As Poll Numbers Sink, Dems Waste More Time

red states rule

May 30, 2006
As they watch their poll numbers sink, Dems wasted more time bashing oil companies

While troops are in harms way, Dems can think of nothing better to do with their time then to pass bill that would make price gouging by gas stations and oil companies a federal crime.

Given the fact there is not gouging (except by the governemnt in the form of taxes) Dems are once again showing their contempt for profitable companies

House OKs bill to curb gas gouging
By Patrice Hill
THE WASHINGTON TIMES
May 24, 2007

The House yesterday passed a bill that would make price gouging by gas stations and oil companies a federal crime as prices at the pump surpassed a 1981 record reached at the height of the Iranian oil crisis. The White House, which has threatened to veto the bill, warned the legislation amounts to price controls and would lead to gas shortages and lines like in the 1970s.
The cross over the threshold of $3.23 a gallon reported by GasBuddy.com equals the inflation-adjusted record high for gas prices and heralds a new era of high energy prices and scarcity of fuel as growing demand in China, India and the U.S. collides with scarce new sources of oil and sluggish increases in gasoline production worldwide. Economists say the House bill will not help to ease those shortages or bring down high prices.
Business groups said the bill would be difficult to enforce and would set a dangerous precedent by opening the floodgates to frivolous lawsuits, further driving away any hopes of increased energy production that would take the pressure off prices.
"This is a first step in addressing the outrageous prices we are seeing at the gas pump," said bill sponsor Rep. Bart Stupak, Michigan Democrat. Prices in recent years have peaked at about the Memorial Day start of the summer driving season, but they could climb higher this year if hurricanes or conflicts in the Middle East or Nigeria disrupt supplies.
"This bill is all bark and no bite, and will do nothing to lower gas prices," said House Minority Leader John A. Boehner, Ohio Republican. "No American likes paying high prices at the pump. ... This bill could make the pain felt by consumers at the pump considerably worse."
The supply pressures that have driven up gas prices this year eased somewhat yesterday as the Energy Information Administration reported an increase in output at U.S. refineries and a 1.5 million-barrel increase in gasoline stocks, which are about 7 percent below average for this time of year. That helped to reduce wholesale gas prices, though demand for gas remained strong, growing at a 1.2 percent pace.
In coming years, Americans face sharply higher prices for energy as they compete with burgeoning demand for gasoline to power cars in emerging giants such as China, India and Russia. A separate report from the energy agency Monday said energy demand worldwide will soar 57 percent by 2030. To keep pace with that demand, production of oil would have to grow more than 40 percent to 118 million barrels a day.
But because of dwindling reserves and production of petroleum, the report projects that other liquid fuels such as biodiesel and liquefied coal will meet about one-quarter of the increased demand. Economists say oil and gasoline prices will have to rise significantly higher for that to happen, since expensive technologies are needed to tap into the alternative fuel sources and make mass production possible.
The sobering outlook for energy resources was not discussed much yesterday as the House entertained a perennial favorite among lawmakers and the public: legislation enabling the Federal Trade Commission and Justice Department to impose on oil companies, traders and retail operators jail sentences and fines of up to $150 million a day for charging "unconscionably excessive" prices or taking "unfair advantage" of consumers.
The bill's enforcement provisions would be triggered if the president declared an energy emergency such as might occur if hurricanes disabled Gulf Coast oil fields and refineries as they did in 2005 after Hurricanes Katrina and Rita. The bill could be enforced by state attorneys general and class-action lawsuits.
The White House warned lawmakers that the bill would create a "vague and arbitrary regulatory regime," which would spur lawsuits and maybe even "bring back long gas lines reminiscent of the 1970s." The Federal Trade Commission has testified against the legislation, having found little evidence of price gouging in its many studies of the gasoline market.
"Price-gouging legislation is a solution in search of a problem and totally contradicts the advice given by the Federal Trade Commission," said National Petrochemical & Refiners Association official Charles Drevna. "We'd strongly encourage the Senate to consider the unintended consequences should it debate this or a similar bill."
"The bill represents an open invitation to ambitious state attorneys general to try their hand at suits against Big Oil," says Iain Murray, senior fellow at the Competitive Enterprise Institute, saying the bill's legal mechanisms would distort the market mechanisms that set gas prices in response to supply and demand.
"This is sheer populism and displays an outrageous ignorance of basic economics."

http://washingtontimes.com/business/20070524-121323-8807r.htm

poll numbers.... hmmmmm

CONGRESS – Job Rating
CBS/New York Times
5/18-23/07 (4/20-24/07)

Approve 36 (34) (2% INCREASE)
Disapprove 52 (54)
Unsure 12 (12)

PRESIDENT BUSH – Job Rating
CBS/New York Times
5/18-23/07 (4/20-24/07)

Approve 30 (32) (2% DROP)
Disapprove 63 (61)
Unsure 7 (7)

congressional approval rating 6% BETTER than Bush and rising. Bush's is dropping. And here I thought that you said that the "democrats" (synonymous with "congress" in RSR-world) were "tanking" in the polls and Bush had a better approval rating than they did? Looks to me like the trend for the "democrat" is positive, the trend for Bush is negative. What do you say about that? I suppose they probably polled more democrats than they did republicans this week? Or isn't it really all a matter of what "poll" you care to look at? I love the comment from superlative: "polls are only good for strippers and firemen".

I post this and say: let's quit relying on polls, shall we? Let's use our own words and debate the issues that confront us.

I am shocked

Not one lib is going to step up and defend the Dems on this??????

I would have considered responding to you, but then I realized it was just another in a long line of conservative editorial cut and paste jobs from you that you pump out in lieu of actually having to think or write anything yourself. I really am tempted to just cut and paste an editorial from some liberal website and post it "in response" to every one of yours. Wouldn't that be fun?

I am shocked

Not one lib is going to step up and defend the Dems on this??????

Defend what? You want me to come in and show you my poll is bigger than your poll? (which it most certainly is)

The only thing it would prove, is that polls dont mean shit.

And that you rely on polls to "prove" your claims, which means your claims dont mean shit.

poll numbers.... hmmmmm

CONGRESS – Job Rating
CBS/New York Times
5/18-23/07 (4/20-24/07)

Approve 36 (34) (2% INCREASE)
Disapprove 52 (54)
Unsure 12 (12)

PRESIDENT BUSH – Job Rating
CBS/New York Times
5/18-23/07 (4/20-24/07)

Approve 30 (32) (2% DROP)
Disapprove 63 (61)
Unsure 7 (7)

congressional approval rating 6% BETTER than Bush and rising. Bush's is dropping. And here I thought that you said that the "democrats" (synonymous with "congress" in RSR-world) were "tanking" in the polls and Bush had a better approval rating than they did? Looks to me like the trend for the "democrat" is positive, the trend for Bush is negative. What do you say about that? I suppose they probably polled more democrats than they did republicans this week? Or isn't it really all a matter of what "poll" you care to look at? I love the comment from superlative: "polls are only good for strippers and firemen".

I post this and say: let's quit relying on polls, shall we? Let's use our own words and debate the issues that confront us.

The Hotline poll taken at the same time has the Dems at 31%

Overall the Dems are at a lowly 32.6%

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/polls/archive/?poll_id=18

Defend what? You want me to come in and show you my poll is bigger than your poll? (which it most certainly is)

The only thing it would prove, is that polls dont mean shit.

And that you rely on polls to "prove" your claims, which means your claims dont mean shit.

My, libs are getting more pissed with each passing day

I am saying when you take the average of ALL polls - the numbers still stinks

so what? when you look at all the polls, you see that democrats in congress score 13% points higher than republicans.... those numbers stink worse. I'd worry about cleaning up my own act if I were you!

so what? when you look at all the polls, you see that democrats in congress score 13% points higher than republicans.... those numbers stink worse. I'd worry about cleaning up my own act if I were you!

Yea, right

The Dem Congress is at 32% and you think that is great news

Meanwhile the Dems are humilated by Pres Bush and you think all is well

Yea, right

The Dem Congress is at 32% and you think that is great news

Meanwhile the Dems are humilated by Pres Bush and you think all is well

congressional democrats poll 13% higher than congressional republicans. that is fact.

and of COURSE I don't think all is well. the American casualty rate in Iraq continues to escalate. I don't think ANYTHING is very "well".

congressional democrats poll 13% higher than congressional republicans. that is fact.

and of COURSE I don't think all is well. the American casualty rate in Iraq continues to escalate. I don't think ANYTHING is very "well".

Right

Dems run both the House and Senate

Yet the poll shows the ratring for Congress is 32% = yet that does not apply to the Dems

My poll that PROVES Dems are defeatests

I say again:

I mean, seriously RSR...think about this for a second:

you post polls and claim they PROVE things. I post polls and you don't even acknowledge that they INDICATE anything.

how the fuck does THAT work?

I mean, seriously RSR...think about this for a second:

you post polls and claim they PROVE things. I post polls and you don't even acknowledge that they INDICATE anything.

how the fuck does THAT work?

How about the fact you can not even be bothered with telling the LOONY TOONS in your party that they are crazy? Any support is ok? As long as the crazies will vote the way you like its ok for them to be frothing at the mouth INSANE?

I notice you can not be bothered to post in the thread about that EVIL mastermind Bush and how he is gonna take over by creating either a Nuclear war or by telling Mother nature to cause a Cataclysmic series of disasters, all before the vote in 2008 of course.

How about the fact you can not even be bothered with telling the LOONY TOONS in your party that they are crazy? Any support is ok? As long as the crazies will vote the way you like its ok for them to be frothing at the mouth INSANE?

I notice you can not be bothered to post in the thread about that EVIL mastermind Bush and how he is gonna take over by creating either a Nuclear war or by telling Mother nature to cause a Cataclysmic series of disasters, all before the vote in 2008 of course.

What the FUCK does the fact that I pay no attention to the fringe lefties have to do with the fact that RSR posts poll results and claims that they PROVE his points, yet refuses to even acknowledge that polls from equally valid pollsters that I produce even INDICATE anything?

I don't see you chastising any of the wackos on YOUR side of the fence, or are you suggesting that all the conservatives on here are reasonable folks?

If someone posted threads about Chelsea Clinton actually being the lovechild of Hillary and a MARTIAN, I would pay no attention to those either.

I blame Bush for misleading America about Saddam's WMD's and his connection to 9/11. I blame Bush for his ignorance of the dynamics in play in the middle east. I blame Bush for a terrible execution of an even more terrible foreign policy. I don't need to make shit up and I don't need to waste my FUCKING time responding to wacko claims that Bush is responsible for anything he is not.

What the FUCK does the fact that I pay no attention to the fringe lefties have to do with the fact that RSR posts poll results and claims that they PROVE his points, yet refuses to even acknowledge that polls from equally valid pollsters that I produce even INDICATE anything?

I don't see you chastising any of the wackos on YOUR side of the fence, or are you suggesting that all the conservatives on here are reasonable folks?

If someone posted threads about Chelsea Clinton actually being the lovechild of Hillary and a MARTIAN, I would pay no attention to those either.

I blame Bush for misleading America about Saddam's WMD's and his connection to 9/11. I blame Bush for his ignorance of the dynamics in play in the middle east. I blame Bush for a terrible execution of an even more terrible foreign policy. I don't need to make shit up and I don't need to waste my FUCKING time responding to wacko claims that Bush is responsible for anything he is not.

Well except RSR doesn't spew froth while demnouncing Liberals and making ludicrous claims. These people do. RSR is a right winger alright, but provide ONE post where he has claimed any loony Toons things?

He doesn't like your polls? So what? You don't like his..... I wonder why HE is then the problem? The two of you go n and on like 5 year olds... I DID NOT.... YES YOU DID...... for page after page.

You demand he provide evidence and then claim he links to much.... can't win for losing....

Now as to why you should care about the Loons in your party.... BECAUSE your silence is in fact your acceptance of their idiocy. You can't wait to jump all over some Republican for semantics but you don't care that the loons in your party post INSANE claims.

Well except RSR doesn't spew froth while demnouncing Liberals and making ludicrous claims. These people do. RSR is a right winger alright, but provide ONE post where he has claimed any loony Toons things?

He doesn't like your polls? So what? You don't like his..... I wonder why HE is then the problem? The two of you go n and on like 5 year olds... I DID NOT.... YES YOU DID...... for page after page.

You demand he provide evidence and then claim he links to much.... can't win for losing....

Now as to why you should care about the Loons in your party.... BECAUSE your silence is in fact your acceptance of their idiocy. You can't wait to jump all over some Republican for semantics but you don't care that the loons in your party post INSANE claims.

what fucking planet do you live on? all RSR does is spew forth crap about "libs" and "dems".

And if you would pull your jarhead out of your ass, you would know that RSR claims that his polls PROVE things yet my polls aren't even indicative of anything. Go to the thread "the RSR polls". Read posts #6 and #25. Respond to my points. debate me, for crissakes and quit whining.

And as I have said.....please point me to the thread and post number where you chastise any of the loonies on the right. My silence is not a fact that I accept anything. It is proof that I don't care to be bothered with stupidity. What is YOUR silence proof of?

Forum List

Back