Are you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today, I am.
Tomorrow I may not be.
fingers-crossed_sxc-776014.jpg

☭proletarian☭;2186505 said:
I am, but sometimes I wish I wasn't.
If you weren't, you could not enjoy your non-existence. Hence, ending your existence is self-defeating.

That's assuming there is no afterlife, I believe in an afterlife. I think I have to.

If there were an afterlife, you would not cease to be, therefore you would still be, regardless of the fate of you body.

You posited the cessation of existence, which necessarily implies no afterlife, since to exist in another realm is still to exist.

☭proletarian☭;2186248 said:
Do you've evidence of this?

Of course. There's lots of proof. For starters, this discussion.
Proves nothing. This thread might or might not even exist. Even if it does exist, this thread could be the result of an experiment designed to develop an AI system capable of passing the Turing Test.

You've provided nothing to prove your existence.

☭proletarian☭;2187319 said:
☭proletarian☭;2186248 said:
Do you've evidence of this?

Of course. There's lots of proof. For starters, this discussion.
Proves nothing. This thread might or might not even exist. Even if it does exist, this thread could be the result of an experiment designed to develop an AI system capable of passing the Turing Test.

You've provided nothing to prove your existence.

I don't buy into abstract concepts, I usually base my theories on some sort of tangible evidence and this thread is tangible from my perspective. My perspective is from where I derrive my thoughts and conclusions. I have no rational reason to think that I do not exist, have you provided one?

I wake and I feel, every day. That is proof for me. I control my weight-goals, and I've manipulated my body to look how I've commanded it, through hard work and pain. I feel the hard work and pain, I see the results. That is proof for me.

Mere thought, in my opinion, is indeed *proof* of existence. What we know of "nothingness" is that it does not exist. That which does not exist does not argue who's philosophy stick is bigger over the internet. :eusa_whistle:

I don't buy into abstract concepts, I usually base my theories on some sort of tangible evidence and this thread is tangible from my perspective.

The thread is not tangible. You cannot see, touch, smell, hear or taste it. The monitor is tangible. You cannot know, ultimately, the source of the data that results in the electrons sent to the monitor, resulting in the image you perceive.
My perspective is from where I derrive my thoughts and conclusions. I have no rational reason to think that I do not exist, have you provided one?

I didn't ask about one's own existence. The challenge here is to prove the existence of any person other than the self or to prove your existence to another.
Mere thought, in my opinion, is indeed *proof* of existence
Can you prove to me that you think?

Cogito ergo sum
Assumes that the thing in question thinks.

Prove to me that you are a thinking, conscious mind existent outside of my own self.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back