Are full germans ethnic in the US?

We've always been a melting pot of people from different nations and ethnicities, at least in my lifetime to grandparents lifetimes....

My maternal grandparents came from Italy, my fathers parents were all English and Dutch, with the exception of some great grandmother's that were Irish, and Scottish, my husband's paternal grandfather came from Germany, his paternal grandmother from Cuba, his maternal Grandfather's father came from Ireland, his grandmother had English roots....

I'm as American as one could be, and so is the hubby....and as mixed as one could be with European decent...

dunno. I should ask my mom's mom.

She told me grandma just turned 96 the other day.

I don't believe she ever considered herself as anything other than American though. . . even though in her youth, she spoke some German. And her sister was born there.

And her parents had to hide their heritage during the war.

. . . but yeah, like Care4all stated, the immigrants here, once here, adopted their new nation, spoke the new language, and made friends and new loves with the folks that were here.

My grandmother fell in love with an Irish Catholic, converted to Catholicism, and become more loved in that Irish Catholic family than their own son.

America is a shared sense of history and values, anyone can share the dream.

America -was- a shared sense of history and values, anyone can share the dream.
You are exactly correct regarding how America WAS. The efforts put in by the Left, their media 5th column, and political inbreds in DC have all but removed that common bond. When Schwab and his crew decide it's time for the "great reset", all these divisions they've engendered will set the stage for nothing less than a blood feud. The fools who seem chuffed at taking on the hateful role of cheering against "Right-wing" types will finally understand that they've been used and the goodies from Uncle Sugar are all gone. All that rage they feel so justified in spewing won't put a single meal on their table nor will it help them in any other way.
The plantation dwellers and I include criminal white trash in this too, will begin migrating to where they think resources may be found and they'll kill to take them and feel justified doing it. The only chink in their armor is that after they get far enough away from their blue cesspools, they'll find prepared, angry, HARD men and women who will quickly teach them about the deadly reality they've helped to cause.

they'll find prepared, angry, HARD men and women who will quickly teach them about the deadly reality they've helped to cause.
Unlike the soft right wing guys who have to get someone else to take them skydiving.

America -was- a shared sense of history and values, anyone can share the dream.
You are exactly correct regarding how America WAS. The efforts put in by the Left, their media 5th column, and political inbreds in DC have all but removed that common bond. When Schwab and his crew decide it's time for the "great reset", all these divisions they've engendered will set the stage for nothing less than a blood feud. The fools who seem chuffed at taking on the hateful role of cheering against "Right-wing" types will finally understand that they've been used and the goodies from Uncle Sugar are all gone. All that rage they feel so justified in spewing won't put a single meal on their table nor will it help them in any other way.
The plantation dwellers and I include criminal white trash in this too, will begin migrating to where they think resources may be found and they'll kill to take them and feel justified doing it. The only chink in their armor is that after they get far enough away from their blue cesspools, they'll find prepared, angry, HARD men and women who will quickly teach them about the deadly reality they've helped to cause.
I suppose, if you watch TEE VEE, and believe that propaganda, it no longer would seem that way.

. . . but, if you interact with real people, in actual communities, it still seems that way to me.

If they are not mixed with colonial English and maybe speak German at home?
They used to be. At one point there were 800 plus German language newspapers in the US. Despite what the revisionist historians on the right would have you believe, first generation people never did much "melting". It wasn't until their grandkids and later generations were born that the integration into American society happened in those families. The same is true with hispanics today.

Nope. Actually so many Germans came to the USA and had such as large cultural influence others seemed ethnic compared to them.

As Germans became one of the predominant immigrant groups of the 19th century, it was only natural that they would come to have a powerful influence over the development of American culture. Some German contributions to U.S. life are easy to pinpoint--sauerkraut, for example, or the tuba, or the national fondness for light, fizzy beer. However, the German influence on life in the United States runs much deeper, influencing many of the institutions, traditions, and daily habits that many today think of as being quintessentially American.

For example, the U.S. education system, from the lowest grades to the highest, would be unrecognizable without ideas championed by German immigrants. German culture has long cultivated a strong commitment to education, and Germans brought this dedication with them to their new home. In 1855, German immigrants in Wisconsin launched the first kindergarten in America, based on the kindergartens of Germany. Germans introduced physical education and vocational education into the public schools, and were responsible for the inclusion of gymnasiums in school buildings. More important, they were leaders in the call for universal education, a notion not common in the U.S. at the time.

German immigrants also brought their reforming zeal to America's recreational life--it can even be argued that Germans invented the American weekend. Before the arrival of the Germans, many communities in the American colonies observed a Puritan sabbath, with an emphasis on rest and family time spent at home. Germans, however, had a long tradition of organized Sunday recreation and were enthusiastic devotees of the Sunday outing. After the arrival of German immigrants, new large-scale recreational facilities began to appear in U.S. towns--picnic grounds, bandstands, sports clubs, concert halls, bowling alleys, and playgrounds, all suitable for a weekend excursion with the family. Germans were also fond of social clubs, and formed singing societies, theater groups, and lodges. Anyone who uses one of today's theme parks, civic orchestras, swimming pools, or urban parks owes a debt to the German passion for recreation.

German Couple, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Traditions that many think of as being fundamentally American, as being part of the nation's heritage since time immemorial, were either introduced or popularized by German immigrants in the 19th century. Several of the most familiar elements of the American Christmas celebration, from the Christmas tree to the gift-giving Santa Claus, were gifts from the Germans, as was the Easter bunny.

By the end of the 19th century, German Americans and German culture were generally accepted as necessary threads in the fabric of American life. They were less geographically and culturally isolated than in previous generations and increasingly spoke English as a first, rather than a second, language, all the while maintaining a vital written culture in German.

If they are not mixed with colonial English and maybe speak German at home?
There is no such thing as a "full blooded German".
The area of Switzerland, Germany and Austria are all the same people basically. People were nomadic and moved around the area.

Forum List

Back