Atlanta storm cluster is PROOF that government DOESN'T WORK

You want them to buy 500 salt trucks for a once every 3 year event...

No, I want taxes slashed, and let the private sector use all that saved cash to do all the shit that the government obviously cant.

Atlanta wouldn't need to buy ice trucks. The private companies could move resources from other parts of the country that they own them to help.

Whereas with GOVERNMENT, you don't see the city of Detroit or Boston sending ice trucks to help Atlanta, because governments don't help ANYONE. They hurt their own cities, and refuse to help others.

Wal-Mart and Lowes and private construction companies are nation wide, even global, so they have resources and people everywhere. So, with the money they'd save from slashed taxes they could pool that money into a "Civic Response Fund" that would do the things government does, only FAR FAR better.

But why would they do it?

What's in it for them?

This is one of the dumbest posts ever.

Why would those businesses want to be involved in snow and ice removal from roads that aren't theirs? Why would it be their responsibility? They have their parking lots to handle, and that's it. And why would the city of Atlanta be expected to get through this like they were St Paul MN? Give them a break. They aren't used to it. They aren't gonna waste tax dollars on plows and salt for these storms. If this happened where I live, people would be fired over it, but down there, what are they supposed to do?

You want them to buy 500 salt trucks for a once every 3 year event...

No, I want taxes slashed, and let the private sector use all that saved cash to do all the shit that the government obviously cant.

Atlanta wouldn't need to buy ice trucks. The private companies could move resources from other parts of the country that they own them to help.

Whereas with GOVERNMENT, you don't see the city of Detroit or Boston sending ice trucks to help Atlanta, because governments don't help ANYONE. They hurt their own cities, and refuse to help others.

Wal-Mart and Lowes and private construction companies are nation wide, even global, so they have resources and people everywhere. So, with the money they'd save from slashed taxes they could pool that money into a "Civic Response Fund" that would do the things government does, only FAR FAR better.

Have you an example of this happening anywhere in the world that you can point us to?

No it proves people are idiots. What kind of moron would go out knowing there is a storm about to come down on them?

You're too stupid to be one person. No company would volunltarily take money out of profits to create an emergency fund. If they did, the shareholders would fire the Board of Directors and rightfully so. The money saved from slashed taxes would go straight into profits and stay there.

Your every post on how things could be handled differently shows a complete lack of understanding on how things work. Other cities can't be sharing their snow removal equipment because they might need it before it can be returned. It would take a day just to drive it there, and by then, the crisis is over with.

To those of us who live in areas where we have a real winter, we are laughing our asses off at the idea of Atlanta being brought to its knees by 2 inches of snow. We don't even get out the shovels for two inches of snow. We just take a broom out to the front porch and whisk it away. It certainly wouldn't prevent people from getting to work, nor would the highways be a mess.

All of Canada is still laughing at Toronto because they called in the army to deal with snow in 1999. Toronto had three feet of snow to deal with, which is 34 inches more than it took to shut down the City of Atlanta.

No it proves people are idiots. What kind of moron would go out knowing there is a storm about to come down on them?

Because their private sector employers, the people who are supposedly going to take care of this mess, force them to go into work. They don't care about their employees enough to keep them at home when the weather is bad but they'll go ahead and clear the roads for us.

At least the OP realized what a poor idea this was and abandoned the thread.

snowplow2.jpg

There they are again, those damned libtards.

More of their government interference on the free market .

Will they never stop oppressing us with these unwanted services?

:eusa_whistle:

Because their private sector employers, the people who are supposedly going to take care of this mess, force them to go into work. They don't care about their employees enough to keep them at home when the weather is bad but they'll go ahead and clear the roads for us.

At least the OP realized what a poor idea this was and abandoned the thread.

Oh yes because they can't take care of themselves. I wonder how they handle all the other decisions.

Hey Mary should I drink and drive tonight?

I dunno did the mayor call and tell you it was ok?

It's interesting that the OP was govt doesn't work, yet the criticisms and mea culpa seems to be that govt should have called a snow day early, and urged employers to keep non essential staff home.

WTF is the other choice?

We pay money for our government to maintain roads, rock the roads and warn us of storms. So you're saying that our elected government shouldn't do these things? That we should put a unelected corporation into its place. WOW.

WTF is the other choice?

We pay money for our government to maintain roads, rock the roads and warn us of storms. So you're saying that our elected government shouldn't do these things? That we should put a unelected corporation into its place. WOW.

What's your avatar of?

WTF is the other choice?

What's your avatar of?

A hurricane. lol

Do you really think your private corporation is going to come to your aid after that storm?

WTF is the other choice?

What's your avatar of?

A hurricane. lol

Do you really think your private corporation is going to come to your aid after that storm?

I realize it's a hurricane, but I thought it might be one I knew! LOL hey, my post was about the op. The whole thing's stupid. The governor and mayor should have called a snow day early on, just in case, and urged everyone to keep non-essential people at home. Of couse govt's the only way to maintain roads. Only nutty libertarians think otherwise.

Anyone watching this cluster mess in Atlanta? Oh, a little snow storm and it shuts down the whole city. Kids spending the night IN school buses. Thousands of abandoned cars on the highway, looking like a Walking Dead episode.

And the Atlanta government is helpless. The stupid police, lazy firemen, incompetent national guard, and idiot politicians, all making excuses.

Well, if they'd GET OUT OF THE WAY and stop taxing us, we could let the PRIVATE sector fix the mess. Corporations like Home Depot, Wal-Mart and dozens of private construction crews could have joined forces, prevented this mess, and fixed what little damage was done.

But OH NO, the mighy government steps in and says they'll protect us all, and fail of course.

Some construction crews from private business and supplies provided by Wal Mart, Lowes, etc, could've all had the preparation done BEFORE the storm, and then respond to problems as they occur.

Rand Paul is 100% right.
Government = FAILURE.

Complete idiocy. Yes, sometimes the government makes mistakes (so do private businesses and so do all people), but more often then not, the government gets it right. I was in Miami after Hurricane Andrew and I witnessed first hand how the government, local, state, and federal, stepped up and saved lives and maintained some semblance of order amid the chaos.

Just imagine where you'd be without law enforcement, which are government run agencies; where you'd be without the courts, an arm of the government; where you'd be without the military, also maintained by the government.

Even if the government made mistakes in Atlanta, that is not proof that government equals failure.

This storm was a little different in that, I think, the weather predictions did give Atl pretty good odds of having roads turn to glass. Personally, where I am, it was originally predicted we'd get very little preciptiation, and we ended up with an inch or so, which given the unusually cold weather, proved disasterous. I can count the times when over the last 25 years it didn't get above 25degrees for 72 hours on one hand. The cold temps were forecast.

Here, all the schools were closed while Atl didn't close them.

Who's gonna pay for it?

I watched a rant on Morning Joe from Jon Stewart blaming the white Governor (R) of Georgia for the clusterfuck in Atlanta with no mention of the black Mayor (D) of Atlanta.

Was Governor Cuomo blasted by Jon Stewart when they had a similar situation in New York City? Or was the newly elected Mayor blamed? Just asking.

Look, government is not perfect. They make mistakes all the time; however, anarchy is far worse. Only God is perfect. Man has been messing up since Adam.

umm the upper east side rich folks blamed the new mayor by denying them snow plows. The NYC mass transit functioned fairly regularly.

In Ga, it was a different issue. It's the governor's duty to declare a snow/winter emergency.

Forum List

Back