Anyone know what this is???

Gracie

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2013
Lost
20jr1pl.jpg

6gzzat.jpg

Hubby picked them up at a yard sale today but we have no clue what they are. Magnet doesn't stick to them. Gold doesn't tarnish, so maybe brass? Or a bunch of different precious metals mixed together? Anyone familiar with smelting? The bag was buried in a box of very old railroad train stuff....metal thingies that went on the side of engines, two horns, etc. He didn't even see the bag until he got home with his haul. So I said I would ask here if anyone knows what this could be?

It is HEAVY. Guesstimate is about a pound..maybe 2 lbs. He thinks maybe it came off some sort of machinery? I, too, hope it is worth something. I could buy a small mobile home somewhere in Arizona! Or a killer RV!

Wish I could read what is marked on the bag. Looks like HER something something, then maybe ALLOY?

Whassat, Tank? And that's in texas, lol. I will see if I can find a smelter a bit closer to me here in ol Californy. :)

lol. If it was real, I would pay for you guys to go on your Meeting Field Trip, then I would go buy my little cabin or mobile on a plot of land and wait for your pics to be posted of the Get Together on my brand new Laptop. :)

20jr1pl.jpg

6gzzat.jpg

Hubby picked them up at a yard sale today but we have no clue what they are. Magnet doesn't stick to them. Gold doesn't tarnish, so maybe brass? Or a bunch of different precious metals mixed together? Anyone familiar with smelting? The bag was buried in a box of very old railroad train stuff....metal thingies that went on the side of engines, two horns, etc. He didn't even see the bag until he got home with his haul. So I said I would ask here if anyone knows what this could be?
Brass most likely. Look at the color of the oxidation.

It's not brass, it is Bronze, a copper silicon alloy, which is worth more than Brass.... the finest statues are made in bronze....

It should definitely be worth some money, from someone....

Herculoy is 92 percent copper.

Copper is about 3 bucks a pound.

It's not brass, it is Bronze, a copper silicon alloy, which is worth more than Brass.... the finest statues are made in bronze....

It should definitely be worth some money, from someone....
Well, I didn't really care enough to do any research on this, but silicon? I don't recall that being part of the Bronze alloy...However, the oxidation is the main clue and this does look to be bronze.

STAGE 1:
INDUCTION is when normal oxidation takes place, normally
producing the dark brown copper oxide film which can be a
protective barrier against future pollutants. The actual film
composition is dependent upon the type and concentration of
pollutants in the atmosphere, upon the duration of exposure,
and upon the relative degree and duration of wetness on the
surface. High concentrations of sulfides in the atmosphere
can dramatically alter the result of stage 1, producing less
protective, even potentially damaging films. The rate of
oxidation can also have an effect on long term durability of
the surface finish; oxides formed over longer time periods
seem much more resistant to deterioration.

STAGE 2:
THE CONVERSION OF THE TOPMOST METALLIC SURFACE TO COPPER
SULFATE normally begins to occur on surfaces with the most
severe exposure, such as horizontal surfaces. Oxygen
deprivation and deposition of particulates and moisture create
a catalytic situation where electrolytic reactions occur.
(This is the same principle as a battery, where the charged
ions move from a positive to a negative pole.) The visual
symptom of this phase is the formation of thin, light green
patches on the more exposed areas

Taken from Bronze: Characteristics, Uses And Problems

Forum List

Back