automotive question

miketx

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2015
I have a 2003 Trailblazer 2wd 6 cylinder with over 200,000 miles on it. I rebuilt the transmission last year because the 3-4 clutch failed. I notice that in 4th gear with the torque converter clutch applied, at 70 mph the motor runs about 1900 rpm.

Now, I just purchased a 2003 envoy with the same motor but it is a 4wd, and only has 100k miles on it. It's in good condition but I wonder about the gearing. At 70 mph in 4th gear with the torque converter clutch applied, the motor runs about 2200 rpm. The trans is not slipping and the fluid is red without a burnt odor. Does anyone know if there is a slight gearing difference that may account for this?

I have a 2003 Trailblazer 2wd 6 cylinder with over 200,000 miles on it. I rebuilt the transmission last year because the 3-4 clutch failed. I notice that in 4th gear with the torque converter clutch applied, at 70 mph the motor runs about 1900 rpm.

Now, I just purchased a 2003 envoy with the same motor but it is a 4wd, and only has 100k miles on it. It's in good condition but I wonder about the gearing. At 70 mph in 4th gear with the torque converter clutch applied, the motor runs about 2200 rpm. The trans is not slipping and the fluid is red without a burnt odor. Does anyone know if there is a slight gearing difference that may account for this?

I think that it had the same transmission as my 2002 4WD blazer ..that pissed me off big time. It ran fine and great till I lost 3rd and 4th.

• Banned

I think that it had the same transmission as my 2002 4WD blazer ..that pissed me off big time. It ran fine and great till I lost 3rd and 4th.
It is, called a 4L60.

It is, called a 4L60.

That blazer was the first 4wd I bought ( it was used ) I never ever had a bad experience with a transmission before accept on a little Mazda pick up truck and the tranny was made by ford..

• Banned

It is, called a 4L60.

That blazer was the first 4wd I bought ( it was used ) I never ever had a bad experience with a transmission before accept on a little Mazda pick up trucks and the tranny was made by ford..
A4ld is what it was called. Pos trans.

It ran like a champ, till one day climbing a hill..

Put on the gas then nothing

It is, called a 4L60.

That blazer was the first 4wd I bought ( it was used ) I never ever had a bad experience with a transmission before accept on a little Mazda pick up truck and the tranny was made by ford..

Waaaay back when!!! I had a Ford ranger with a Mazda transmission....fucken trans failed on a regular basis.
In that case it was the synchronizers that failed.

• Banned
Being that it's a 4x4 it could have different final gearing.
Yeah, it must because the trans is not slipping and the converter clutch is working. I was just wondering if anyone knew for sure.

It is, called a 4L60.

Waaaay back when!!! I had a Ford ranger with a Mazda transmission....fucken trans failed on a regular basis.

Tell me about it I would burn up the clutch every damn 6 months...I rebuilt it 4 times till I had enough and let it sit by the side of the road and never reclaimed it...

Lol..

It ran like a champ, till one day climbing a hill..

Put on the gas then nothing
Strange. The same thing happened with My ex. Put on the gas but nothing happened. It still puzzles Me.

:disbelief:

It is, called a 4L60.

Tell me about it I would burn up the clutch every damn 6 months...I rebuilt it 4 times till I had enough and let it sit by the side of the road and never reclaimed it...

Lol..

Never really had a problem with the clutch but the synchronisers must have been made outta corn tortillas.

Sounds like the centrifugal regulator arm is not synchronized with the anti-rotation sensor, or you could be low on washer fluid.

upload_2018-2-6_17-28-48.png

Replaced many a clutch in my youth.
But it was mainly to put in a high performance one.
That always sucked with the extra weight of the transfer case which made it awkward to support as well.

I always hated that crap, I despised working on cars, now give me an outboard motor or a hydraulic pump....

Forum List

Back