Atlanta storm cluster is PROOF that government DOESN'T WORK

umm the upper east side rich folks blamed the new mayor by denying them snow plows. The NYC mass transit functioned fairly regularly.

In Ga, it was a different issue. It's the governor's duty to declare a snow/winter emergency.

Is that always the case? It seems there was a dfferent take on who was responsible for declaring an emergency before Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans.

No it proves people are idiots. What kind of moron would go out knowing there is a storm about to come down on them?

Because their private sector employers, the people who are supposedly going to take care of this mess, force them to go into work. They don't care about their employees enough to keep them at home when the weather is bad but they'll go ahead and clear the roads for us.

At least the OP realized what a poor idea this was and abandoned the thread.

Oh yes because they can't take care of themselves. I wonder how they handle all the other decisions.

Hey Mary should I drink and drive tonight?

I dunno did the mayor call and tell you it was ok?

When people's jobs are on the line because of threats from their employers, they will do what it takes to get to work even if their safety is a concern. Companies don't actually care about their employees.

Your original post was:

watched a rant on Morning Joe from Jon Stewart blaming the white Governor (R) of Georgia for the clusterfuck in Atlanta with no mention of the black Mayor (D) of Atlanta.

Was Governor Cuomo blasted by Jon Stewart when they had a similar situation in New York City? Or was the newly elected Mayor blamed? Just asking.
--

My response was you're comparing apples and oranges because CUOMO had no role in directing snow plows to, or away, from the upper east side.

Your original post was:

watched a rant on Morning Joe from Jon Stewart blaming the white Governor (R) of Georgia for the clusterfuck in Atlanta with no mention of the black Mayor (D) of Atlanta.

Was Governor Cuomo blasted by Jon Stewart when they had a similar situation in New York City? Or was the newly elected Mayor blamed? Just asking.
--

My response was you're comparing apples and oranges because CUOMO had no role in directing snow plows to, or away, from the upper east side.

Correct, so it was the Mayors job to clear the snow, not the Governor. That would be the same in Atlanta.

Your original post was:

--

Correct, so it was the Mayors job to clear the snow, not the Governor. That would be the same in Atlanta.

Generally streets are the job of the municipality, interstates go to the state and rural/unincorporated roads to the county. So there is probably plenty of blame to go around.

WTF is the other choice?

We pay money for our government to maintain roads, rock the roads and warn us of storms. So you're saying that our elected government shouldn't do these things? That we should put a unelected corporation into its place. WOW.

Warn? Everyone knew the storm was coming two days before it happened. They wer dumbasses plain and simple. And as far as maintaining roads it has nothing to do with that. You don't run plows at the beginning of a snowfall. And you can't for two inches unless you want to tear up the streets. You clear the bad areas and salt to take care of the ice that will form. If you're going to talk about something at least understand how it works.

Your original post was:

--

Generally streets are the job of the municipality, interstates go to the state and rural/unincorporated roads to the county. So there is probably plenty of blame to go around.

Agreed, and the Interstates were at a dead stop and so were most of the streets in the city of Atlanta. Kids sleeping on school buses and folks spending the night at Home Depot didn't need the Interstate to get home. The only point I tried to make is that the Republican Governor was blamed and the Democrat Mayor wasn't. And, the race card was a factor as well.

Last edited:
Atlanta storm cluster is PROOF that government DOESN'T WORK
Perfect example of how stupid citizens ignore the warnings given, and then blame the government.

Anyone watching this cluster mess in Atlanta? Oh, a little snow storm and it shuts down the whole city. Kids spending the night IN school buses. Thousands of abandoned cars on the highway, looking like a Walking Dead episode.

And the Atlanta government is helpless. The stupid police, lazy firemen, incompetent national guard, and idiot politicians, all making excuses.

Well, if they'd GET OUT OF THE WAY and stop taxing us, we could let the PRIVATE sector fix the mess. Corporations like Home Depot, Wal-Mart and dozens of private construction crews could have joined forces, prevented this mess, and fixed what little damage was done.

But OH NO, the mighy government steps in and says they'll protect us all, and fail of course.

Some construction crews from private business and supplies provided by Wal Mart, Lowes, etc, could've all had the preparation done BEFORE the storm, and then respond to problems as they occur.

Rand Paul is 100% right.
Government = FAILURE.

i was in Georgia in the early 80s when a ice storm hit

they just at the time seem prepared to handle

such a mess

but the duration is pretty short

they may have been better off

calling the day off before it hit

Your original post was:

--

I just watch the entire rant by Jon Stewart and will have to take back what I said about him. He did mock the Mayor as well as the Governor. I would apologize to Stewart if I had said this to him instead of about him. I should have known better than to rely on MSNBC and Morning 'what Republican do we ridicule today' Joe show for an objective report since they always show the Republican in a bad light.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back