AP sues Zimmerman over latest artwork

If I sit in my front yard a paint a picture of my neighbor's house, do I need permission from my neighbor to sell the painting? After all, I don't own his house.

If you took a picture of your neighbor's house you took the picture and own that image. You don't own the house, just the image. It't like taking a picture of the Statue of Liberty. You took the picture. You own that image. If you used a picture someone else took of the Statue of Liberty and used it for your own purpose, you don't own that image and stole it.

Anybody could take a photograph of the Statue of Liberty. If I happened to use one that YOU took (even if you could get your version copyrighted) as the template to do some graphic artwork, it is highly unlikely that you could successfully sue me for the "use" of "your" particular photograph.

That said, there IS still the copyright law itself and the fair use doctrine that makes the question a slightly open one. In short, it appears that AP may have some case, but I don't think they have much of a legitimate claim for damages.

I wouldn't be shocked to learn someday that Zimmerman and AP "settle" this dispute without disclosing the "terms" of the settlement. History does tend to repeat itself.

The Statue of Liberty?

:cuckoo:

He was not proven "innocent"... just not guilty..

That's legal hair splitting. No one is ever proved "innocent" in a court of law. However, in objective reality, we know he is innocent, just as we know that force of gravity makes matter accelerate towards the earth at a given velocity.

What we KNOW ... is that the State couldn't prove it's case.. nothing more.
Quite, they didn't have one.

That's legal hair splitting. No one is ever proved "innocent" in a court of law. However, in objective reality, we know he is innocent, just as we know that force of gravity makes matter accelerate towards the earth at a given velocity.

Not legal hair splitting at all. Look it up. There's a huge difference.

Another example is OJ. He was also found not guilty while being legally responsible for the crime. That's why he was found guilty in civil court. If Florida wasn't so damn crooked, gz would also be guilty in a civil court.

If I sit in my front yard a paint a picture of my neighbor's house, do I need permission from my neighbor to sell the painting? After all, I don't own his house.

If you took a picture of your neighbor's house you took the picture and own that image. You don't own the house, just the image. It't like taking a picture of the Statue of Liberty. You took the picture. You own that image. If you used a picture someone else took of the Statue of Liberty and used it for your own purpose, you don't own that image and stole it.

Anybody could take a photograph of the Statue of Liberty. If I happened to use one that YOU took (even if you could get your version copyrighted) as the template to do some graphic artwork, it is highly unlikely that you could successfully sue me for the "use" of "your" particular photograph.

That said, there IS still the copyright law itself and the fair use doctrine that makes the question a slightly open one. In short, it appears that AP may have some case, but I don't think they have much of a legitimate claim for damages.

I wouldn't be shocked to learn someday that Zimmerman and AP "settle" this dispute without disclosing the "terms" of the settlement. History does tend to repeat itself.

The case will be settled when Zimmerman stops offering the painting for sale. That's what a cease and desist is.

If you remember when John McCain and Sarah Palin were running for P and VP, the campaign started using Barracuda, by Heart as a theme. Heart sent a cease and desist and nothing happened but the campaign could no longer use the song. A cease and desist goes no further than that unless the subject of the cease and desist has already made money off the use. Then all that money must be disgorged to the rightful owner.

What we KNOW ... is that the State couldn't prove it's case.. nothing more.

Which means he's innocent dumbass.

Not legal hair splitting at all. Look it up. There's a huge difference.

Another example is OJ. He was also found not guilty while being legally responsible for the crime. That's why he was found guilty in civil court. If Florida wasn't so damn crooked, gz would also be guilty in a civil court.

You are now twice an idiot.

Florida isn't crooked and GZ is innocent.

This is the thing that attracts me to GZ arguments. It brings out the racism, the ignorance, and the hypocrisy of the left for all to clearly see.

George has exposed the left for what they truly are and for that alone, I'd buy him a drink or two if I met him.

Do you realize what you just posted?

Yes.. I know exactly what I posted... even though my field was civil litigation instead of criminal law.
Is some one's "field" working in a law office making the coffee?
That's like some one claiming to be a "writer" when they 'Vanity publish' a pamphlet about how to wipe a Prince's bum in KSA.

Do you realize what you just posted?

Yes.. I know exactly what I posted... even though my field was civil litigation instead of criminal law.

Is some one's "field" working in a law office making the coffee?
That's like some one claiming to be a "writer" when they 'Vanity publish' a pamphlet about how to wipe a Prince's bum in KSA.

Actually I had a long career in healthcare law and both defense and prosecution of medical malpractice.. and BTW I co-wrote 2 books that have a wide circulation..

You sound like a perfect ass.

I could be wrong, I'm not a copywrite lawer, but I think that if I were to go and do painting of a copywrited picture that is displayed to the public, then my artwork is still my art work. I suspect that GZ could win a case if this were to go to court. However why bother! Just hold this one back and make another painting. The lawyers love Zimmerman, he has made them tons of $$$$$.

Actually, the lawyers hate Zimmerman because he stiffed them. He still owes the guys who got him off on the Trayvon Murder 2.5 million dollars.

The news agency said it sent a letter to Jayne Weintraub, one of Zimmerman's attorneys, asking that the sale of the painting "be blocked — and that, if there has been a sale, that the AP be paid damages."

On Friday, Zimmerman, who uses the Twitter handle "TherealGeorgeZ," wrote on his account: "No worries AP, I'll just take whatever U sue me for off your tab when I'm done suing you. Or ... I could put out how much U offered me 2."

AP spokesman Paul Colford said, "We don't know what he's talking about
."

The news agency had a similar spat with artist Shepard Fairey over his use of an AP photo of then-Sen. Barack Obama for the artist's famous "HOPE" poster, which became popular during the 2008 presidential campaign. The legal dispute ended in 2011, when Fairey agreed to pay AP $1.6 million.

AP accuses George Zimmerman of using its photo in his artwork - latimes.com

One of these days, the combination of Zimmerman's stupidity and arrogance is going to the be the end of him. He's getting more and more like OJ every day.

Actually, the lawyers hate Zimmerman because he stiffed them. He still owes the guys who got him off on the Trayvon Murder 2.5 million dollars.

The news agency said it sent a letter to Jayne Weintraub, one of Zimmerman's attorneys, asking that the sale of the painting "be blocked — and that, if there has been a sale, that the AP be paid damages."

On Friday, Zimmerman, who uses the Twitter handle "TherealGeorgeZ," wrote on his account: "No worries AP, I'll just take whatever U sue me for off your tab when I'm done suing you. Or ... I could put out how much U offered me 2."

."

The news agency had a similar spat with artist Shepard Fairey over his use of an AP photo of then-Sen. Barack Obama for the artist's famous "HOPE" poster, which became popular during the 2008 presidential campaign. The legal dispute ended in 2011, when Fairey agreed to pay AP $1.6 million.

One of these days, the combination of Zimmerman's stupidity and arrogance is going to the be the end of him. He's getting more and more like OJ every day.

No question.. George is dumb as a brick..........

."

No question.. George is dumb as a brick..........
Perhaps not the brightest of people, but a damned sight smarter than that thug who got himself killed. Chalk another one up for Darwin.

There is so much fucking stupidity masquerading as discussion in this thread that I can't even. Do you all even have a clue how disturbing it is when Katz is the most level headed poster in a thread?

Forum List

Back