Arrrgghhhh --- I love my truck, but....

CC s rarely go south
year model; and make?

1988 ford f150.

So the cat is over 20 years old. And if the tranny fluid has been leaking on to, it's probably been running hotter than the sun.

The way I see it, it all comes down to whether or not that fluid could have been leaking onto the cat. If so, then the cat is the problem. If not, then it's something else. It's just too much of a coincidence that I was blowing smoke immediately after adding tranny fluid, and now 2 days later this happens.

I'll know more wednesday though.

CC s rarely go south
year model; and make?

1988 ford f150.

So the cat is over 20 years old. And if the tranny fluid has been leaking on to, it's probably been running hotter than the sun.

The way I see it, it all comes down to whether or not that fluid could have been leaking onto the cat. If so, then the cat is the problem. If not, then it's something else. It's just too much of a coincidence that I was blowing smoke immediately after adding tranny fluid, and now 2 days later this happens.

Leaking fluid will not affect the function of the Catalytic converter. The thing is damn near cherry red hot all of the time. That is is it's job..to reburn any unused fuel. If you really want to know if the CC is/was the culprit... cut it open after it is replaced. The ceramic honeycomb will be plugged up.

CC s rarely go south
year model; and make?

1988 ford f150.

Leaking fluid will not affect the function of the Catalytic converter. The thing is damn near cherry red hot all of the time. That is is it's job..to reburn any unused fuel. If you really want to know if the CC is/was the culprit... cut it open after it is replaced. The ceramic honeycomb will be plugged up.

I'll do that. Thanks.

CC s rarely go south
year model; and make?

1988 ford f150.

I have an '85 f-150 4.9 inline six. It has the older style CatCon with the pellets.

I don't think it can clog up. I think it just stops working.

Edit...nope, they can clog up.

Pellet-type catalytic converter
The first type of automotive catalytic converter, introduced in the USA in 1975. It consisted basically of a sheet steel catalyst container surrounded by thermal insulation and a sheet steel outer shell. The catalyst container was fitted with one or two beds of ceramic pebbles (pellets) coated with a catalyst. This type of catalytic converter suffered from poor service life due to vibration-induced attrition of the catalytic coating; this also produced additional particulate emissions and the pellet bed caused high exhaust back pressure, resulting in poor engine performance. Pellet-type catalytic converters have been superseded by monolithic converters

Last edited:
1988 ford f150.

I have an '85 f-150 4.9 inline six. It has the older style CatCon with the pellets.

I don't think it can clog up. I think it just stops working.

Well, shit.

I guess the only way to find out is to take the damn thing off and replace it and see if it solves the issues.

edit to your edit:

OK, back on track with the cat being the main culprit then. lol.

Truck sounds waaaay throaty. Also seems to be loss of power, but since its such an old truck that could be any number of things. Also, truck seems to be overheating, but can't tell for sure. Temp gauge is and has been busted. But it got that knock that vehicles get when they are running too hot.

All happened in on the way to work this evening. (not like I've been driving around with it this way). So I'm praying it will get me home in the morning. The overheating issue is the one that worries me the most. I checked the coolant, and the level is fine.

My car started knocking when my catalytic converter needed to be replaced. It also lost power and started whining. It overheated just a little.

Replaced the catalytic converter, quit driving it on empty, and it's great now.

Thanks guys.

The trick is going to be getting it home later on this morning. After ya'lls help, some conversations with my buddy, and some google-fu, it certainly sounds like the cat.

Now just getting it home...

CC s rarely go south
year model; and make?

1988 ford f150.

Well good luck with all of this, it will be a drag either way paying or doing it yourself.

Forum List

Back