one more gun, bullet or piece of equipment......we have all the laws we need, enforce them....

so now no criminals want rifles eh?

What are the statistics regarding crimes committed with rifles?

79.9% of gun crime is with handguns.
11.1% with rifles.

MOST gun crime is the theft of the gun.

So, violent crime is the real question.

96.3% of violent acts involving a firearm occur with a handgun.

More violent acts are committed with shotguns than with rifles.

http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/GUIC.PDF

I'm kinda surprised you're a gun grabber.

Much has been made of the BATFE decision to ban 5.56mm SS109 “green tip” ammunition, as it is “armor piercing” and able to defeat the typical soft armor vests worn by police.

http://www.atf.gov/sites/default/fi..._primarily_intended_for_sporting_purposes.pdf

Presuming that you support this move by the BATFE, do you then believe that all ammunition capable of defeating the typical soft armor vests worn by police should be banned as well?

If so, why?
If not, why not?

Oh bullshit.

It is cheaper than lead, and this is all because some menopausal old bitches like Feinstein think green tipped ammo looks scary.

No, but for the first time I might actually believe you were a fuckin' low life MP.

no one, least of all I,cares what you think Road Runner. You're just a crusty old man who has nothing left in his life except the internet and his guns.

Not even smart enough to figure out that if you fight every little sensible gun regulation people will just feel less inclined to deal with you.

There is absolutely no reason to ban these rounds.

If so, why?
If not, why not?

Why should anyone "give up" a right? Since guns stop, on average 1.6 million violent crimes a year.....and those bullets go into guns that are the least likely to be used in a crime......what is the point other than banning by small cuts......?

All the crimes stopped are violent? I won't get into how off the number is.

Oh bullshit.

There is no sensible reason to resist background checks between on a private gun sell either, yet...............

If so, why?
If not, why not?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but they are all rifle rounds correct? Rifles seem to be seldom used in crime. This all seems like a waste of time.

Yep waste of time.

Rifles in crimes are uncommon. When they are...its usually a 7.62 AK47 style rifle. Not AR15 5.56 style.

Hey shit for brains...my brother has a great woman, great life getting better every day and ME to deal with your kind. The only reason the progs want "sensible gun control" is to begin the confiscation process. And it's not the Military that should be a concern because most outfits would refuse shooting civilians as an illegal order. What should be of concern if the left's desire for an SS:

"We cannot continue to rely on our military in order to achieve the national security objectives we've set. We've got to have a civilian national security force that's just as powerful, just as strong, just as well-funded." -Barrack Hussein Obozo-

Read more: Blog Remember Obama s Civilian National Security Force
Follow us: @AmericanThinker on Twitter | AmericanThinker on Facebook

Oh bullshit.

There is no sensible reason to resist background checks between on a private gun sell either, yet...............

There are several reasons....

1) background checks do not stop the 8-9,000 gun murders by criminals each year, nor the mass shootings that ocurr each year......

2) the time, money and manpower to regulate private sales would be too much for law enforcement resources

3) ******it is against the law....already, for a felon to buy a gun even from a private seller

4)******it is against the law to sell a gun to a felon even if you are a private seller

5) you would have to register all guns to have the database to know who is selling what guns to who as private sellers....which would be insane and a step towards a future ban...

So....on top of background checks of any kind already being useless at stopping violent crime....it also leads to abuses against law abiding gun owners....

Oh bullshit.

I dont want any kind of record of my firearms in the hands of the government.
That only leads to confiscation.

There are several reasons....

1) background checks do not stop the 8-9,000 gun murders by criminals each year, nor the mass shootings that ocurr each year......

2) the time, money and manpower to regulate private sales would be too much for law enforcement resources

3) ******it is against the law....already, for a felon to buy a gun even from a private seller

4)******it is against the law to sell a gun to a felon even if you are a private seller

5) you would have to register all guns to have the database to know who is selling what guns to who as private sellers....which would be insane and a step towards a future ban...

So....on top of background checks of any kind already being useless at stopping violent crime....it also leads to abuses against law abiding gun owners....

Allow me to respond point by point.

1. who cares? No one said background checks would stop murders

2. What? Easy solution, you sell a gun to a person you and that person go to a gun store and pay them a small fee to run the background check. . Easy peasy.

3 and 4. How do you know the person is a felon without a background check?

5. You wouldn't have to do any such thing. We're not talking about going door to door to make sure people aren't sellng their guns, we're simply talkin about IF you get caught sellin one without a background check. Nothing more.

Forum List

Back