Appalachia is Burning

Went out up the BRP just to see if I could see anything from a high ridge. Went up to about 5000 feet but saw nothing but a murky grey fog sitting on everything making it impossible to see more than a short distance. It's like fog.

Got a smoke alarm ringing in the house, in a place where I didn't even know there was a smoke alarm.

Not good here in SC upstate. Hoping the wind blows some of it away today.

Went out up the BRP just to see if I could see anything from a high ridge. Went up to about 5000 feet but saw nothing but a murky grey fog sitting on everything making it impossible to see more than a short distance. It's like fog.

Got a smoke alarm ringing in the house, in a place where I didn't even know there was a smoke alarm.

Not good here in SC upstate. Hoping the wind blows some of it away today.

It's been smoky-haze all day here although not nearly as thick as yesterday. Wind shift.

North Carolina JIC

i got this link from ag department ......we are having air alerts being told to stay inside.....i was in spruce pine yesterday....it was a bit smokey looking back off the parkway....you can smell the smoke....when you go out...

North Carolina JIC

i got this link from ag department ......we are having air alerts being told to stay inside.....i was in spruce pine yesterday....it was a bit smokey looking back off the parkway....you can smell the smoke....when you go out...

What's your altitude at home Bones? Here is about 31-3200.

We've got bright sunshine although the distance is still hazy. Nothing like Sunday was but still a presence.

i have no clue.....just got the alerts to stay in...we are at unhealthy

we are just over 3000 ft damn you an look anything up on google lol

it was pretty day here....the acid air smell is gone...

15032737_1301691183209598_8867458783653265994_n.jpg

#UPDATE: This is the information we have so far on the Tiger Creek Fire. From what we gathered through radio traffic it sounds like multiple fires burning in the area of A Miller Road and near Nelson Cemetary. Several departments on scene working to contain the fires. We cannot confirm how the fires started and do not have the exact amount of acreage burning at this time. Due to starting my shift at work I will no longer be able to update unless other admins become available. Pray for these firefighters and residents! As always stay safe and have a great day everyone.

roan mt area has had a practicing arsonist for some time now.......this is far enough away...a few ridges that i am not worried right now...but close enough to other homes that it is concerning....i hope they can get it out today...and from passed experiences....he will set peter's place on fire and the ridge above the prison....everyone has been holding their breath....now it has happened...

now saying fires are 'contained' ....reporting dozens of small fires breaking out ....i know one man was hailed as a hero for using his bare hands to try to put out a fire on the roan...after calling 911....has the roan caught it would be major damage to the whole area....he was treated for burns to his hands

DAYum, woke up to a sky that looked for all the world like it's about to pour but it's not. Even though I felt a little spray on my face it's just temporary humidity with strong winds coming in so NOAA is saying extreme fire hazard weather.

All it'll take is some yahoo like the idiot from Florida who bought property here, thought he was gonna conquer the woods and build a road to nowhere, took down a bunch of trees and then lit 'em all on fire. In the woods. Same guy who jacknifed his trailer in his driveway and didn't have the sense to unhook the trailer to get out. Fortunately he's gone but yesterday I saw a smoke coming out of a chimney --- while it was 70 degrees outside. Gotta wonder if some people were dropped on they heads.

So we got winds, bigly winds overnight. Winds in this holler will strip the bark right off the trees. Could get some power lines down even if we don't get fires. No rain in the forecast until the 27th.

Yeah I see the word "contained" used on these events a lot, even though they have over 800 personell, 66 engines, choppers and the kitchen sink working out in Nantahalla; Fortunately for us it's still confined to south of I-40.

Stay safe and alert out there.

Mercy it is THICK out there today 'round these parts. Not quite as hazy as the day I started this thread but as soon as you walk outside it smells like your own yard is burning. They told us it was Code Red for fine particulates with the wind shift, and they did not understate it. :uhh:

Seeing rain in the forecast, a week away. That's a long projection for a forecast but they call for three days in a row so maybe it happens. Yesterday one of those days called for snow. :eusa_dance:

Mercy it is THICK out there today 'round these parts. Not quite as hazy as the day I started this thread but as soon as you walk outside it smells like your own yard is burning. They told us it was Code Red for fine particulates with the wind shift, and they did not understate it. :uhh:

Seeing rain in the forecast, a week away. That's a long projection for a forecast but they call for three days in a row so maybe it happens. Yesterday one of those days called for snow. :eusa_dance:

Holy SHIT it just got way worse in the last half hour. It's like pea soup fog now. You can look straight at the sun, if you can find it.

This is the worst I've ever seen.

I couldn't see the mountains on my drive back from the flying club this morning. Just a gray haze. The air's pretty good today though from where we are in SC. Good to get out for a change. Probably won't last.

Holy SHIT it just got way worse in the last half hour. It's like pea soup fog now. You can look straight at the sun, if you can find it.

All fingers crossed that the winds stay in your favor. The wind is what you have to watch. Don't stay and fight back the sparks from your roof. If they say git, git.

All fingers crossed that the winds stay in your favor. The wind is what you have to watch. Don't stay and fight back the sparks from your roof. If they say git, git.

Actually we need the winds to change. These fires are a loooong way away from here (50-100 miles) and we're being sent the smoke by winds from that direction.

I took a ride up and down the Parkway to find a high vantage point -- couldn't see much. Had to get above 5000 feet to even start to get above it all.

It's bad. Smoke everywhere, outdoors and indoors.

RAIN!! :eusa_dance:

Rain rain rain. It's comin'. I went out to Graham County to get west of all the smoke and there's a nice steady shower coming down here. It's mapping out to go right over all the fires. And it'll be on and off for two days, and then possibly back again. Finally, the worst is over.

strollingbones Brynmr --- relief is on the way. :banana:

Forum List

Back