Anyone Who’s Read Stephen King’s The Stand Think of Coronavirus?

Mar 3, 2013
Right coast, classified
Only book of his I enjoyed. Seemed plausible then, even more today.
upload_2020-3-7_18-39-15.jpeg

For those of you unfamiliar with it, from wiki:

The Stand is a postapocalyptic horror/fantasynovel by American author Stephen King. It expands upon the scenario of his earlier short story "Night Surf", and presents a detailed vision of the total breakdown of society after the accidental release of a strain of influenzathat had been modified for biological warfarecauses an apocalyptic pandemic, killing off over 99% of the world's population. Published in 1978, The Stand was King's fourth novel, and remains (in its "Complete & Uncut" edition) the longest stand-alone novel King has published.

FYI- The Doc responsible for leading the effort to find a vaccination, Dr Richard Hatchett:

‘This is the most frightening disease I’ve ever encountered in my career.’

Twitter

View attachment 310961

The Stand is a postapocalyptic horror/fantasynovel by American author Stephen King. It expands upon the scenario of his earlier short story "Night Surf", and presents a detailed vision of the total breakdown of society after the accidental release of a strain of influenzathat had been modified for biological warfarecauses an apocalyptic pandemic, killing off over 99% of the world's population. Published in 1978, The Stand was King's fourth novel, and remains (in its "Complete & Uncut" edition) the longest stand-alone novel King has published.

FYI- The Doc responsible for leading the effort to find a vaccination, Dr Richard Hatchett:

Twitter

Several novelists and screenplay writers seem about to become prophets in this regard. Even the Simpsons writers seem to have predicted something similar. That being said, yes, The Stand crossed my mind recently due to Corona Virus in the news. We'll have to be on the lookout now for Randall Flagg.

A long novel by Stephen King and it was a series on TV. The virus was nicknamed "Capt.Trip". Stephen King had a pretty long cameo role. The virus escaped from a (yawn) U.S. government facility in Texas as I recall.

“That wasn't any act of God. That was an act of pure human fuckery.”

M-O-O-N, that spells the best book King ever wrote.

I've read it three times. The original published in 1978, the uncut edition, and the original again. Every time I hear of these sorts of things, flu epidemics and such, I'm quick with the Captain Trips references.

Later this year, CBS All Access will be airing it as a mini-series. The second time a network has done this.

The only real exposure that I have had to Steven King so far is through the film named The Langoliers and that is only because I love so much actor Bronson Pinchot who plays one of the lead characters named Mr. Toomey.

God bless you and him and Mr. King always!!!

Holly

^^^ Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but why are certain stories even labeled short stories in the first place when they end up going on for a long enough time anyway?

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Langoliers was a good TV movie too! The blind girl was beautiful. Like Laura in the Stand.

I read the original stand then the next one he finally put an ending on. Read the original and go WTF, was no ending.

View attachment 310961

Twitter
Good book, Not a bad miniseries either.

But coronavirus doesn't really remind me of it.

Captain Trips was a genetically engineered superflu.

View attachment 310961

Twitter

Several novelists and screenplay writers seem about to become prophets in this regard. Even the Simpsons writers seem to have predicted something similar. That being said, yes, The Stand crossed my mind recently due to Corona Virus in the news. We'll have to be on the lookout now for Randall Flagg.
Randall Flagg takes on many faces. Lets just say he's one of the dems.

View attachment 310961

Twitter

And so is coronavirus. It came from a lab in China. I'm surprised nobody is upset with china for leaking a dangerous bio weapon.

The precursor to The Stand was a short story he published in 1969 called Night Surf. It appeared in Ubris magazine which was published by the University of Maine. Night Surf is where you'll find the first mention of Captain Trips.

It was optioned for $1.00 and made into a short film.

There seem to be a few versions of it on YouTube, not sure if any of them are the original...

If you want to read it, a heavily revised version of it can be found in the collection of short stories published in Night Shift.

Yes, I was once a very big King fan, the he wrote Gerald's Game. what a suckfest that was. Since that book, only 1963 Has been worth reading, IMO.

View attachment 310961

Twitter

And so is coronavirus. It came from a lab in China. I'm surprised nobody is upset with china for leaking a dangerous bio weapon.
Second time in 10 minutes I get to use this meme!

e04.jpg

Forum List

Back