At 80 years old, I won't be affected by the...“follow the science” crowd but my granddaughter will have a life of shortages

Cuba's roads and big cigies are an example of what is possible and what is needed for America.

Mass transit and vehicle ride sharing has filled their needs, along with government owned cars. It's not a desirable change for Americans but it's likely necessary if humanity survives until 2050?

You are ridiculous! If you believe what you are spouting, then go park your rearend in China, where they build coal fired energy plants at least once a week.

Can't do it? Scared to death to try? Then you are full of bull! Who the hell are you to demand we put our lives in harms way as we know it to try and save you and yours; when you won't even try and save your self? YOU are just trying to take the path of least political resistance by using the system. In no way are you attacking the real problem, because you are shivering in your boots.

A climate warrior? Just like most, you are a tool, and a phony!

You are ridiculous! If you believe what you are spouting, then go park your rearend in China, where they build coal fired energy plants at least once a week.

Can't do it? Scared to death to try? Then you are full of bull! Who the hell are you to demand we put our lives in harms way as we know it to try and save you and yours; when you won't even try and save your self? YOU are just trying to take the path of least political resistance by using the system. In no way are you attacking the real problem, because you are shivering in your boots.

Cubas cars are mostly from 50s and 60s

AGAIN who are you to make such a dumb ass comment like:"cease to exist or will be made of, or replaced by enviro friendly materials"?
What are your credentials to make such an authoritative statement? How do YOU know that the first 10 in Column A of this chart will cease or replaced?
View attachment 775294
Who am I?
Who are you?

Most of the 10 have been partially replaced or fully replaced with enviro friendly alternatives. And the challenge isn't even being accepted as necessary yet. A few maybe won't be replaced. I wrote 'qualified'.

If you're going to act like a pissy and angry spammer, we'll be concluding this conversation right now.

You crazy extremists are always offered a choice of acting like grownups, before being shut off from my discussions.

China can claim their right to catch up. You'll have to deal with that, because I'm not..

Are you talking about the chances of the world meeting the challenge? If so then you're going to have to make your case on that.

I'm talking about something else, that you have lost track of. Get back to me with a polite and grownup attitude, or we're finished. I've already extended more courtesy of my time to you than any of ya'all deserve!

China can claim their right to catch up. You'll have to deal with that, because I'm not..

Are you talking about the chances of the world meeting the challenge? If so then you're going to have to make your case on that.

I'm talking about something else, that you have lost track of. Get back to me with a polite and grownup attitude, or we're finished. I've already extended more courtesy of my time to you than any of ya'all deserve!

So, you are claiming a country who extends no rights to anyone, should be extended rights? OK, gotcha, and know where you are coming from, lol!

So, you are claiming a country who extends no rights to anyone, should be extended rights? OK, gotcha, and know where you are coming from, lol!

I make special exceptions for China on account of they should be totally supported on their peaceful multinational approach of respect for all.

Archie Bunker is dead.

I make special exceptions for China on account of they should be totally supported on their peaceful multinational approach of respect for all.

Archie Bunker is dead.

If you aren't being funny, I don't want to talk to you either!

Don't worry about the future, according to Dems we'll all be dead from climate change.
No, that's not what the Dems or anybody else is saying. Don't spam the thread with exaggerations!

Mainstream science is saying that there will be very large negative consequences that will cost thousands or perhaps millions of lives.

Who am I?
Who are you?

Most of the 10 have been partially replaced or fully replaced with enviro friendly alternatives. And the challenge isn't even being accepted as necessary yet. A few maybe won't be replaced. I wrote 'qualified'.

If you're going to act like a pissy and angry spammer, we'll be concluding this conversation right now.

You crazy extremists are always offered a choice of acting like grownups, before being shut off from my discussions.
The reason I ask simply Who are you is YOU provide NOTHING in the way of substantiation of your comments! Zero. So why should I believe a single word you write because it is ALL YOUR perceptions! Nothing to validate. Remember these are LINKS I've provided to back up my assumptions!

228,200,000 American drivers per this source>>https://www.thezebra.com/resources/driving/average-miles-driven-per-year/
Total miles by 90% of 228,200,000 drivers averaging 14,263 miles is 2,929,334,940,000 miles.
228,200,000 Total Drivers Total number of licensed drivers in the U.S. by state | Statista
205,380,000 Total drivers of ElectricVehicles (Evs) at Scientific American's statement of 90%!
2022 Tesla Model 3 RWD: 25 kWh/100 miles (.25kWh per mile)! Source1 :Electric truck - Wikipedia
0.25 kWh EV car to go 1 mile. source2: Average Electric Car kWh Per Mile [Results From 231 EVs]
4,165,030,000,000 kWh electricity generated in USA today in 2021
source: Electricity generation, capacity, and sales in the United States - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)

There are 11,070 total power plants in USA Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)
4,165,030,000,000 kWh divided by 11,070 total power plants in usa equals 376,244,806 kWh per plant per year.

205,380,000 Americans drive a total of 2,929,334,940,000 miles will use .25 kWh/mile .. so if you
multiple 14,263 miles by .25 kWh/ mile...or total of 3,566 kWh per driver per year X 205,380,000 drivers or

Now these are NOT by FACTS!
So if you can't act like an adult and provide the proofs like I've done to substantiate MY comments... keep reading my
contributions as they ARE FACTUAL... NOT my opinions! Not my guesses!

The reason I ask simply Who are you is YOU provide NOTHING in the way of substantiation of your comments! Zero. So why should I believe a single word you write because it is ALL YOUR perceptions! Nothing to validate. Remember these are LINKS I've provided to back up my assumptions!
Shut up for dog's sake. I need you to convey the Archie Bunker aspect of life in America. It's going to remain my perceptions fwiw. My effectiveness doesn't require links.

"Follow the science" has been used by the left to defend its Covid policies but it is applicable to this statement by Scientific American...
in their headline story from Ninety Percent of U.S. Cars Must Be Electric by 2050 to Meet Climate Goals

Ninety Percent of U.S. Cars Must Be Electric by 2050 to Meet Climate Goals​

But here are two GLARING issues that Scientific American...observed as.... "Its articles, solidly based on scholarly research, well written, and carefully edited, are accompanied by definitions of scientific terms and by illustrations."
This magazine that has been around since 1845 has certainly missed the point with this article and here is why!
1) Scientific American in stating 90% of cars must be electric by 2050... they totally forget TRUCKS!
2) But the MOST egregious error of this prestigious respected magazine is this: where will the 12,461,525,806,512 additional kWh come from if 90.0% of all current cars/trucks are (EVs) by 2050?
Today the total electricity generated by power plants in 2021, is 4,165,030,000,000kWh.
Scientific American didn't follow the science when they state 90% of cars(only by the way) are EVs by 2050 by explaining where the nearly Three times (300%) more
electricity is going to come from?
Today the average current power plant of the 11,070 total power plants in usa Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) generates 376,244,806 kWh per year.
Simple math which Scientific American, Biden, and all the other grossly uniformed advocates of EVs evidently can't do!
  • Divide the total electricity needed to power the 90% of cars are EVs by the average power plant generation: 11,717,339,760,000 kWh /376,244,806kWh or a total of NEW power plants: 31,143 ! Please check the math folks.
  • The average EV gets about .25 kWh per mile. Average Electric Car kWh Per Mile [Results From 231 EVs]
  • The Average American drives 14,263 miles/ year thus using 57,052 kWh per driver. https://www.thezebra.com/resources/driving/average-miles-driven-per-year/
  • With approximately 205,380,000 Americans driving a total of 2,929,334,940,000 miles using 57,052 kWh each or total kWh needed:11,717,339,760,000 kWh.
  • So simple math states if we have 205,380,000 drivers (of the 228,200,000 total American drivers) driving EVs we will need 31,143 more generating plants.
So I won't have this issue but my granddaughter's generation will have blackouts on a daily basis.
Remember California is requiring that all NEW cars sold in 2035 be EVs.... all the while???
There were 25,281 blackout events in 2019, a 23% increase from 20,598 in 2018

THINK folks... why haven't we heard about this???

Given what's going on ... science is sketchy

Shut up for dog's sake. I need you to convey the Archie Bunker aspect of life in America. It's going to remain my perceptions fwiw. My effectiveness doesn't require links.
Of course not as people with “god personification “ don’t need validation. Us Archie bunker types are realist not people so pompous they really believe they know it all.

---

How much electricity would it take to power all cars if they were EVs?

In 2019, drivers across the US consumed roughly 3.4 billion barrels, or 142.8 billion gallons, of motor gasoline.
According to the EPA, every gallon of gasoline is equivalent to 33.7 kilowatt-hours (kWh) of electricity. Based on these metrics, an equivalent of approximately 4,800 billion kWh was used to fuel gasoline vehicles over that year.
According to the Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy, EVs are roughly two and a half to six times more efficient using energy from the power grid than conventional cars are using gasoline. Given that comparison, it would take roughly 800 to 1,900 billion kWh of electricity to power all vehicles if they were EVs.
The US used about 4,130 billion kWh of electricity in 2019. This means if all cars were EVs that year, the US would have consumed 20-50% more electricity.
---

So, a chicken little OP.

Total miles by 90% of 228,200,000 drivers averaging 14,263 miles is 2,929,334,940,000 miles.
There's probably an apples vs. oranges fallacy in there, as it's unlikely the average is supposed to apply to every single human with a drivers license.

The better stats

However, the gasoline use data is better, because it's more direct. Convert this much gasoline to electric power, end of calculations.

US vehicle miles for passenger cars: 1.4 trillion. So 90%, 1.3 trillion.

0.35 KwH per mile for electric cars, giving 450 billion KwH needed.

That's about one-third of current grid output.

Charge cars mainly at night, much of the problem is solved.

I think the CO mainly screwed up by including truck miles, which were not necessary for the SA projection. He also understated efficiency, according to his own link.

That's the science. Follow it.
Well there's that academic calculation and the obvious as well. When you drive to work in the morning or home in the evening, I don't know about you but I see about (anecdotal) 1 EV for every 20-25 non EVs. Now you can't always tell an EV just by looking. Also there are hybrids who utilize both power--which I think is the way to go personally. So lets say 1 out of every 25 cars or 4%. I live in suburban Phoenix and whatever our power grid demand is...its pretty high in the summer because every square inch of the city is air conditioned. Now keep in mind the EV came about at the same time that 50" TVs came about (I have 2 of them in my condo), cell phones, Keurigs, and a thousand other new gadgets that get plugged into someone's house. We've gone crazy with outdoor lighting in the neighborhoods. We use a lot of power out here. And with 4% of the cars being EV along with the onslaught of all of the other gizmos...we have had to build precisely zero new power plants.

Yet he wants you to believe that we'll now need 15,000 new ones in the next 27 years.

I think senility has kicked in and opened a malt shop.

There's probably an apples vs. oranges fallacy in there, as it's unlikely the average is supposed to apply to every single human with a drivers license.

The better stats

However, the gasoline use data is better, because it's more direct. Convert this much gasoline to electric power, end of calculations.
Ok let's try this again:
228,200,000 American drivers per this source>>https://www.thezebra.com/resources/driving/average-miles-driven-per-year/
As a collective, American drivers cover 3.2 trillion miles each year,

2022 Tesla Model 3 RWD: 25 kWh/100 miles (.25kWh per mile)! Source1 :Electric truck - Wikipedia

So if the average EV uses .25 kWh per mile, then 3,200,000,000,000 miles multiple by .25 kWh per mile equals : 800,000,000,000 kWh.
FACT: today 4,165,030,000,000 kWh electricity generated in USA today in 2021
source: Electricity generation, capacity, and sales in the United States - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)
FACT there are 11,070 total power plants in usa Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)
FACT dividing 4.165 Trillion kWh generated in the USA by 11,070 power plants means an average of 376,244,805 kWh per plant.
Dividing 800,000,000,000 kWh used to power JUST EVs will require 2,126 MORE electric generating plants!
Where will these 2,126 plants come from?
An exclusive analysis by USA TODAY finds that across the United States there are as many as 177 natural gas power plants currently planned, under construction or announced.
Source:As Earth faces climate catastrophe, US set to open nearly 200 power plants

Well there's that academic calculation and the obvious as well. When you drive to work in the morning or home in the evening, I don't know about you but I see about (anecdotal) 1 EV for every 20-25 non EVs. Now you can't always tell an EV just by looking. Also there are hybrids who utilize both power--which I think is the way to go personally. So lets say 1 out of every 25 cars or 4%. I live in suburban Phoenix and whatever our power grid demand is...its pretty high in the summer because every square inch of the city is air conditioned. Now keep in mind the EV came about at the same time that 50" TVs came about (I have 2 of them in my condo), cell phones, Keurigs, and a thousand other new gadgets that get plugged into someone's house. We've gone crazy with outdoor lighting in the neighborhoods. We use a lot of power out here. And with 4% of the cars being EV along with the onslaught of all of the other gizmos...we have had to build precisely zero new power plants.

Yet he wants you to believe that we'll now need 15,000 new ones in the next 27 years.

I think senility has kicked in and opened a malt shop.

• Jul 8, 2021 Updated Aug 15, 2022
Electric customers in Arizona and across the West could face a higher risk of blackouts and increased energy costs, after a ruling allowing California’s main grid operator to limit some electric power exports to other states, Arizona utilities and regulators say.
The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission recently approved a plan by the California Independent System Operator, or CAISO, to give in-state power transfers priority over some interstate power exports through its system, when demand for power is high and supplies are tight.
The plan to favor in-state power deliveries over some interstate sales was proposed in the wake of a regionwide heat wave last August that prompted CAISO to impose rolling blackouts for two days to stave off a larger system collapse.

Driving will become a rich man's privilege. Everyone else will have to take the bus.

Big giant electric busses that will have to recharge 23 out of 24 hours a day, and carry about 5% of the number of forced commuters. By the time the tax base to pay for them is destroyed, we will be regressed to running those 2 cycle three wheelers they use in Asia. Even electric bikes are unaffordable; ever price those things? lol commies are narcissists and have no idea what they're doing.

Forum List

Back