Baltimore Teacher Rips Students: They Defecate on Desks, Steal, Attack, Set Fires . .

Now what great results we see here relative to home training. What kind of parents raise this type of human? Its time the left accepts responsibility for the society they've created. It all starts in the home, then school, and now we reap the rewards of the parents investment

I used to tell my kids, when you're out and about, you represent the (family name) and that is something to be proud of.

I just fail to see that connection with these future wards of the state

-Geaux
------------------------

""I have taught in the Baltimore public school system for the past two decades. What we need is better students. We have many excellent teachers. I cannot count the number of students who have physically destroyed property in the schools.

"They have trashed brand new computers, destroyed exit signs, set multiple fires, destroyed many, many lockers, stolen teachers' school supplies, written their filth on the tops of classroom desks, defecated in the bathrooms and stairwells, assaulted teachers (beyond constantly telling them to perform certain impossible acts upon themselves) and refused to do any homework or class work.

"Need I go any further? I won't even bother addressing the other 'causes' you listed. Too inane. In summary, the problem seems to be a total disregard for life that exists not only in our crime-ridden city, but also in all of the major cities throughout the United States.

"So, go blame other root causes, but please leave our city police, prosecutors and teachers out of the finger wagging."

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/a-...rticle/2533752
Yes, I agree that it's primarily a parenting issue, but other factors certainly come into play. Please consider poverty, unemployment, gangs, exposure to hard drugs, alcoholism, and other social environment influences. No, I do not blame teachers or the police. I blame years of neglect and the building up of frustrations and depression.
Basically welfare, the liberal baby that caused this.

Now what great results we see here relative to home training. What kind of parents raise this type of human? Its time the left accepts responsibility for the society they've created. It all starts in the home, then school, and now we reap the rewards of the parents investment

I used to tell my kids, when you're out and about, you represent the (family name) and that is something to be proud of.

-Geaux
------------------------

""I have taught in the Baltimore public school system for the past two decades. What we need is better students. We have many excellent teachers. I cannot count the number of students who have physically destroyed property in the schools.

"They have trashed brand new computers, destroyed exit signs, set multiple fires, destroyed many, many lockers, stolen teachers' school supplies, written their filth on the tops of classroom desks, defecated in the bathrooms and stairwells, assaulted teachers (beyond constantly telling them to perform certain impossible acts upon themselves) and refused to do any homework or class work.

"Need I go any further? I won't even bother addressing the other 'causes' you listed. Too inane. In summary, the problem seems to be a total disregard for life that exists not only in our crime-ridden city, but also in all of the major cities throughout the United States.

"So, go blame other root causes, but please leave our city police, prosecutors and teachers out of the finger wagging."

Yes, I agree that it's primarily a parenting issue, but other factors certainly come into play. Please consider poverty, unemployment, gangs, exposure to hard drugs, alcoholism, and other social environment influences. No, I do not blame teachers or the police. I blame years of neglect and the building up of frustrations and depression.
I totally disagree. Welfare is a by-product, not the cause.

-Geaux
------------------------

Welfare destroyed families, taking the dad out of the mix. Making people dependent and irresponsible. Not to mention making the parent lazy. It is the cause.

-Geaux
------------------------

Welfare destroyed families, taking the dad out of the mix. Making people dependent and irresponsible. Not to mention making the parent lazy. It is the cause.
Many factors have contributed to poverty, unemployment, crime, single parent families, our prison population, deteriorating cities and neighborhoods, poor education, dependency, low self-esteem, morality issues, lost opportunities, racism, prejudices, the injustices in our judicial system, and many other social and economic issues. Welfare was, and is, an attempt to assist those less fortunate, our poor and needy, and give them food and shelter. It is NOT a cause, rather it's a by-product of many factors, some of which I have listed for you. Welfare came after many of the issues I have listed.

Most inner city teachers could tell similar stories

That was a weak comment.

Stay focused on Baltimore

The jewel of the democratic machine

-Geaux
Has nothing to do with Baltimore

All major cities have similar problems

This has everything to do about Baltimore hence the title there strawman

-Geaux
Are you attempting to assert that these problems are unique to Baltimore?

Obviously what parents these days do not understand is that being a parent at all makes them a teacher as well. Reading what's in the first message of this chat reminded me of what is said in the first Karate Kid film. Mr. Miyagi says to Daniel that there is no such thing as a bad student, just a bad teacher. "Teacher say, student do." he said.

God bless you always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

All that you mention is indeed part of their world as is the single (often addiction-addled) parent household. Responsibility of supporting 67% of America's black kids is often dumped on society as the "baby-daddy" shrugs and walks (or runs) away.

All that you mention is indeed part of their world as is the single (often addiction-addled) parent household. Responsibility of supporting 67% of America's black kids is often dumped on society as the "baby-daddy" shrugs and walks (or runs) away.
Yes, I agree, that's part of the problem. The problem is a combination of things that have developed over a very long period of time. We didn't reach this point over-night, and it wont be solved over-night. We can't focus on one or two elements of the root problems, without addressing the whole ball of wax. Social issues have changed, and will continue to change. Single parent families are not going away with fixing a couple of the problems. Poverty, drug addiction, crime, gangs, lack of proper education, lack of parental guidance, lack of opportunities, and other issues contribute to what we're seeing in our neighborhoods, communities, cities, and in this country.

We have to address self-supporting opportunities, better education, social programs that encourage our youth to excel and to be independent productive members of society, and monitor progress in order to continuously improve the process. We have to adjust our thinking in terms of the overall benefit to society as a whole, and to focus more on solutions that we do on an attitude of acceptance. It's a cop-out to continuously say that there's nothing we can do, and that racism, poverty, and crime are things that we must accept and live with. We may not be able to correct all of the problems and social ills, but we can do whatever it takes to come as close to reaching goals as is humanly possible. As I've always said and preached, "an honest effort is better than no effort at all".

I blame the fact that paddles are not used in schools anymore, and belts or switches are not used by parents.

Spare the rod, spoil the child. Seems the Bible got that one right.
These kids get in fights every day and regularly hear gunfire in their communities.......you think they are afraid of a paddle?

Yep, when the paddle is delivered BEFORE the gun. The gun would not be needed

-Geaux
These kids get beat their whole lives

Doesn't seem to work, they get accustomed to it

Not beat... If they had been disciplined at a young age AT HOME, they would not need a gun to commit crime.

IOW, they would have been taught the difference between right and wrong

-Geaux
Parents beat the shit out of them all the time....remember that Baltimore mother you were admiring last week
That's why her kids are not thugs. Her oldest daughter is in the police academy.

If you don't know what life can be like for teachers in the trenches of inner city schools go find HBOs documentary Hard Times at Douglass High. Douglass happens to be in Balto, but it's a microcosm of the up hill battles it can take just trying to get through to most of the so-called students.

Before I watched it I could not imagine such a school environment. It's mind boggling.

Bring back the orphanage and reform school. Start institutionalizing these young criminals.

Forum List

Back