Anybody else hate small engine repair?

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
Or is it just me?

Invariably something goes wrong half way thru the repair that throws my troubleshooting into a tail spin.

I had this Poulan weed trimmer idling fine and was trying to get the high idle set when I noticed a crack in the intake boot. So I figure I'll replace it real quick in case it's screwing up the air/fuel mixture.

Easy-Pease...it's done.

All of a sudden it won't start again AND the primer bulb isn't pulling fuel through the carb.

I've already replaced the fuel filter...that ain't the problem. Maybe I opened a crack in a brittle fuel line. Nope...new fuel lines...no joy? Primer bulb leak? New one installed...no change.

Tried gently blowing through the fuel intake tube...seems completely blocked.

Long story short (too late) after replacing the diaphragm (the old one looked ok but I had the kit already and had to remove it to see why the needle valve wasn't opening)...the primer bulb started pulling fuel again and I got it idling (again)...then finally got the high side set and it's running again.

But...that diaphragm was working yesterday. I had it running and could keep it running at significant throttle, but had to feather it to keep it from dying.

Maybe this is just me...but once I rule out something as not being the problem...it sure would be nice if it stayed ruled out. It really gets frustrating when it doesn't.

20210304_121854.jpg

Or is it just me?

Invariably something goes wrong half way thru the repair that throws my troubleshooting into a tail spin.

I had this Poulan weed trimmer idling fine and was trying to get the high idle set when I noticed a crack in the intake boot. So I figure I'll replace it real quick in case it's screwing up the air/fuel mixture.

Easy-Pease...it's done.

All of a sudden it won't start again AND the primer bulb isn't pulling fuel through the carb.

I've already replaced the fuel filter...that ain't the problem. Maybe I opened a crack in a brittle fuel line. Nope...new fuel lines...no joy? Primer bulb leak? New one installed...no change.

Tried gently blowing through the fuel intake tube...seems completely blocked.

Long story short (too late) after replacing the diaphragm (the old one looked ok but I had the kit already and had to remove it to see why the needle valve wasn't opening)...the primer bulb started pulling fuel again and I got it idling (again)...then finally got the high side set and it's running again.

But...that diaphragm was working yesterday. I had it running and could keep it running at significant throttle, but had to feather it to keep it from dying.

Maybe this is just me...but once I rule out something as not being the problem...it sure would be nice if it stayed ruled out. It really gets frustrating when it doesn't.

View attachment 464286
Use 50- 1 --NO ethanol--and never use the same mix longer than 2 months.

Last edited:
I only use electric or manual these days, I have portable electric generators now, got rid of all the all the two cycles except for a 6.5 horse push mower that still works fine, except I have to file on the safety switch now and then because the copper corrodes, being open to the air, which is annoying, and the gas tank cracked once, which caused it to start up and run for a few seconds then die for some reason; glad I found the crack before the damn thing caught fire.

Forum List

Back