Appalachia is Burning

unfortunately a careless toss of a ciggie...a spark from a campfire...some fucking nuts who just like to set fires and we could all be in the same situation

Went out up the BRP just to see if I could see anything from a high ridge. Went up to about 5000 feet but saw nothing but a murky grey fog sitting on everything making it impossible to see more than a short distance. It's like fog.

Got a smoke alarm ringing in the house, in a place where I didn't even know there was a smoke alarm.

CxKl0c1XgAA0i8c.jpg

Cathy Anderson (@cathyanderson27) | Twitter

i grabbed this off twitter.....looking at south mountain state park

Ho Lee Fuk, that's right down below Marion. Closer and closer. Could be part of what we're seeing.

Sigh...

Pogo thinks we don't know why he brought this up.

It's a Current Event. One that is in flux as we speak.

Obviously this is a LOT of forest. Folks are already being evacuated and that could apply at any moment to myself, Bones or thousands of other people. And I brought in detailed info about it. So did Bones. That's a public service.

If you don't like it go find another thread to troll, troll.

Here's another good resource to keep track -- Inciweb

I'm watching Old Roughy. It's close to a friend's house.

They've got assistance already in from 21 states, as far as Alaska.

fuck the lake lure fire got bigger last night and is much closer to the town...like right there now....the old dirty dancing inn is in danger..

so marion south of marion is on fire? that would explain the 'burke county references to fire' son lives on jonas ridge..said he sees a lot of smoke but no fires.....

good luck pogo...if these fires increase it will reach you long before it does me.....blessings be to you and yours...remember to get the animals out if you have to go..that thought scares me....leaving.....i know he wont leave....and i wont leave his dumb ass....

fuck the lake lure fire got bigger last night and is much closer to the town...like right there now....the old dirty dancing inn is in danger..

so marion south of marion is on fire? that would explain the 'burke county references to fire' son lives on jonas ridge..said he sees a lot of smoke but no fires.....

good luck pogo...if these fires increase it will reach you long before it does me.....blessings be to you and yours...remember to get the animals out if you have to go..that thought scares me....leaving.....i know he wont leave....and i wont leave his dumb ass....

Inciweb doesn't seem to have that update on Lake Lure (their name "Party Rock") -- actually South Mountain ("Chestnut Knob") is slightly closer to me but they're both to the south -- they'd have to cross I-40.

They both look relatively small on the map too -- if you click on any of the Inciweb links you get a Google map that shows all the fires in proportional sizes... the big'uns seem to be Tellico and Maple Springs out in Cherokee country so my friend's place is more in the line of fire.

So nothing close or in the windward direction so mostly we keep alert for new ones. The smoke has greatly lifted today, so far.

I never did find out what that plume of smoke from Spruce Pine last Thursday was. Maybe it was small enough they got to it right away.

Caught the full moon coming up last night from the parkway but it was so smoky you could barely make it out at all.

Good fortune, blessings and positive karma on our brave firefighters.

I wish my all Appalachian brothers and sisters safety during this scary ordeal. Also, rain. lol

Last edited:
Not that many streets so those snowflakes have found something else to burn.

Clever little buggers, nu?

Not even a hint of snowflakes 'round these parts. It's endless sumer icumen in around here.

I've still got tomatoes and peppers growing, even budding. I only fired up my heat in the last week and have yet to use it steadily. So the heat is another factor. Humidity has been way down -- this is normally the wettest part of Appalachia. I've seen it rain for literally ten straight days in the past. Not now though.
You think it could be global warming?

I certainly remember it being colder in certain places when I was little.

Not even a hint of snowflakes 'round these parts. It's endless sumer icumen in around here.

I've still got tomatoes and peppers growing, even budding. I only fired up my heat in the last week and have yet to use it steadily. So the heat is another factor. Humidity has been way down -- this is normally the wettest part of Appalachia. I've seen it rain for literally ten straight days in the past. Not now though.
You think it could be global warming?

I certainly remember it being colder in certain places when I was little.

Who knows. We humanoids don't have the perspective to figure that out. All we know is it hasn't rained in way too long, in an area it usually rains way too much, and this is the result.

This has been quite an abnormal summer. I didn't even start my heat until a week ago.

Me and my wife stay around Lake Lure in 2010 for a week. It's a beautiful and magnificent place hate to see it go away. I'm familiar with the story of Dr. Lucius B. Morse.

Me and my wife stay around Lake Lure in 2010 for a week. It's a beautiful and magnificent place hate to see it go away. I'm familiar with the story of Dr. Lucius B. Morse.

If it's necessary you might want to check out Lake James, not far east of there. Gorgeous place.

And don't tell anybody, K?

Forum List

Back