As Texas deep freeze subsides, some households now face electricity bills as high as $10,000

Fort Fun Indiana

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2017

Unacceptable! What kind of country are we, that we toss our citizens to the wolves? Why do we suck so bad? Cold snap? Tough , go bankrupt, that's your problem.

Broke your leg and got an infection? Tough, go bankrupt.

Homeless? Tough. Just, ya know, go somewhere we can't SEE you. K, thx

Mentally ill? Tough luck! If you really crash, we have prisons where we can keep you. Again, mostly for the purposes of not having to see you.

WTF?
How do you end up with 10k electric bills when you have no power?
Our E bill in the hottest part of the year runs $1400 hundred. Thats with three central air units and power to run the pool pump.
I call bullshit.
It's the people who have power that are getting bills for power.

WTF?
Our E bill in the hottest part of the year runs $1400 hundred. Thats with three central air units and power to run the pool pump.
I call bullshit.

I lost power for 12 hours.
So whats my bill going to be.

Unacceptable! What kind of country are we, that we toss our citizens to the wolves? Why do we suck so bad? Cold snap? Tough , go bankrupt, that's your problem.

Mentally ill? Tough luck! If you really crash, we have prisons where we can keep you. Again, mostly for the purposes of not having to see you.
Looks to me, as if electrification is to big a problem to trust to private enterprise to look after the best interest of the stake holders. Nothing against free enterprise. I was a business major, spending over half my life in the private sector, trying to make a profit, but their situation down in Texas is ridiculous.

WTF?
I call bullshit.

Can't believe you're dumb enough to fall for this shit.
So you think my power bill is going to be say 6k since I only lost power for 12 hours?
Holy Fuck are you an idiot!!!!!!

This is a corruption of capitalism. Or is that redundant?
It is none of the above. This is just capitalism. It's not corrupt, or evil, or anything at all but an algorithm. A shark is not "corrupt" when it eats your leg. It's just being a shark, which has been a very successful model for millions of years. Sharks are useful and necessary. But I would not recommend letting 10 of them run wild, unchecked, in the fish display at the Shedd Aquarium. A few might be fine.

Point being, the shark is just an algorithm. It does what it does.

WTF?
I call bullshit.

I lost power for 12 hours.
So whats my bill going to be.
I don't know.

Oh I know....
Nothing close to your idiotic estimations.

Unfortunately, it’s impossible to respond to your post without making it political…

But is indeed about politics.

It’s about failed, wrongheaded political, social, and economic conservative dogma; the idiotic, baseless notion that to ensure Americans have a place to live, are able to adequately heat their homes, and have access to affordable healthcare without going bankrupt acts as a ‘disincentive’; conservativism is fundamentally Social Darwinism.

An example of this is Republicans’ unwarranted opposition to the stimulus package currently making its way through Congress, the right’s groundless claim that increased benefits for unemployed Americans would “discourage people from looking for work,” an ‘argument’ as ridiculous as it is false.

Looks to me, as if electrification is to big a problem to trust to private enterprise to look after the best interest of the stake holders.
True, of course, to some degree or another. We already admit this in our legal code. There is some regulation. "Cheap" energy is pretty much the basis of our entire economy and standard of living. We trust private enterprise so little that we have a great big military in no small part dedicated to securing cheap energy for us.

Looks to me, as if electrification is to big a problem to trust to private enterprise to look after the best interest of the stake holders.
True, of course, to some degree or another. We already admit this in our legal code. There is some regulation. "Cheap" energy is pretty much the basis of our entire economy and standard of living. We trust private enterprise so little that we have a great big military in no small part dedicated to securing cheap energy for us.
Republicans never saw a regulation or limitation on profit that benefited society. To them, life is like a sh#t sandwich, the more bread ya got, the less sh#t you have to eat and they're fine with that, without limitation in all things, no matter who or how many are brought to harm. It's a virtue with them and they will virtue you to death if there is a profit in it.

Last edited:
WTF?
I call bullshit.
Somebody's gotta pay for all.that maintenance they haven't been doing for the last decade or two

WTF?
I call bullshit.
Somebody's gotta pay for all.that maintenance they haven't been doing for the last decade or two

Prove it.

That better not be the case. I was lucky enough to keep my power and water unlike many of my friends and neighbors who I put up at my house for the week. I consumed electricity but I had multiple households who had no power or water staying with me. If I get a insanely high electric bill I am going to wipe my ass with it and return to sender.

This is a corruption of capitalism. Or is that redundant?
It is none of the above. This is just capitalism. It's not corrupt, or evil, or anything at all but an algorithm. A shark is not "corrupt" when it eats your leg. It's just being a shark, which has been a very successful model for millions of years. Sharks are useful and necessary. But I would not recommend letting 10 of them run wild, unchecked, in the fish display at the Shedd Aquarium. A few might be fine.

Point being, the shark is just an algorithm. It does what it does.

This is pure capitalism and consumers get screwed when that happens. Texas has no regulations to protect consumers from being gouged. It shows how far to the right Texas has gone. Worth noting that Abbott has gotten more money from the energy industry than any Texas governor in history. Pure corruption.

WTF?
I call bullshit.

Prove it.
Prove what? That maintenance wasn't done? Look at last week. That somebody's gotta pay for it? That shit don't happen for free.

Forum List

Back