Anyone Else's Family Blowing Up Over Politics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cecilie1200

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Many of you have probably read my posts making reference to my older sister, who is the token leftist bully in my family (Mom has admitted that she fell on her head as a baby). This is a woman who threw an all-day screaming tantrum at our 80-year-old mother, threatening to throw her out of the house with nowhere to live, simply because Mom rather mildly defended Trump's Presidency. Everyone in the family basically avoids talking about politics or social issues anywhere that she might overhear, simply because we know that she'll immediately butt in and turn the event - whatever it might be - into an ugly screaming match, and no one considers the hassle to be worth it.

Well, no one until my oldest son, Nick.

My daughter, Nick's older sister, posted a shot of a Tweet on her Facebook, showing a chart with the differences between the two parties on certain subjects, obviously with a right-wing perspective.

Mind you, my daughter doesn't especially like my sister, and basically never talks to her, and never responds to anything she says or does on Facebook. This never stops my sister from feeling the need to interject into any politics-related post my daughter makes. This time, she felt the need to comment dismissively, about how it was all "kid information" (I assume this is in contrast to the deep, insightful analyses she posts about "Orange Man BAAAD!").

Nick happened to see this conversation (He's usually the only 24-year-old in North America who avoids Facebook). This was his response:

I feel it's very succinct. It's still important to the overall political sphere to remember what each side is advocating for outside of their presidential candidate, especially since Trump's saying the same things he's always said and nobody has any idea what Biden's actually saying.

Sis gave an almost boilerplate, hypocritical leftist answer:

The information given is not true or valid. It is skewed based on someone's misinterpretation and prejudice. There needs to be objectivity.

This from a woman who routinely re-posts attack articles from Vox.com.

Nick proceeded to write a lengthy essay back, basically telling my sister that she's a biased bully trying to silence anyone who disagrees with her bigoted perspective, and to back off of his "beloved older sister", as he put it. Now I'm just waiting for the family shit to hit the fan . . . although she may need a thesaurus to figure out that she's just been told. I didn't even know Facebook allowed posts that long. My favorite part was this:

And speaking of prejudices, this is coming from you, who responded to someone's post by referring to it as kid information, fundamentally devaluing them and their opinion by dismissing it off-hand as something you consider inferior and generally beneath you, and refuse to consider the position they find themselves in which leads them to believe that which they do as it objectively is. No, rather you refer to it as either idiocy or a malicious attempt to do exatly what you've just done to my beloved older sister, since you can't believe someone extremely intelligent and capable is able to view things in a different way than you view them.

Mind you, I'm proud of my kids, and I'm very proud that my son can verbally open up a can of whoop-ass on anyone, and that he's so energized AND thoughtful about the upcoming election. But . . . hoo BOY, is this about to get ugly.

Not sure any family fights quite the way mine does, but is anyone else's family re-enacting the Civil War over the upcoming election?

His answer shows the difference of tolerance of political views. Very well said.

Sorry you have to deal with her intolerance.

I love my sister, and she's a wonderful person outside of political discussions. I've always figured family is God's way of making you deal with people you would otherwise never talk to, in order to build character.

I will tell my son you liked his comment. I really am quite proud of him . . . but I'm pretty sure we'll be doing Thanksgiving solo at our house this year.

Many of you have probably read my posts making reference to my older sister, who is the token leftist bully in my family (Mom has admitted that she fell on her head as a baby). This is a woman who threw an all-day screaming tantrum at our 80-year-old mother, threatening to throw her out of the house with nowhere to live, simply because Mom rather mildly defended Trump's Presidency. Everyone in the family basically avoids talking about politics or social issues anywhere that she might overhear, simply because we know that she'll immediately butt in and turn the event - whatever it might be - into an ugly screaming match, and no one considers the hassle to be worth it.

My daughter, Nick's older sister, posted a shot of a Tweet on her Facebook, showing a chart with the differences between the two parties on certain subjects, obviously with a right-wing perspective.

Mind you, my daughter doesn't especially like my sister, and basically never talks to her, and never responds to anything she says or does on Facebook. This never stops my sister from feeling the need to interject into any politics-related post my daughter makes. This time, she felt the need to comment dismissively, about how it was all "kid information" (I assume this is in contrast to the deep, insightful analyses she posts about "Orange Man BAAAD!").

Nick happened to see this conversation (He's usually the only 24-year-old in North America who avoids Facebook). This was his response:

I feel it's very succinct. It's still important to the overall political sphere to remember what each side is advocating for outside of their presidential candidate, especially since Trump's saying the same things he's always said and nobody has any idea what Biden's actually saying.

The information given is not true or valid. It is skewed based on someone's misinterpretation and prejudice. There needs to be objectivity.

Nick proceeded to write a lengthy essay back, basically telling my sister that she's a biased bully trying to silence anyone who disagrees with her bigoted perspective, and to back off of his "beloved older sister", as he put it. Now I'm just waiting for the family shit to hit the fan . . . although she may need a thesaurus to figure out that she's just been told. I didn't even know Facebook allowed posts that long. My favorite part was this:

And speaking of prejudices, this is coming from you, who responded to someone's post by referring to it as kid information, fundamentally devaluing them and their opinion by dismissing it off-hand as something you consider inferior and generally beneath you, and refuse to consider the position they find themselves in which leads them to believe that which they do as it objectively is. No, rather you refer to it as either idiocy or a malicious attempt to do exatly what you've just done to my beloved older sister, since you can't believe someone extremely intelligent and capable is able to view things in a different way than you view them.

Mind you, I'm proud of my kids, and I'm very proud that my son can verbally open up a can of whoop-ass on anyone, and that he's so energized AND thoughtful about the upcoming election. But . . . hoo BOY, is this about to get ugly.

Not sure any family fights quite the way mine does, but is anyone else's family re-enacting the Civil War over the upcoming election?
My sister, whom I love dearly AND live with, does NOT like our president. But that's OK, because we seldom talk politics. My sister gets her ONLY political news from Yahoo, which is extremely anti-Trump, AND she's a supporter of Bernie Sanders. You can see WHY we don't talk politics too much. But she doesn't like Biden that much either. THAT'S a good sign.

A part of my family is made up of right wing nut bags. They can calmly discuss how the new stop sign in town is a leftist/communist plot to take away their rights while talking about how their preacher's sermon on lying and adultery made allowances for grabbing pussy and birthers.

Even my mom a life long democrat hates how the TDS people have been and the news outlets disrespect of the president. Now one of her close neighbors is a TDS peep and she tried to pull the "what would Jesus think" and got into "heaven" "Trump", etc. She kept getting angrier and angrier as I explained to her that the Whitehouse is not heaven and the Dems threw God out years ago until a point where I quickly reamed her ridiculous comments. I haven't heard from her since.

A part of my family is made up of right wing nut bags. They can calmly discuss how the new stop sign in town is a leftist/communist plot to take away their rights while talking about how their preacher's sermon on lying and adultery made allowances for grabbing pussy and birthers.

We are all sinners in the sight of God. That does not preclude a sinner from being a leader who does good things for people of faith.

My brother-In-Law is a big German dude who is a great guy unless you venture into politics. Then he turns into a Trump hating, yelling whack job. We really like each other so we both learned to side step politics when it starts going that way.

Your problems are in the mirror. Look at your behavior here with anyone who disagrees with you.

And examine your response....

My sister, whom I love dearly AND live with, does NOT like our president. But that's OK, because we seldom talk politics. My sister gets her ONLY political news from Yahoo, which is extremely anti-Trump, AND she's a supporter of Bernie Sanders. You can see WHY we don't talk politics too much. But she doesn't like Biden that much either. THAT'S a good sign.

Most of my family TRIES not to talk politics. Problem is, my sister takes that as permission to shoehorn HER political views into every-damned-thing, in the sure knowledge that the rest of us will show the courtesy she refuses to, and she will spew unchallenged. Last Thanksgiving, my 11-year-old, Quinn, asked if we could all do the thing where we go around the table and say what we're thankful for. Every other answer was some variation of, "I'm thankful for having my family, finding a new job, moving into our new house, etc." until it came to my sister, who said, "Well, I'm thankful that Trump is finally going to be impeached." The entire table went dead silent while everyone stared at her like she'd just got up onto the table and taken a shit on the centerpiece, and she just went right on chattering away about . . . I forget what, as though nothing had happened. She was certain that no one would ever call her on her horrible rudeness.

Again, until Nick got excited about his first election.

Kudos to your son, maybe that will be a wake up call of sorts for your sister.

Your problems are in the mirror. Look at your behavior here with anyone who disagrees with you.

First of all, Cornball, you people aren't my family. You aren't anyone at all, from where I sit.

Second of all, didn't ask your opinion about my family, and can't express how much I don't value your opinion on that, or anything else.

Your problem is in thinking you're a person. Please look into that.

Kudos to your son, maybe that will be a wake up call of sorts for your sister.

I'm not betting on it. But it's probably a good learning experience for him.

First of all, Cornball, you people aren't my family. You aren't anyone at all, from where I sit.

Second of all, didn't ask your opinion about my family, and can't express how much I don't value your opinion on that, or anything else.

Your problem is in thinking you're a person. Please look into that.

See what I mean? Of course you don't.

I didn't mention your family.

But I can see why they are keeping their distance from you.

Not my family blood is thicker than politics.

I'm guessing that means either your entire family thinks the same, or one side has managed to utterly bully and cow the other into silence.
I wouldn't expect anything less from a small mind it shows how you function when you can't fathom people who can love someone no matter who they vote for...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back