Apocalypto

roomy

The Natural
Apr 22, 2006
Mel Gibsons latest creation and a brilliant one it is too.Subtitles put a lot of punters off but don't let it, it is a fast paced and very violent chase movie.You are in for a treat.

I like a lot this movie. People and medias said it was very violent, well, not so violent in fact. Or, not so many bloody violence. the Passion of the Christ is more violent for me.
This movie, Apocalypto, is a really good action and adventure movie, the pursuit scene, about 45 minutes, is really great, you can't take your breath, really fast rythm, excellent.

But, one question : The action took place at the begining of the XVIth century, probably around 1517. At this time, the Mayas were no more on Earth. So, did mel Gibson commit an awesome mistake, or is it something else ?
My friends and I think that the tribe of Jaguar's leg (dont sure of the name in english, I translate it from french) is a Maya tribe, surviving in the forest, kind of survivors. And then, the "bad boys", who lead the nice tribe to the city with the temples, would be Aztecs. Aztecs had a solar religion, like the other civilizations, but they were also a federative nation, they took enemies to organize human sacrifices. like the bads in Apocalypto.

So, nice would be Mayas, bads Aztecs. This is less irrelevant for historical truth.

But, one question : The action took place at the begining of the XVIth century, probably around 1517. At this time, the Mayas were no more on Earth. So, did mel Gibson commit an awesome mistake, or is it something else ?
My friends and I think that the tribe of Jaguar's leg (dont sure of the name in english, I translate it from french) is a Maya tribe, surviving in the forest, kind of survivors. And then, the "bad boys", who lead the nice tribe to the city with the temples, would be Aztecs. Aztecs had a solar religion, like the other civilizations, but they were also a federative nation, they took enemies to organize human sacrifices. like the bads in Apocalypto.

So, nice would be Mayas, bads Aztecs. This is less irrelevant for historical truth.

One of the best movie of 2006.
I don't think Mel Gibson will have done such a HUGE mistake (Even if the last chinese movie " Man cheng jin dai huang jin jia" AKA "La cité interdite" did it.). So I definitely agree with your Maya / Aztec theory.

Forum List

Back