Are you good enough to be a Muslim?

I

Indofred

OK, the thread title is a slight wind up but the topic is more serious.

This month is the Muslim holy month of Ramadan where all (Well, almost all) Muslims should fast in daylight hours.

Apart from all the religious stuff about fasting, it should remind us what it's like to be hungry and make us consider the people who are unable to eat because they're simply too poor to afford food.

Of course, not all Muslims who should fast, do so but the vast majority do.

Here's the challenge.

I ask you to take breakfast before sun up but not eat or drink anything until sundown.
If you manage, you'll have a pretty good idea what it's like to be hungry and have no hope of buying food.

With that thought - go out and be nice to someone.

This month is the Muslim holy month of Ramadan where all (Well, almost all) Muslims should fast in daylight hours.

Apart from all the religious stuff about fasting, it should remind us what it's like to be hungry and make us consider the people who are unable to eat because they're simply too poor to afford food.

Here's the challenge.

I ask you to take breakfast before sun up but not eat or drink anything until sundown.
If you manage, you'll have a pretty good idea what it's like to be hungry and have no hope of buying food.

Does this practice make Muslims more sympathetic than non-Muslims towards people who cannot get enough to eat? Do you have any statistics on the question?

Here's the challenge.

No hope is a difficult concept for a Monkey to grasp when he is only playing a part.

Here's the challenge.

Does this practice make Muslims more sympathetic than non-Muslims towards people who cannot get enough to eat? Do you have any statistics on the question?

Why not try it and find out if it alters your opinion?

Here's the challenge.

how about i make cinnamon rolls....and just torture you.

:lol:

I'll pass. I'd rather not screw up my metabolism...

And I'll make a cheese cake to add to Syrenn's Torture Buffet.

I think I'll make a big batch of crescent rolls and some buttermilk biscuits. They're so good hot out of the oven with melty butter.

I ate a rather nice breakfast at 4am yesterday and broke the fast after prayer time (About 6pm) with home made burgers, washed down with ice cold water from the freezer.

9277073160_e662065fac_z.jpg

Made from top quality beef and a variety of topping, they were delicious.
My wife likes salad so her burger had cabbage and stuff on it.
I had a plain burger with few onions, a cheese burger with melted cheddar and, as the maid who is a Christian so not fasting turned up late, I ate her BBQ burger as well.

That feast cost a small fortune by local standards so the vast majority couldn't afford it but I get a stupid salary so I can.
My salary is lower than it should be because I supply a local orphanage with their rice and various other things.
In my opinion - there's absolutely nothing wrong with earning large sacks of cash and having a good lifestyle as long as you assist those who have nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I ate a rather nice breakfast at 4am yesterday and broke the fast after prayer time (About 6pm) with home made burgers, washed down with ice cold water from the freezer.

I had a plain burger with few onions, a cheese burger with melted cheddar and, as the maid who is a Christian so not fasting turned up late, I ate her BBQ burger as well.

That feast cost a small fortune by local standards so the vast majority couldn't afford it but I get a stupid salary so I can.
My salary is lower than it should be because I supply a local orphanage with their rice and various other things.
In my opinion - there's absolutely nothing wrong with earning large sacks of cash and having a good lifestyle as long as you assist those who have nothing.

i tell ya... its no big deal not eating all day...... I would be at work at 4 and back at 7 and not eat a thing.....

Here's the challenge.

Why not try it and find out if it alters your opinion?

It doesn’t appear to me that moslems fast during Ramadan. They only change the time for meals from daytime to night time. There’s really not very much difficulty in that.

i tell ya... its no big deal not eating all day...... I would be at work at 4 and back at 7 and not eat a thing.....

So Ramadan is really just an excuse for binge eating?

No. We're opening a burger restaurant so we're exploring product lines.

No. We're opening a burger restaurant so we're exploring product lines.

maple pork burgers!!!

Pork is quite hard to find here and would potentially lose 86% of my customer base so wouldn't make good business sense.
I was inspired into capitalism by the great Maggie Thatcher who would never risk profits by adding a product based on ideals other than the profit motive.

Maggie may be dead in body but she lives on in so many of us.

As a note - I'm making a spicy spag bol at the moment.
It's going to be hot enough to send a rocket to the moon.

Here's the challenge.

You are not going to get an idea of what it is like to be starving and have no hope of buying food by fasting for a whopping 12 hours. Really, you have hope of getting food and you know when your next meal is.

I never really understood the idea of fasting anyway, it seems a silly concept.

No I doubt I am good enough to be a muslims. That's why I need the Atonement of Jesus Christ in my life.

mmmm......and fresh baked cookies!!!

how about i make cinnamon rolls....and just torture you.

:lol:

I find it interesting that all of the foods you are trying to "tempt" him with are sugary foods that are horrible for you. It also shows I think a bit of a misconception of the type of hunger that he is talking about. It is a type of hunger characterized by malnutrition and vitamin deficiencies which don't make you crave sweet foods, but instead make you crave foods that have those nutrients contained within them (a biological way of making sure we eat what we need). The fact that you are tying essentially nutrition-less foods to the practice rather showcases that you have missed the entire point of it.

Which as a side note seems also to be the case with some Islamic populations, particularly in the Gulf region where grocery bills tend to skyrocket during Ramadan because while people fast during the day they tend to also gorge to excess at night.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back