At DNC The Lion Still Roars!

Glori.B

Born Free
Apr 24, 2008
u.s.a.
Live From Denver: Let The Convention Begin

The Democrats kicked off their convention today, hoping that they could inspire party unity and heal divisions from their long and bruising primary battle. Follow tonight’s events, including the tribute to Senator Edward M. Kennedy and a speech by Michelle Obama.

9:30 p.m. | Senator Kennedy Takes the Stage: Senator Kennedy comes on stage, walking, with his wife. He’s lost some of his hair.
(Photo: Brendan Smialowski for The New York Times)

After an extended standing ovation, Senator Kennedy begins: “My fellow Democrats, my fellow Americans, it is so wonderful to be here. And nothing, nothing is going to keep me away from this special gathering tonight. I have come here tonight to stand with you, to change America, to restore its future, to rise to our best ideals and to elect Barack Obama president of the United States. As I look ahead, I am strengthened by family and friendship.”

He speaks of Mr. Obama, and pledges “that I will be there next January on the floor of the United States Senate when we begin the next Congress.” This, he says, is a “season of hope,” and he returns to his signature issue, vowing that every American will soon have decent, quality health care.

He smiles throughout, occasionally adjusting his round glasses, and concludes: “The hope rises again and the dream lives on.” The crowd chants, “Teddy! Teddy!”

A stool had been placed behind the podium if needed it to lean on; now Vicky comes to lead him off stage, as “Still the One” rises over the sound system. Various Kennedys and others flood the stage, with hugs and grins all around. He waves away attempts to help him off.

This was by far the most gripping segment of the convention so far.

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/08/25/live-from-denver-let-the-convention-begin/

Last edited:
Caroline Kennedy Addresses Democratic National Convention

Last update: 7:51 p.m. EDT Aug. 25, 2008
DENVER, Aug 25, 2008 /PRNewswire-USNewswire via COMTEX/ -- Excerpts from Remarks as Prepared for Delivery
The following are excerpts from remarks as prepared for delivery, by Caroline Kennedy at the Democratic National Convention on Monday, August 25, 2008:
"I am here tonight to pay tribute to two men who have changed my life, and the life of this country - Barack Obama, and Edward M. Kennedy. Their stories are very different, but they share a commitment to the timeless American ideals of justice and fairness, service and sacrifice, faith and family. Leaders like them come along rarely. But once or twice in a lifetime, they come along just when we need them the most.
"I have never had someone inspire me the way people tell me my father inspired them - but I do now. And I know someone else who's been inspired all over again by Senator Obama.
"In our family, he'll always be known as Uncle Teddy. More than any senator of his generation, or perhaps any generation, Teddy has made life better for people in this country and around the world. For 46 years, he has been so much more than just a Senator for the people of Massachusetts, he's been a Senator for all who believe in a dream that's never died."
About the DNCC:
The 2008 Democratic National Convention Committee is the official arm of the Democratic National Committee responsible for planning and organizing the 2008 Democratic National Convention in Denver. Democratic National Convention - Official Site of the 2008 Convention in Denver
Paid for by 2008 Democratic National Convention Committee, Inc. Not authorized by any candidate or candidate's committee.
SOURCE 2008 Democratic National Convention Committee

Excerpts: Caroline Kennedy Addresses Democratic National Convention - MarketWatch

The Democrats kicked off their convention today, hoping that they could inspire party unity and heal divisions from their long and bruising primary battle. Follow tonight’s events, including the tribute to Senator Edward M. Kennedy and a speech by Michelle Obama.

9:30 p.m. | Senator Kennedy Takes the Stage: Senator Kennedy comes on stage, walking, with his wife. He’s lost some of his hair.

After an extended standing ovation, Senator Kennedy begins: “My fellow Democrats, my fellow Americans, it is so wonderful to be here. And nothing, nothing is going to keep me away from this special gathering tonight. I have come here tonight to stand with you, to change America, to restore its future, to rise to our best ideals and to elect Barack Obama president of the United States. As I look ahead, I am strengthened by family and friendship.”

He speaks of Mr. Obama, and pledges “that I will be there next January on the floor of the United States Senate when we begin the next Congress.” This, he says, is a “season of hope,” and he returns to his signature issue, vowing that every American will soon have decent, quality health care.

He smiles throughout, occasionally adjusting his round glasses, and concludes: “The hope rises again and the dream lives on.” The crowd chants, “Teddy! Teddy!”

A stool had been placed behind the podium if needed it to lean on; now Vicky comes to lead him off stage, as “Still the One” rises over the sound system. Various Kennedys and others flood the stage, with hugs and grins all around. He waves away attempts to help him off.

Live From Denver: Let The Convention Begin - The Caucus Blog - NYTimes.com

I hope someday Edward can find peace with the death of his brothers Bobby and John.:eusa_whistle:

Well he certainly didn't have much competition---:lol:

Yada yada yada--Mcain is VERY VERY WRONG----cmon audience--follow the bouncing ball and say it with me--McCain is VERY VERY WRONG. How embarassing.

yada yada?

kennedy didn't even mention mccain's name, silly.
talk about embarassing! :tongue:

the speech: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCNPMzVFpg8]YouTube - 2008 DNC: Ted Kennedy 'New Hope' ... 'The Cause Of My Life'[/ame]

[YOUTUBE]lCNPMzVFpg8[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
Well .... if nothing else Michele Obama should have shown her how to speak. I thought her speech was very, very good! :thup:

of course her speech was good, she has had coaching from 0bama on how to read a tele-prompter. if i had his coaching, i could deliver a good speech as well.

of course her speech was good, she has had coaching from 0bama on how to read a tele-prompter. if i had his coaching, i could deliver a good speech as well.

Yes, I'm sure nobody at the Republican Convention will be speaking from a tele-prompter. :doubt:

Forum List

Back