Are Children Protected by Labor Laws?

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
One's own children I mean. Occured to me last night reading "Calvin and Hobbes" comics where Calvin's Dad tells him to pick up sticks in the backyard so he can mow the lawn. Calvin of course asks if he'll pay him. Dad says okay, one dollar. Calvin demands twenty-five to which his Dad answers "In a minute you'll do it for nothing because I told you to." Calvin gives in taking the dollar.

This gave rise to wondering how one's own children are frequently exploited doing work around the house under the disguise of chores. Shouldn't children be protected from sucj exploitation? Or is it written into the relevant laws if it's your own kids you can make them your slaves? :)

Exploited workers has been the GOP plan for years. And yes, that includes children.

Deciding I really wanted this to get answered I started googling around.

"Federal child labor laws set a minimum work age of 16 for most occupations, but the laws exempt minors who work in the agriculture and entertainment industries. Unless states pass their own rules, children who are 12 can work seven days a week outside of school hours picking fruits and vegetables. Age, hour, overtime and minimum wage provisions of the federal Fair Labor Standards Act that protect young workers in other fields don't apply."
Child Work: Agriculture, Entertainment Fair Labor Standards Act Exemption - Stateline

Though mostly applied to farms, it's quite interesting how we allow our children to do work we condemn other, often developing nations, for having their own minors do. Especially given how when we ourselves were a devloping nation, we used child/slave labor too just as modern countries are doing.

More to my original question is this,
Trafficked for Forced Household Labor, Not Family Chores

"Upon arriving in the U.S., LV, a sixteen-year-old girl from Ecuador, expected to go to high school and be paid to provide childcare for the family with whom she was to live. Instead, the family that brought her to the U.S. did not permit her to enroll in high school and, for over two years, forced her to work as a domestic servant in their home, providing daily childcare and performing household tasks for no pay.

When LV brought claims of trafficking and forced labor against the family, a New York federal court found last year that the forced work was not work at all – in part because she had a “close familial relation” with her traffickers. To the court, LV’s domestic service was akin to chores because her employers were extended family members.

But, as detailed in an amicus brief filed by Columbia Law School’s Sexuality and Gender Law Clinic as LV appeals her case, this practice, which has young people working as barely paid servants for employers who are – or appear to be – family members, is not infrequent."

So it seems that yes indeed, you can force your own kids or relatives to do what amounts to slave labor. Would seem that once again, as in times past, where our own interests lie, standards we demand in other countries aren't demanded at home.

IMO kids owe their parents for room board, clothes etc.

Making kids work would be good for them.

This is a Liberal/Marxist plan for reaching into our Homes and telling us how to live.

Paying a kid to do chores teaches them responsibility and the value of money.

Naturally, Liberal/Marxists don't like that. They hate anything that teaches kids to be Independent of Large Government.

Man Hating Feminists are always saying: "Keep your hands off my Uterus!"

Well then how about "Keep your hands Off my Family!".

Why would ANYONE think the Government knows better than YOU DO how to raise yer kids? Simply because they got elected?

Like I said to the to the Census worker who claimed I hadn't sent in my Census form. "Get the f*ck off my property before I call 911 and have you Arrested for Trespassing!"

You Liberal/Marxists just need to mind yer own f*ckin' business.

Work is good for kids to learn. What I object to is the double standards. We punish other countries for doing what we used to, and though only with older children, still do as on farms. How often has it come to light retail chains products were made by child labor? Perverbial seven year old making shoes somewhere yet we compel our own children to do that as well if on our own farm or in our own home calling it chores. I think one standard should be applied evenly to all, or none at all. I don't really care which way it goes so long as it's applied equally to all.

Same thing as when citizens film police speeding though not engaged in official duties. No speeding for us, so no speeding for them. That's how law should be.

I think one standard should be applied evenly to all, or none at all. I don't really care which way it goes so long as it's applied equally to all.
So you're in favor of World Laws and World Government right?

What happens to the Constitution, The Bill of Rights and our Government?

(I know what he's gonna' say)

Work is good for kids to learn. What I object to is the double standards. We punish other countries for doing what we used to, and though only with older children, still do as on farms. How often has it come to light retail chains products were made by child labor? Perverbial seven year old making shoes somewhere yet we compel our own children to do that as well if on our own farm or in our own home calling it chores. I think one standard should be applied evenly to all, or none at all. I don't really care which way it goes so long as it's applied equally to all.

Same thing as when citizens film police speeding though not engaged in official duties. No speeding for us, so no speeding for them. That's how law should be.

How do we "punish" other countries that don't have the same child labor laws we do?

IMO if a parent wants to make their kids work around the home 40 hours a week that's fine with me.

I see no double standard in not allowing businesses to hire children as the home environment and the business environment are not analogous in the least.

How do we "punish" other countries that don't have the same child labor laws we do?

IMO if a parent wants to make their kids work around the home 40 hours a week that's fine with me.

I see no double standard in not allowing businesses to hire children as the home environment and the business environment are not analogous in the least.

Economic sanctions typically are the result.

I think one standard should be applied evenly to all, or none at all. I don't really care which way it goes so long as it's applied equally to all.
So you're in favor of World Laws and World Government right?

What happens to the Constitution, The Bill of Rights and our Government?

(I know what he's gonna' say)

I am with the proviso it be something like the Federation from Star Trek. A democratic system. Sooner we unite under one rule globally, the sooner we'll quit waging wars with our own species. We don't go to war with states (any more at any rate) because we're one country. That's how it should be globally.

With some tweaks, our Constitution could work globally. Are vast differences that have to be allowed for in different cultures like, but generally speaking basic Constitutional freedoms we enjoy everyone should get to.

Forum List

Back