Asteroid the size of the Great Pyramid of Giza to fly (safely) by Earth Sunday

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
An asteroid about as long as the Great Pyramid of Giza is tall will make a "close" approach with Earth on Sunday (July 25), according to NASA calculations.

On its closest approach, the near-Earth asteroid, called 2008 GO20, will swing within 2.8 million miles (4.5 million kilometers) of our blue marble. It will be trekking at a whopping 18,000 mph (nearly 29,000 km/h), according to news reports.

I can't even imagine that speed.

An asteroid about as long as the Great Pyramid of Giza is tall will make a "close" approach with Earth on Sunday (July 25), according to NASA calculations.

On its closest approach, the near-Earth asteroid, called 2008 GO20, will swing within 2.8 million miles (4.5 million kilometers) of our blue marble. It will be trekking at a whopping 18,000 mph (nearly 29,000 km/h), according to news reports.

We have rockets that have gone 36,000 mph

Speed of sound is 761 mph
Speed of light is 186,282 mph

I'd hate to see something that large on a collision course with earth. With our current leadership in the nations, we'd all pretty much be screwed. They might act like they were trying to nudge it out of the way but in reality, most of them would be rushing their own survival bunkers to completion and making plans for what comes after such an event.

Also here, day and a half prior (Friday AM) post #24 of this thread;

Forum List

Back